Missing (MIA) husband, what to do next?

Ysc3

IIRC is 7 years from reported date.

But best to check with the police since report already made.

All the best to your cousin.  [:/]

It's not just wait until 7 years. Go see the lawyers. Get it properly documented that the GFN hasn't done jackshit in the last 3 years.

Then from now on, every single payment she make for the flat, make sure get records to show it comes from her bank account/CPF.

Every few months, update pass book and bank account statements, to show this GFN hasn't contributed anything.

Then in few years time, your case will be a slam dunk victory.

Always need to make sure the base work is done.

Declare as dead is better, coz hubby asset goes to spouse. Although his has not much of an asset, at least the wife will be able to get his share of the flat.

He's probably not dead bah. But just hiding somewhere.

↡ Advertisement

i think he's gone ............ from some drug/crime related killing ............ one of numerous nameless deaths in SE Asia

Edited by Othello

My former colleague kena abandoned after less than a year of marriage. GFN husband just packed up and go in the middle of the night. more than 15 years liao. She went back m'sia and started a business

It's not just wait until 7 years. Go see the lawyers. Get it properly documented that the GFN hasn't done jackshit in the last 3 years.

Then from now on, every single payment she make for the flat, make sure get records to show it comes from her bank account/CPF.

Every few months, update pass book and bank account statements, to show this GFN hasn't contributed anything.

Then in few years time, your case will be a slam dunk victory.

Always need to make sure the base work is done.

Yes for divorce i think this is proper, I have a friend his wife did this to him while they were staying together, without him knowing. She made police report every 2-3 months and kept copies with her lawyer. By the third year, she engage PI and took pictures of him with a PRC, file for divorce and given half of his total assets. 

But I think going missing is no case of divorce, until he is found alive. We are talking about declaring him dead here if I am not wrong, which is allowed under the law if the person is missing for X number of years ( i think is 7). There must also be no objection to the declaration after it is pinned up for x number of days ( this I cannot remember). If anyone objects with valid reasons, then it cannot go through. 

The wife will then be declared a widow and is allow to re-marry. 

However I am not sure what happen if he turns up later after being declared dead.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 1

Yes for divorce i think this is proper, I have a friend his wife did this to him while they were staying together, without him knowing. She made police report every 2-3 months and kept copies with her lawyer. By the third year, she engage PI and took pictures of him with a PRC, file for divorce and given half of his total assets. 

But I think going missing is no case of divorce, until he is found alive. We are talking about declaring him dead here if I am not wrong, which is allowed under the law if the person is missing for X number of years ( i think is 7). There must also be no objection to the declaration after it is pinned up for x number of days ( this I cannot remember). If anyone objects with valid reasons, then it cannot go through. 

The wife will then be declared a widow and is allow to re-marry. 

However I am not sure what happen if he turns up later after being declared dead.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Yeah agreed.

I think most importantly is for her to secure the flat and get it declared in her name (but should be after the guy is declared dead or missing for 7 years).

But she needs to start prepping now.

Yeah agreed.

I think most importantly is for her to secure the flat and get it declared in her name (but should be after the guy is declared dead or missing for 7 years).

But she needs to start prepping now.

yah, she have have to keep all paper records, like PUB bills, telco bills, school fees, and whatever she paid for. Housing part CPF is very valid to show there is only single deduction and no cash payment from other parties, provided the arrangement was on  50-50 payment when they first got the flat ( this one better check). 

In any case, be it filing for divorce or declaring him dead, the cousin is better to have all recorded proper, at least put an end to things formally, others later years sure got alot of 手尾 resulting in her getting stuck.  [:/]  

If he is dead or declare dead, then she gets the hdb flat and his CPF, if divorce, she probably gets nothing, plus may have to sell the flat, or buy over his share of the flat. 

But I know of a case, where the husband after divorce agree to let the wife have the Flat without paying him, and HDB actually agrees to it. He just left the wife and son with the flat, and went out himself. This one my personal friend, he said at least he left a roof for them.  [:/]

Edited by Tianmo

yah, she have have to keep all paper records, like PUB bills, telco bills, school fees, and whatever she paid for. Housing part CPF is very valid to show there is only single deduction and no cash payment from other parties, provided the arrangement was on  50-50 payment when they first got the flat ( this one better check). 

In any case, be it filing for divorce or declaring him dead, the cousin is better to have all recorded proper, at least put an end to things formally, others later years sure got alot of 手尾 resulting in her getting stuck.  [:/]  

If he is dead or declare dead, then she gets the hdb flat and his CPF, if divorce, she probably gets nothing, plus may have to sell the flat, or buy over his share of the flat. 

But I know of a case, where the husband after divorce agree to let the wife have the Flat without paying him, and HDB actually agrees to it. He just left the wife and son with the flat, and went out himself. This one my personal friend, he said at least he left a roof for them.  [:/]

someone i know is having some marital problems. He was considering to walk away from the matrimonial home and even pay for the kids until they reach 21. ie he start again from zero.

• Praise 1

someone i know is having some marital problems. He was considering to walk away from the matrimonial home and even pay for the kids until they reach 21. ie he start again from zero.

oh dear.  sounds like pushed to the edge of the cliff.  

oh dear.  sounds like pushed to the edge of the cliff.  

I dunno. Well it's between the two parties. outsiders can only comment. lol

sound like no third party issue, more of a cannot agree with each other kind of thing to me.

Not easy lor, he will have to think it over carefully, 潇洒代价很高的.

At least my friend, his parents were well to do, and he only has a younger brother, so mayb he can walk away empty handed. 

talking about this, it has been 18 years since he left, and I only met him once in this 18 years. Pity his son, the father has never carry him since he was born, and left him just when he turned 1 yrs old..  [:/]  [:(]

sound like no third party issue, more of a cannot agree with each other kind of thing to me.

Not easy lor, he will have to think it over carefully, 潇洒代价很高的.

At least my friend, his parents were well to do, and he only has a younger brother, so mayb he can walk away empty handed. 

talking about this, it has been 18 years since he left, and I only met him once in this 18 years. Pity his son, the father has never carry him since he was born, and left him just when he turned 1 yrs old..  [:/]  [:(]

Huh? He left when the kid was 1 but during that 1 year, never carried the kid before?

I dunno. Well it's between the two parties. outsiders can only comment. lol

Yah, 清官难断家务事, usually both say also not saying the whole thing, outsider can only comment from outside looking inside.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 1

i read of people who disappeared to reset their lives.

'Died' overseas in a developing country, doctor issued cert.

Quick cremation is a boon. 

Edited by Karoon

Huh? He left when the kid was 1 but during that 1 year, never carried the kid before?

yup! 

I think you may be thinking that he suspect the boy not his? If so, then I answer you first, the boy was never the issue, he is those kind dont really can handle kids one.

His leaving has nothing to do with his son. They started having problems when the son was 6 months old, and he stayed out most of the time from there.  [:(]

↡ Advertisement