RSAF pilot sue cabby for 4million dollars

Yewheng

Death and bodily injuries claim - unlimited

Damages to property - up to half a mil or thereabout... So don't drive and totalled a 777. [laugh]

but usually 3rd party liability has a cap, how to pay the victim above the cap?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Oops I thought motor insurance is to cover vehicle repairs and loss of use and whatever related to the car nia.

I din know it covers claims for future earnings.

My bad. Understand liao. Thanks bro

3rd party liability includes property damage, bodily injury and death.

Under current statute, bodily injury and death must be paid regardless legal or illegal act.

• Praise 1

Death and bodily injuries claim - unlimited

Damages to property - up to half a mil or thereabout... So don't drive and totalled a 777. [laugh]

I think it is $5mil for damages to property.
  • Praise 1

Actually 3rd party liability for death and injury no cap. Example from NTUC motor insurance:

Damage to third party property (up to $5,000,000) Death or injury to third party(unlimited) Medical expenses (up to $1,000) Personal accident benefits (up to $50,000)

https://www.income.com.sg/insurance/motor-insurance/car-insurance/details/coverage-for-car-insurance#main

but usually 3rd party liability has a cap, how to pay the victim above the cap?

Actually 3rd party liability for death and injury no cap. Example from NTUC motor insurance:

Damage to third party property (up to $5,000,000) Death or injury to third party(unlimited) Medical expenses (up to $1,000) Personal accident benefits (up to $50,000)

https://www.income.com.sg/insurance/motor-insurance/car-insurance/details/coverage-for-car-insurance#main

For public interest reasons, I would actually advocate a cap (a very high one).

in an extreme scenario, what happens if someone langga into hsien loong? insurer goes bankrupt?  [laugh]

• Praise 2

3rd party liability includes property damage, bodily injury and death.

Under current statute, bodily injury and death must be paid regardless legal or illegal act.

If illegal (drink driving, breach of contract terms, etc), insurance company may then claim payout from insured. So never drink and drive, it could bankrupt you if you run into and injured an Apache pilot.
  • Praise 3

in an extreme scenario, what happens if someone langga into hsien loong? insurer goes bankrupt? [laugh]

Insurer unlikely goes bankrupt because of 1 claims.

in cases of large payout, maximum payment from insurer own pocket is 1m.

The rest recoverable from reinsurer

Oops I thought motor insurance is to cover vehicle repairs and loss of use and whatever related to the car nia.

I din know it covers claims for future earnings.

My bad. Understand liao. Thanks bro

Future earning is all hypothical. What if the victim die in the 1 yr time due to unforeseen cancer or helicopters crashes? Who can justity it will never happen?

Insurance is all about risk sharing.

Some may pay cheaper premium and some may pay higher premium depending on various factors. End up all the premium goes into the same pool. Some never claimed insurance payout after decades of paying premium yearly.

I feel that to have a cap no matter how high (how to determine how much is high? LHL level?), goes against the spirit of  having mandatory 3rd party insurance so that the aggrieved victim will have recourse no matter how empty the offender's bank account is.

I agree with a limit for physical property damage payout.

in an extreme scenario, what happens if someone langga into hsien loong? insurer goes bankrupt?  [laugh]

Future earning is all hypothical. What if the victim die in the 1 yr time due to unforeseen cancer or helicopters crashes? Who can justity it will never happen?

What if the person lives till 90 years old?

Turbocharged

loss of potential income due to injury will be covered under "Death or injury to 3rd party"?

Everyone needs to be responsible for their actions, she is claiming the delta of what her future was to be vs what is was reduced to thanks to the accident and the amounts are no wholly exaggerated unlike cases in the US. If this was the US she would probably sue for 100 Million

The special damages claims include $2,179,367 for loss of future earnings up till retirement from the RSAF at age 50 and $1,827,000 for loss of future earnings after retirement.

Cases like this one the driver should have been made fully liable to pay for the boy medical expenses (disappointed that the sentences was so weak), then it will teach people there is consequence to their actions.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/father-of-boy-partially-paralysed-in-tailgater-crash-weve-almost-depleted-our

As traffic on the SLE was relatively heavy, Bernard said he switched to the rightmost lane.

Traffic then slowed to a stop, and Bernard said he applied the brakes.

my thoughts when i read the above is this is of those drivers that suddenly fliter and suddenly brake because the right lane suddenly stop

Lai's lawyer had said in mitigation the boy was not wearing a seat belt.

The statement of facts did not state whether he was belted up.

But Bernard told TNP his entire family was wearing seat belts. "I will never drive off until all of us are belted up".

statement of facts did not mention about being belted up... guess why

I doubt so.

Probably just permanent disability.

For the lost of potential income will be up to victim suing the offender with the view that the offender had already been judged to be 100% at fault.

loss of potential income due to injury will be covered under "Death or injury to 3rd party"?

Yup, you're right $5mil for car insurance.

$0.5mil is for motorcycle.

So, they probably think motorcycle has lesser impact of destruction.

I think it is $5mil for damages to property.

• Praise 1

Speaking about occupational hazards...

Molotov cocktail attack on the doctor. Happened in Malaysia.

The makcik react very fast with the fire extinguisher [laugh] If you look at the time elapsed, it was just a matter of seconds.

Considering they don't need any what-Secure, or what-Defence [laugh] campaigns, they are actually well-prepared. Maybe because it is Malaysia, and such things do happen.

Edited by Sosaria