Why conti cars use dial instead of lever for seat

Kensh09

Found that conti such as VW, Citroen and Peugeot uses dials instead of lever in japanese car to adjust seat recline angle. Why do they use that when lever is so much more convenient and faster to adjust?

Edited by Kensh09
↡ Advertisement

Supersonic

Found that conti such as VW, Citroen and Peugeot uses dials instead of lever in japanese car to adjust seat recline angle. Why do they use that when lever is so much more convenient and faster to adjust?

Because conti cars need to have class, so use electronics to do the adjustments to make it look high tech, which means class.  [sly]

• Praise 1

Because conti cars need to have class, so use electronics to do the adjustments to make it look high tech, which means class.  [sly]

He is not talking about Electric Seats lah.......He is asking Manual Adjusting,why Conti,,used Turn type,not like Japanese used Level type of adjustment.

This should be very old Conti Cars...almost all Modern ones,should be Electric Seats...

• Praise 1

He is not talking about Electric Seats lah.......He is asking Manual Adjusting,why Conti,,used Turn type,not like Japanese used Level type of adjustment.

This should be very old Conti Cars...almost all Modern ones,should be Electric Seats...

The VW Golf GTI that I drove over the weekend, front passenger seat is manual. Using turn knob to adjust recline.

I find that using turn knob is more accurate to adjust the seat to your favourite angle. While lever is usually having fixed recline angles.

• Praise 1

The VW Golf GTI that I drove over the weekend, front passenger seat is manual. Using turn knob to adjust recline.

I find that using turn knob is more accurate to adjust the seat to your favourite angle. While lever is usually having fixed recline angles.

agree with you. I believe the lever is easier to manufacture also

• Praise 1

Turn knob takes a lot more effort to adjust especially if u want to recline at a steep angle to rest whereas lever only takes 1 second.

errr.. maybe japanese used car differently?

they need Fast action to turn to a flat bed?  [laugh]

• Praise 2

Turn knob takes a lot more effort to adjust especially if u want to recline at a steep angle to rest whereas lever only takes 1 second.

Resting at home is better than in car.

:XD: :XD:

Likely due to patents. 

• Praise 1

Resting at home is better than in car.

:XD: :XD:

no choice lah....sometimes have to wait for family in car so take chance to sleep mah....

Opel Astra is turn knob. Haha

ya lah....many conti cars use turn knob....almost all jap cars use pull lever.

errr.. maybe japanese used car differently?

they need Fast action to turn to a flat bed? [laugh]

I can identify with that! By the time turn and turn all the way down, not steam already..LOL
  • Praise 1

Turn knob is the knob that adjust the angel while level is only the locking mechanism, angel is determined by our back!

no choice lah....sometimes have to wait for family in car so take chance to sleep mah....

ya lah....many conti cars use turn knob....almost all jap cars use pull lever.

My passengers wait for me and NOT the way around.

Limpeh NOT Ahmad.

That's not difficult to answer. If you compare the two mechanism obviously one requires to use a spring(Japanese makes) and the other no need to use a spring but maybe using pinion gears. Plus the dial is able to make minute adjustment when compared to the lever type. Depends on how you want to look at it. Come to think of it the lever also need something like a ratchet gear to work. I think it's the car makers' preference.

Maybe the Japanese are more kinky. The lever type can go to a missionary position much more faster? The Europeans like to take their time and do more foreplay hence that use the dial type? [laugh]

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

Haha these are low end conti that still use dials.

I consider them worse than Japanese or Korean cars.

Proper contis use buttons since a very long time ago.

↡ Advertisement