BMW kanna ban in SKorea

Kensh09

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/south-korea-to-ban-about-20000-bmw-vehicles-after-engine-fires

Singapore BMW owners be aware.

SEOUL (REUTERS) - South Korea's transport ministry said on Tuesday (Aug 14) that it has banned some 20,000 BMW vehicles from the streets amid mounting public fears about engine fires. The ban took effect at midnight on Tuesday.

The driving ban comes after 27 engines went up in flames between January and July, which prompted BMW’s Korea unit to apologise last week and issue a recall of 106,000 diesel vehicles -  including the 520d model - from Aug 20.

Amid public concerns over safety, the government order affects about 20,000 BMW cars that are part of the recall but yet to receive safety checks, according to the transport ministry.

"I am asking owners of the BMW cars subject to the recall to actively cooperate to prevent bigger accidents, despite your inconvenience," Transport Minister Kim Hyun-mee told a press conference.

Those who own the affected vehicles can drive for safety checks, the ministry said, adding that the ban is intended for quicker safety checks rather than punitive action against the owners.

Officials at the German automaker identified the root cause as defects in the exhaust gas re-circulation system, while the South Korean government is conducting a separate probe into the case and planning to take legal action if necessary.

The recall order would be effective as soon as owners of the affected cars receive a mail notice, as early as Aug 15, the transport minister said.

Edited by Kensh09
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Hope only affects the 5 series diesels, since there are quite a number of 1 and 2 series diesel cars in Singapore. 

Turbocharged

"BMW said it found the cause of the engine fires was leaks in their exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) coolers. That caused fires when vehicles were driven at high speeds for long periods of time.

"The root cause is hardware issues. This has nothing to do with software issues," Johann Ebenbichler, BMW's vice president for quality management, told reporters in German, interpreted by a translator. He also said the fire will only occur while the vehicles are being driven.

"I'd like to make it clear. This cannot happen when a vehicle is parked."

not convincing. In US many bmws went up in flames while parked too.

edit: found the earlier findings were electrical. Any sg owners affected?

In May of 2017, ABC News’ investigation found 40 scenarios in the last five years, where parked and unused BMWs caught fire unexpectedly. Some of the vehicles have been found to be subject to both recalls.

The first recall impacts 12 models for wiring and electrical connectors that control air flow for heating and air conditioning system which may overheat. From 2006 to 2011, this recall affects the following models: 323i, 325i, 325xi, 328i, 328xi, 330i, 335d, 335i, 335is, 335xi, and M3. Roughly 672,000 cars are covered under this recall.

The second recall impacts 8 models for an electrical shortage that can cause parts of the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) valve to melt, heightening the risk for fires despite the vehicle not being used. The PCV valve helps release gases from an internal combustion engine. From 2006 through 2011 this recall affects the following models: 128i, 328i, 525i, 528i, 530i, X3, X5, and Z4, impacting over 740,000 vehicles by this recall.

Edited by Karoon

not convincing. In US many bmws went up in flames while parked too.

I'm going to say that I prefer my bmw to burn when it is parked and not when i am driving it.