Hyundai Elantra or Kia Cerato

Joelwong

which generation altis u coming from? G11 or G10.

I drove an altis from 2008 to 2015. I can say the elantra is just a lot better in every way lah except for the steering feel which is a bit less precise. but i drove the new altis when i bought the elantra, so i can safely say i don't feel any difference except the altis was a bit more powerful to accelerate (but really who cares with a 1.6L car).

but k3 must really get the SX. the other trims don't even have VSC or 6 airbags

The elantra is so heavy. no wonder FC is quite poor. i only averaging 12+ km/L. Lol same as my altis when i got it in 2008. If i recall, the prev generation was only high 1200+ kg.

Driving the G10, 5 years old. Car is quite ok. But after test drive the civic and SX noticed it is more hollow.

Have a mental block whether to change to SX. Elantra has been around so it don't suit me.

↡ Advertisement

but k3 must really get the SX. the other trims don't even have VSC or 6 airbags

The elantra is so heavy. no wonder FC is quite poor. i only averaging 12+ km/L. Lol same as my altis when i got it in 2008. If i recall, the prev generation was only high 1200+ kg.

Yes agree. VSC or ESC is a basic yet important safety feature that can save life in emergency. Should be included.

Changed my booking from EX to SX for added safety features such as 6 airbags, ESC, hill assist, front n back parking sensors, electrochromatic rear view mirror.

Edited by Forte_Horizon_Blue
  • Praise 1

Driving the G10, 5 years old. Car is quite ok. But after test drive the civic and SX noticed it is more hollow.

Have a mental block whether to change to SX. Elantra has been around so it don't suit me.

g10 should be COE car liao.

G9 is the hipporolla, G10 is the first thai altis. G11 is the older one running around roads which i had. G12 is the current one

g10 should be COE car liao.

G9 is the hipporolla, G10 is the first thai altis. G11 is the older one running around roads which i had. G12 is the current one

Haha so it is G11. Registered in July 13. 4 speed AT. Think the CVT G12 came out a few months later.

Haha so it is G11. Registered in July 13. 4 speed AT. Think the CVT G12 came out a few months later.

ic. B&B cars have come a long way. especially for rear legroom and boot size. The G11 rear legroom is really not good though the cushion for the seats is more comfortable. Better than my elantra

Edited by Lala81

ic. B&B cars have come a long way. especially for rear legroom and boot size. The G11 rear legroom is really not good though the cushion for the seats is more comfortable. Better than my elantra

Haha so any views to offer.

should I hang on the current car and bear higher operating coe. Or change to KIA Cerato.

Frank thoughts on the Cetato: it has an old engine. The brand seem to cycle its cars very fast, Some models only last 4 years if I am not mistaken.

Haha so any views to offer.

should I hang on the current car and bear higher operating coe. Or change to KIA Cerato.

Frank thoughts on the Cetato: it has an old engine. The brand seem to cycle its cars very fast, Some models only last 4 years if I am not mistaken.

In terms of FC, u won't see any improvement.

In terms of ride quality i think the new chassis are more planted at higher speeds, but driving dynamics unlikely to differ much.

In terms of cabin specs, equipment, rear passenger legroom, boot size etc confirm improve significantly. But just whether u want to pay for that.

What's the trade in like?

But toyotas... drive until 20 years also won't let u down one lah. Since u already used to the 4AT. Other than AC may kaput. i replaced it on 5+ year mark.

Edited by Lala81

Seriously, you have to work out how much you're willing to top up to get 5 years more lor... if by changing, the depreciation is the same as your current car, then it's still ok right? Cos you do have to start to replace major parts in your current Corolla. But if the depreciation is much higher by changing car due to the loss suffered by the premature sale of your Corolla then you have to see if you value 5 more years of peace of mind or the cash lor... depends on your cash position also mah...

• Praise 1

Is it appropriate to suggest Vios in this thread?

Just putting another option of the same price bracket for comparison against the 2 Koreans?

• Praise 4

Just putting another option of the same price bracket for comparison against the 2 Koreans?

Preferably not because this thread is obviously focusing on comparing kimchi brands, if add in Vios, next there will be City, and next Mazda 2 , next Nisan Note and next and next ....
  • Praise 1

Sorry I am using phone to reply so don't want to use quote function.

The agent only give $41k trade in. About 39xxx scrap value plus 13xx for body.

Personally, no.

Vios's interior looks way too dated. Only pull its the brand recognition

• Praise 1

Personally, no.

Vios's interior looks way too dated. Only pull its the brand recognition

How about Mazda 3? Of cos some will say no cos is PHV car....

How about Mazda 3? Of cos some will say no cos is PHV car....

Mz3 is very good, but pricey compared to Kia/Hyundai.

Interior seems better in terms of material but design is rather stark. In terms of drive, not much difference and with the sky high compression ratio, you need lots of revs. With the Skyactiv engine, jury is still out on whether it will last or not... the kind of sky high compression ratios definitely has higher chances of something going wrong when the engine is older... also the emissions quite obviously cannot make it... especially the NOx levels... that was out in the news recently...
  • Praise 1

I am considering the tier 2 pricing for the Elantra S

1 year free servicing

6 bid non gteed

$75999, which is a good 5k cheaper than the Cerato EX, and to get the EX at 80999, I need to trade in my car to them at paper ( my body is worth 1k)

So, other total cost savings for the S model is a good $6000

I service outside cheap cheap. 4 bottle of royal purple engine oil $38, oil filter and labour rm50

Yah, which is something I guess is to be considered since most of us just want a budget b&b runner. although$6k over 10 yrs for a newer look, more advanced AV, etc has to be considered. And the likely higher dep of the older Elantra in the second hand market. Leaning towards the cerato
  • Praise 1

Sat in the back of a new Mazda 3 Grab with wife early this year.

Small back space. Made worst with a big size driver.

There and then we strike off Mazda 3 for test drive...

↡ Advertisement