Do you wash your food before cooking?

Ender

Personally, for meat, I think still have to wash.

http://www.asiaone.com/health/6-foods-you-should-not-wash-cooking

6 foods you should not wash before cooking

Washing food before cooking is widely thought of as the best way to get rid of bacteria. However, the practice is not always advised, according to the United States Department of Agriculture.

Reader’s Digest states a list of six food items to never wash before cooking. They are as follows:

1. Poultry and fish

“By washing raw chicken in the sink, you are likely to spread the bacteria all over your kitchen, including clean surfaces like countertops, through splashing and dripping,” said Eric Sieden, director of nutrition and food services for Glen Cove, Plainview and Syosset hospitals in New York.

This rule also applies for fish. Directly cooking both either poultry or fish is the only truly effective way to get rid of any bacteria.

ALSO READ: To wash or not to wash raw chicken

2. Red meat

In terms of spreading bacteria, washing red meat brings the same danger as washing poultry or fish, as it creates added moisture to the meat.

“The added moisture during washing will create steam that will also affect taste,” Sieden said.

The best way to avoid this is to keep water away or by patting the meat beforehand with a paper towel to get rid of excess moisture.

3. Pre-washed produce and salads

When purchasing a packaged salad marked pre-washed or triple-washed, there is no need to wash it again.

In addition to saving water, keeping packaged greens away from the sink will reduce the risk of cross-contamination from other foods.

4. Mushrooms

“Most chefs will tell you that you never soak or wash mushrooms to clean them, but wipe them with a damp paper towel since they absorb water like a sponge,” Sieden said.

As a result of the extreme absorbent nature of mushrooms, having them in contact with water for too long can result in a change of taste, causing them to become soggy and rubbery.

5. Eggs

Although washing eggs before cooking them is commonly practiced, it may affect the natural coating on eggs that helps prevent bacteria from permeating the shell.

Washing eggs could remove the coating and make the skin more vulnerable to the spread of bacteria.

6. Pasta

Another food item that should not be washed before and after cooking is pasta. Washing pasta will remove the starch that helps hold the sauce, as well as the overall flavor of the pasta. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I think the only thing I dont wash is mushroom and banana, even melons and pineapples I wash the outside before cutting.. [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Washing veg, fruits, rice n food etc, without using a proper filter can be v harmful for health. Especially veg n fruits, they will absorb harmful chemicals from tap water, not only will affect freshness of food, but also allow us to consume chloride, fluoride n many others harmful metals into our body as these chemical has high boiling point which can't get rid off despite cooking. N such chemicals is harmful to human health, one of the main root cause for cancer n decrease immunity. Investing in a reliable alkaline water filter is the most economical, most convenient and most effective method to main better health n boost immunity.

I washed all my raw meat.

If bacteria splashed onto the sink, so be it.

I cleaned up the sink anyway after cooking.

Bacteria is always around when area is wet, so the trick is to dry up the place, the sink, cooking area, clothes. I have a fan for this purpose.

I use Kao color bleach in a spray bottle. It'll kill most of the bacteria.

It's also good for degreasing, in combination with baking soda and dishwashing fluid.

On 8/23/2018 at 12:22 AM, Kb27 said:

I washed all my raw meat.

If bacteria splashed onto the sink, so be it.

I cleaned up the sink anyway after cooking.

Bacteria is always around when area is wet, so the trick is to dry up the place, the sink, cooking area, clothes. I have a fan for this purpose.

I use Kao color bleach in a spray bottle. It'll kill most of the bacteria.

It's also good for degreasing, in combination with baking soda and dishwashing fluid.

Nothing like hot water.

1 hour ago, Ct3833 said:

How to wash minced pork.

Go to the porky counter, tell the porker that you want that piece of meat cut, washed and minced. Don't pick the prepacked version.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Ct3833 said:

How to wash minced pork.

No matter how you wash minced pork, the meat still not clean la. Best way is to cook it. Lol.

• Haha! 1

On 8/15/2018 at 11:28 PM, DACH said:

Poultry and fish, I will still wash.

Just don't wash it over the sink la.

Then where ? Toilet ? Not i ask one, I help my maid to ask.😀

• Haha! 1

10 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

Then where ? Toilet ? Not i ask one, I help my maid to ask.😀

You are replying to DACH posted in 2018? Dont think he will reply since he had MIA long long ago liao. 😅

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1