Only 1 in 5 feels parents have enough retirement savings

Aaronlkl

Noob question, why is there a need to provide median instead of average?

Seems the median is $9k whilst the avg is $33k. Quite a difference.

Median indicates a higher population of this group of people withdrawing at $9,000. Whereas there is a smaller population of this group who withdraw quite a large sum(eg. $100k), resulting in an average of $33,000. While the survey statistic is in line with the financial status of the society of having more poor than rich, the $9,000 figure tells a worrying situation. Edited by Ct3833
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Median indicates a higher population of this group of people withdrawing at $9,000. Whereas there is a smaller population of this group who withdraw quite a large sum(eg. $100k), resulting in an average of $33,000. While the survey statistic is in line with the financial status of the society of having more poor than rich, the $9,000 figure tells a worrying situation.

Ok got it thks!

• Praise 6

Wah ! You recieved PG card olâredy ??ð

Dont have. But wish so. haha.

Scheme and skimming .... tio boh ?ð®

Schemed to skim?

Is this policy failure or individualâs fault?

This is an interesting question.

Nobody wants to be poor. The poor will blame the policy. But look at this wolrd, there is no country having no poor man, there will be rich and there will be poor. Meaning there is no perfect policies yet. But a more balanced policy would result in lower rate of poverty in general. Or I am naive ?

• Praise 3

To a nation with high GDP per capita and yet a large population of their citizens face financial struggle, you tell me if this is individual's fault or policy failure? 

Is this policy failure or individual’s fault?

• Praise 5

With Merdeka package, you will be better equipped to.

The rest of the generations, continue to strive on for Brand Singapore.

Merdeka package details announced ........ how much can Merdekas get? Wait ....... how much taxes got to pay first?
  • Praise 1

To a nation with high GDP per capita and yet a large population of their citizens face financial struggle, you tell me if this is individual's fault or policy failure?

individual fault

after all these decades it seems only a change in the ballot box will bring about any meaningful change.

only when we start to see many of the unfulfilled promises, all the crocodile tears, all the twisted meanings, nothing is going to change

I doubt the change can come from within, they have become too big for any meaningful changes to happen from inside out

accept it or be part of the change

in life is all about choices and their consequences

there is no right or wrong policies but are actually a lot of compromises, which is more acceptable

• Praise 1

There will always be people who fear changes bcos they are afraid of losing what they had built. They will find excuses to comfort themselves that it is ok, we are different from this country and that country. That to me is normal.

As a matter of fact, the income gap continues to get wider, the tension and unhappiness continue to build up. When will the rubberband snaps? No one can tell. We can only watch and be prepared for it. As history has shown us again and again, there is no govt that can rule forever.

Yes but SG has never had that kind of rebellion that you envisage. We are still in the hands of descendants of humans if you wish. Imperfect humans who make errors at times, just like their previous generations.

To see Animal Farm play out, just note the Malaysia, Taiwan situation. How has that ever played out well to the mass?

In a resource devoid/empty place like SG, having 14% able to retire is a fortune. What figure would you rationally expect?

Moreover, it will appear an irony that many amongst these 14% are the ones who would choose to continue working...

There will always be people who fear changes bcos they are afraid of losing what they had built. They will find excuses to comfort themselves that it is ok, we are different from this country and that country. That to me is normal.

As a matter of fact, the income gap continues to get wider, the tension and unhappiness continue to build up. When will the rubberband snaps? No one can tell. We can only watch and be prepared for it. As history has shown us again and again, there is no govt that can rule forever.

Ya ...... ppl still serving mortgage loans for $1mil HDB and P99 condo

Just like if someone ask what is the average annual income for Singaporeans.........I am sure the multimillion cabinet "dream team"  will pull the average up to stratosphere. -_-

Median indicates a higher population of this group of people withdrawing at $9,000. Whereas there is a smaller population of this group who withdraw quite a large sum(eg. $100k), resulting in an average of $33,000. While the survey statistic is in line with the financial status of the society of having more poor than rich, the $9,000 figure tells a worrying situation.

So apt.... the Guy in the cartoon telling the "Salary" to grow up is like LHL telling us how to got porridge eat porridge...it is our fault for not having enough money....

post-157298-0-65228700-1535591365.jpeg

How to retire when .............

There will always be people who fear changes bcos they are afraid of losing what they had built. They will find excuses to comfort themselves that it is ok, we are different from this country and that country. That to me is normal.

As a matter of fact, the income gap continues to get wider, the tension and unhappiness continue to build up. When will the rubberband snaps? No one can tell. We can only watch and be prepared for it. As history has shown us again and again, there is no govt that can rule forever.

Societies inevitably detract towards anarchy and communistic directions when the large working proportion becomes antagonistic towards to minority affluent groups.

But there are a couple of yardsticks we must always refer to.

Firstly, was it based on meritocracy, capabilities and/or hard work established on a generally fair system that these affluent groups emerged?

Secondly, did they take more risks (and responsibilities) that these differences arose?

Because any system that punished the affluent groups that followed these two principles, nothing good has ever come out of it.

Communistic breakdowns blur the lines between all, forcing an equality based on unequal terms, allowing randomness to prevail, and for a small country with no resources, we will never grow back to what we have established today. Once gone, gone forever.

Edited by Showster
  • Praise 1

No lah, its pinky telling me n you and the rest of us that the Celery of himself and his merry men has not kept up with the top notch over the last decade..... LOL     :a-fun:

Just like if someone ask what is the average annual income for Singaporeans.........I am sure the multimillion cabinet "dream team"  will pull the average up to stratosphere. -_-

So apt.... the Guy in the cartoon telling the "Salary" to grow up is like LHL telling us how to got porridge eat porridge...it is our fault for not having enough money....

• Praise 1

To the garment, confirmed it is your own fault for not knowing how to save money or grow money. They simply tell you dont always keep complaining that your salary is not growing?!  [rolleyes]

No choice but to wait. For those who continue to fall through the cracks, I think there are still some form of support available.

But from 1960s there has been better education and work opportunities. I think you are doing very well, may not need the package.

If don't need then rely on our own hands better.

I also wish for 

壮国一代

or Merlion Generation...

Let's work towards a better tomorrow for all.

And poor me missed the Merdaka cut of point by 1 year.
建国一代
立国一代
我是政府没交代。

• Praise 1

No choice but to wait. For those who continue to fall through the cracks, I think there are still some form of support available.

But from 1960s there has been better education and work opportunities. I think you are doing very well, may not need the package.

If don't need then rely on our own hands better.

I also wish for 

壮国一代

or Merlion Generation...

Let's work towards a better tomorrow for all.

agree, better hope that all of us do not need help from the country. It is in fact a blessing for one who could help the society than  one who receiving helps. 

agree, better hope that all of us do not need help from the country. It is in fact a blessing for one who could help the society than one who receiving helps.

• Praise 2

Dun worry lah Mr 1960 ...... wait maybe another 3 years will come Merlion Gen, then the ARF generation; then PARF generation... then COE generation..then GST gen..... macham macham ...cock n bull gen they will think of... until every Gen will ask for something ..... all becoming populist moves to get..... you know what 

And poor me missed the Merdaka cut of point by 1 year.
建国一代
立国一代
我是政府没交代。

• Praise 1

In the end

Actually its just one gen at any one time

Becos by the time they give the package to the next gen, the earlier gen would have mostly passed away right?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1