Cathay Cineplex's hotdogs not halal

ChaosMyth

Taiwan Mac serves Pork product, it is definitely not Halal. 

just like India McD dun sell beef burger... wtf!   [laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Agreed.

I think in SG, there's a good balance. The halal options are there. The ones that depend on local chinese business like DTF and others are there as well.

And some restaurants don't mind adopting all halal options. 

Like My Kampung is a halal chicken rice chain. It sells chicken char siew which is quite nice btw.

It's good that subway and chains like My Kampung can corner some of the muslim market share which is quite significant in SG

And still serve food that is not fried chicken, prata, Indian muslim etc.

I think like in Australia nobody mind switching to halal products for their customers BUT the biggest hurdle is the sum of money need to pay and maintain to be halal that turns retail away.

I understand the amount is not small but even if it small, it creates even more stress for the business owner who is already up to their eyeballs with rent and labour cost plus don't know what this and that license to pay

• Praise 1

And just nice the Malay CEO left at 2015, means the Managing Director who took over simply let it lapse.

I don't get your point? What do you mean by simply let it lapse.

I was replying to someone who said the store has some responsibility to inform customers if their certificate expired and they didn't renew. My point is that the certificate expired in 2015 so any such responsibility would have been extinguished years ago since it is now 2018.

I don't see how the race of the managing director comes into play.

I don't get your point? What do you mean by simply let it lapse.

I was replying to someone who said the store has some responsibility to inform customers if their certificate expired and they didn't renew. My point is that the certificate expired in 2015 so any such responsibility would have been extinguished years ago since it is now 2018.

I don't see how the race of the managing director comes into play.

What I mean is they made a conscious decision NOT to renew the halal cert after it expired in 2015.

What I mean is they made a conscious decision NOT to renew the halal cert after it expired in 2015.

So they did. And subway made a conscious decision to apply for the certificate and remove pork products.

What's that got to do with my post that you quoted?

Was talking to a Malay hitch rider the other day,

She commented that Singapore Muslims are lazy, they patronize places which has the halal certification.....

Those not ‘certified’ ones they don’t touch. She mentioned in most other countries, where got halal ‘certified’ food everywhere......it’s the muslim’s duty to find out whether the ingredients or process is ‘clean’ MUIS make big money

Before anyone slam me......these words were not from me. I am a non Muslim, so not qualified to have any opinion

My question is ....if a halal restaurant did not PAY money to renew their halal cert, but source and process of the food remain the same....are they still halal?

In countries where there are no such organizations to PAY to, does it mean our Muslim friends will have to bring their food, or eat biscuits.

I also realize that halal food is more expensive in general, why should it be this way?

Edited by Joelwong
  • Praise 3

I will be honest, I prefer to patronize establishments that serve pork. Not anything against our Malay friends - but I just wanna try to support non-halal establishments so that hopefully they continue to serve pork.

Otherwise like our neighbouring countries, even Din Tai Fung also use chicken to make dumplings, wanton mee is chicken char siew.... sianz ah.

For halal/non-halal or otherwise, I think it is up to individual muslim - if they are very paranoid, then yes they need to do their research and google every outlet whether they have valid halal cert.

Yes my feel (LKY mention same thing in his memoirs; he was pissed off at the source which was wahibism from Saudi) is that over the last decades, our muslims friends have got more strict. Does it bother me? usually no because it is their legal and religious right.

the thing is dont confuse people.....if no longer halal just make a reminder and put it up front. If not halal i will skip the foodstuff and only buy drinks....no biggie. The problem is when they dont renew the cert but sell it as though its halal. Let the muslims decide but dont hoodwink them. There are groups that keeps records of foodstores that doesnt renew their halal certs.
  • Praise 3

She commented that Singapore Muslims are lazy, they patronize places which has the halal certification.....

Those not ‘certified’ ones they don’t touch. She mentioned in most other countries, where got halal ‘certified’ food everywhere......it’s the muslim’s duty to find out whether the ingredients or process is ‘clean’ MUIS make big money

Before anyone slam me......these words were not from me. I am a non Muslim, so not qualified to have any opinion

My question is ....if a halal restaurant did not PAY money to renew their halal cert, but source and process of the food remain the same....are they still halal?

In countries where there are no such organizations to PAY to, does it mean our Muslim friends will have to bring their food, or eat biscuits.

I also realize that halal food is more expensive in general, why should it be this way?

your malay hitch rider doesnt know what she/he talking lar. Even MY uses their own halal cert and so does many other countries. Sometime even with halal stamp the food is suspect.....i have seen halal stamps on poultry product from a South American country not known for having a muslim community.....

precisely ...

the guide was telling himself .... what makes the group think that KFc or Mcs in Taiwan is halal ?

but he just kept it to himself "to solve the problem".

from what I have been seeing ... it has become more and more strict recently.

they are rules on consumption of non-halal product such as in emergencies, difficulties in finding halal source and such.....to avoid is better but depends on circumstances.

During the 80s when we were on rnr, we also had to eat at Mc and so we oni eat their fish fillet. Got one instance we got tired of eating fish burgers so we went to a seafood restaurant and ordered prawn rice. Mind you it was Ramadhan but we took it upon ourselves as travellers and wanderers who are exempted from fasting.

Good. So now no need to argue. All cinemas non halal.

Can subscribe to Netflix or watch online for free lah... Eat whatever they want at home. Win win

Edited by Othello
  • Praise 6

Those not âcertifiedâ ones they donât touch. She mentioned in most other countries, where got halal âcertifiedâ food everywhere......itâs the muslimâs duty to find out whether the ingredients or process is âcleanâ MUIS make big money

..in Turkey most hotel sell alcohol and it's a Muslim country...

Singapore is multi racial, if the place is halal or not, I feel it is the onus of the person eating to check with the establishment.

Some Chinese don’t eat beef due to religious beliefs too, so they ask. I am not going to touch on allergies as it would bring the whole chat OT.

If the restaurant or organization displays a halal cert yet is not halal, then it is totally wrong of the establishment.

Halal is not a Malay thing, it is a religious requirement. So we should expect the establishments to ask if you are Muslim, then tell you sorry it is not halal? If you are Chinese Muslim how would they know to ask? If they are Indian Muslim?

I think we ought to be reasonable in our demands. It’s just like I want a plain chicken burger, when Mac serves me with veggie and sauce, I demand to know why they didn’t ask me first meh... :p

• Praise 4

Singapore is multi racial, if the place is halal or not, I feel it is the onus of the person eating to check with the establishment.

Some Chinese don’t eat beef due to religious beliefs too, so they ask. I am not going to touch on allergies as it would bring the whole chat OT.

If the restaurant or organization displays a halal cert yet is not halal, then it is totally wrong of the establishment.

Halal is not a Malay thing, it is a religious requirement. So we should expect the establishments to ask if you are Muslim, then tell you sorry it is not halal? If you are Chinese Muslim how would they know to ask? If they are Indian Muslim?

I think we ought to be reasonable in our demands. It’s just like I want a plain chicken burger, when Mac serves me with veggie and sauce, I demand to know why they didn’t ask me first meh... :p

Cant agree more.  It is an entertainment place after all and not a restaurant.

• Praise 1

How about government come up with law mandatory for all establishments to put up the sign Haram and only those non-haram don't put up this sign?

How about government come up with law mandatory for all establishments to put up the sign Haram and only those non-haram don't put up this sign?

You think this is their responsibility?
↡ Advertisement