Conti Cost Of Ownership

KiaCeratoHB

actually opposite for me.

if really buy another used conti, outside of BENZ  ,BMW ,AUDI.

i would take VW anytime over renault , citron, peugeot, seat ,afa

...how about Opel?? you did mention leh

↡ Advertisement

Amongst the 3, Merc would be the best bet in terms of reliability and cost of parts. Some Merc parts are cheaper than Honda parts.

No experience with Merc, but in terms of reliability I would say generally:

Swede > German > Brit > French/Italian

I stop at German, dare not try Brit/French.  Italian experience (years ago) was mixed.

Parts no issue if you bother to search online and ship in from US/UK/Europe.

...how about Opel?? you did mention leh

Opel should go with Brit/French in my opinion.

Supersonic

I would get the Merc in terms of reliability and ease of finding parts.

If you are getting a used car, you can try to maintain and procure the parts at the workshops outside, unless it's still within AD warranty. Should be cheaper than the AD workshop. Try to get those used cars certified pre-owned by AD or at least assured by the AD people. I think only PML sells certified pre-owned cars under their own agent.

However if you are getting a new car, get those with at least 3 years servicing and 5 years warranty. Try to bargain for more credits for servicing in the sales contract if applicable. 

I would avoid VW at all costs if it is using dry clutch gearbox. I almost wanted to get a Golf 2 years ago if not for its reputation of the gearbox. In the end, get a Japanese.

Edited by DACH
  • Praise 2

Supersonic

A Toyota altis will set you back approximately 2k monthly at today's prices including loan payments, road tax, insurance, petrol, parking, maintenance at AD. A conservative estimate will be 1.5x to 2x of that 2k monthly.

My china car annual maintenance fee at AD was 500+ excluding the major service periods.

500+ is still ok given that some of the Japanese cars servicing packaging already into 300+.

No experience with Merc, but in terms of reliability I would say generally:

Swede > German > Brit > French/Italian

I stop at German, dare not try Brit/French. Italian experience (years ago) was mixed.

Parts no issue if you bother to search online and ship in from US/UK/Europe.

Opel should go with Brit/French in my opinion.

how about Czech?

Supersonic

every cents xtra i spent on my conti repair is worth it.

And it aint that much more if you ask me.

When frens or colleagues ask me what car to consider, i my reply depend sort of personality they are

For those oredi sold on conti, i point them to what suits them best for their budget

For those thinking of making the switch to conti, I encourage them to try to experience the better driving dynamics

For those who grew up on a diet of sushi or kimchi, i juz tell them juz stick to what they are familiar with.....

• Praise 1

If you service the car regularly and don't abuse it there's no reason why costs should be much higher.

My bimmer hasn't seen the workshop in 3.5 years other than for oil changes.

I agree too. Please get advice from actual European car owners. Not from people who have never owned or driven one before who based their experience from Person A who told Person B who told Person C.
  • Praise 1

Its all down to luck but if from my experience owning the F30 the only major payment I made to PML for parts related so far was in March 2018 for 1.8k that was to change front/rear brake pad & battery

Car came with the 5 year inclusive service so no need pay for service

So far no downtime, servicing usually takes about 1.5 hours or so

My Mini Cooper was also problematic free, maintenance was lower than the bimmer.

Hi Guys,

I've only owned Asian cars so far and recently feel like getting a conti car. May I know how much more does it cost to maintain a conti car say around the level of Golf GTI, C250 & X3?

I'm ok with the purchase price but my friends are warning me that the real costs comes if after buying. Maintenance, parts replacements, repairs and the downtime at workshops; the frequency as well as waiting time for parts.

So far I've owned a Corolla, Cefiro, Waja, Cerato, Stream and Wish. Cars never spent more than 1 night at workshops.

Its all down to luck but if from my experience owning the F30 the only major payment I made to PML for parts related so far was in March 2018 for 1.8k that was to change front/rear brake pad & battery

Car came with the 5 year inclusive service so no need pay for service

So far no downtime, servicing usually takes about 1.5 hours or so

My Mini Cooper was also problematic free, maintenance was lower than the bimmer.

Have you change your ATF during servicing?
  • Praise 1

Ang MO chia, Ang Mo price, one has to fork out at least 20-30% more, some even more than 35% higher . . .

I had driven BMW, Benz, Alfa Romeo, Opel, WoWo, Passat/ Passat CC & Saab as compared to Toyo Mazda, Honda, Kia, Suzuki and even SSyong . . . what happened to Daihatsu ? Died a natural death !!

All BMW AD don't change ATF.

It is a "lifetime" oil.

Haha lifetime indeed. Drain off all black like kopi o

Edited by Rayoflight

My french car, renault, is all good after 2 years. Maybe is becoz it has a manual gearbox. However, it was built in palencia, spain. Free svcing for 3 years, doing my 4 svcing soon. Comes with 5 year warranty

Edited by donchew76
  • Praise 1

I got Citreon with 5 years warranty + 5 years free servicing. Gave me a piece of mind to try out French driving experience. 

• Praise 1

If not black like kopi-o, tranny uplorry already.

Yup...my mechatronics uplorry on 79k km due to lifetime ATF:(

I think only PML sells certified pre-owned cars under their own agent.

Cycle preowned wing is Republic:)

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2