Coated, still getting water marks and scratches

Guysmokey

Hi all,

last year my new car was coated (i paid over $1k for it) by one of the more reputable coating companies. Car was only 2 days old when it was coated.

6 months later, there were scratches on the boot surface, and water marks on boot, roof and bonnet. The applied hydrophobic effects on the windscreen is also gone. I sent the car back to touch up.

Another 8 months later, I had to respray certain panels because I cannot take the scratches. Yup, some ppl scratched my car. But besides that, I have many lines near the door handle, and lines on the bonnet and boot. I've never put anything on them.

The guy who repainted my car told me the water marks on my car very bad. I told him cos I park outdoor daily, thats why I know. I did coating to prevent, also cannot. I have to send it back to be re-coated.

So after 1 year 2 months of ownership, I don't think I get what I paid for. Maybe coating is not suitable for people who park outdoors. 

Am I the only one who feels that coating was over-rated? Or it has limited capabilities when it comes to handling the harsh weather, especially for people who park outdoors. What could be a better solution? (besides clean the car everyday! haha)

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Hi all,

last year my new car was coated (i paid over $1k for it) by one of the more reputable coating companies. Car was only 2 days old when it was coated.

6 months later, there were scratches on the boot surface, and water marks on boot, roof and bonnet. The applied hydrophobic effects on the windscreen is also gone. I sent the car back to touch up.

Another 8 months later, I had to respray certain panels because I cannot take the scratches. Yup, some ppl scratched my car. But besides that, I have many lines near the door handle, and lines on the bonnet and boot. I've never put anything on them.

The guy who repainted my car told me the water marks on my car very bad. I told him cos I park outdoor daily, thats why I know. I did coating to prevent, also cannot. I have to send it back to be re-coated.

So after 1 year 2 months of ownership, I don't think I get what I paid for. Maybe coating is not suitable for people who park outdoors. 

Am I the only one who feels that coating was over-rated? Or it has limited capabilities when it comes to handling the harsh weather, especially for people who park outdoors. What could be a better solution? (besides clean the car everyday! haha)

May I know who wash your car? and how often?

Coating no use if you wash your car at those petrol kiosk. Cause confirmed there would have scratches on your car paint.

Its also no use if you park outdoors and it rains.....and you never wipe off the rainwater on time,

Coating no use if you wash your car at those petrol kiosk. Cause confirmed there would have scratches on your car paint.

Your car must be black or dark-ish coloured. You cannot get such colours if you are parking outdoors often. Get silver. You don't have to waste money on what coating or spend time polishing.

But another factor is the quality of the paint you have to considered too. From experience I find that Japanese car paint coating thin and not lasting.

Edited by Watwheels

Hi all,

0.002mm coating protection cant last even one month under outdoor parking.

That's why mostly must send back for touch-up or call it maintenance.

Our hair is already 0.100mm thick.Cant even protect your head.what do you think?

PPS is good business you know....So many such shops in Singapore. Mobile ones also have. Somemore can coat without correcting paintwork first. He super NO.1

0.002mm coating protection cant last even one month under outdoor parking.

That's why mostly must send back for touch-up or call it maintenance.

Our hair is already 0.100mm thick.Cant even protect your head.what do you think?

I wash it myself once a week. That's how I noticed all the scratches.

Like wat RogerNg_185295 said, I now feel that all these coating are overrated.

Seems like now they have a "stranglehold" on me that I have to go back to them to maintain. DIY wax myself, I waste the money. 

Sorry if this thread sounds gloom, but I'm thankful to every bro's reply here. I'm quite certain my next car, I will just wax more regularly myself. At least I can still claybar or polish.

My car is indeed dark-coloured. 

• Praise 4

I wash it myself once a week. That's how I noticed all the scratches.

Like wat RogerNg_185295 said, I now feel that all these coating are overrated.

Seems like now they have a "stranglehold" on me that I have to go back to them to maintain. DIY wax myself, I waste the money.

Sorry if this thread sounds gloom, but I'm thankful to every bro's reply here. I'm quite certain my next car, I will just wax more regularly myself. At least I can still claybar or polish.

My car is indeed dark-coloured.

Is it ceramic pro?

PPS is good business you know....So many such shops in Singapore. Mobile ones also have. Somemore can coat without correcting paintwork first. He super NO.1

Don't blame them.

Everyone out just for a living.

Blame Singapore car too expensive.Even a BB car cost 70k above.

This is my country,this is my land,this is my car.lol.........

Like what SKTan said, cost of car ownership in Sg is too heavy until one would rather hurt himself cos he will heal than to see his car scratched. Learn to let go and the car is meant to serve you for 10 years. Its part and parcel of ownership to get scratches, marks of all kinds, dings, and chips. 

• Praise 3

Don't blame them.

Everyone out just for a living.

Blame Singapore car too expensive.Even a BB car cost 70k above.

This is my country,this is my land,this is my car.lol.........

Blame them for giving consumers unrealistic expectations

Like what SKTan said, cost of car ownership in Sg is too heavy until one would rather hurt himself cos he will heal than to see his car scratched. Learn to let go and the car is meant to serve you for 10 years. Its part and parcel of ownership to get scratches, marks of all kinds, dings, and chips. 

No matter how well you maintain your car, the car also only last for 10 years. Lol.

• Praise 1

Washing can introduce scratches depending on the method and equipment used.

PPS is not perfect,  it is just another sacrifical layer.

Use the newer generation of spray on wax for another sacrificial layer.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2