Data roaming fees despite setting phones to airplane mode

Jman888

I am a convert to M1's Data Roaming Data Passport.

https://www.m1.com.sg/Personal/RoamingAndInternationalCalls/GoingOverseas/DataRoaming/DataPassport

When I was in USA earlier this year for 2 weeks, all I paid is SGD$12. All the data usage is from my local 16gb data limit. Used it for google map GPS driving, even youtubes to entertain my kid while at restaurants or in transit. When I come back I just cancel the service.

Went Malaysia for 3 days in April, activated another SGD$12, and again in June for 4 days.

So it is a pretty worthwhile and convenient service compared to hunting high and low for a foreign country data sim and you are not contactable with your own number while your sim is swapped out (unless you have dual sim)

I love M1 for its Data Passport. Very very useful. 2 years back I was in Japan for 2 months+, I just upsized my data  [thumbsup]

This is the singular reason why I am not considering other telco..... for the time being. 

↡ Advertisement

quite cheap... but for china does it have fire wall?

for malaysia i use a data card with 5gb, you can draw out the data you want to use (min. 500mb) each time you go... the datat valid for 30 days... the card valid for 26 months i think..

bkk i think the tru is cheaper... if lazy queue can buy from qoo

If you use Starhub prepaid card, no fire wall in China.

Can use google amp, yahoo, gmail, whatapps without any issue.

For thailand card, buy from tao bao.

Per piece around S$4.50, I just bought 5 pieces. add ezbuy shipping fee S$1.69

total around S$24. average S$.4.80 per card (within 01 week received the card)

It is the same Tourist simcard 8days 3GB thB299 card with thb100 calling credit.

## the thb100 credit can also be use to buy unlimited data (using 4mb speed) for around thb40 per day

• Praise 2

when i went Malacca in June, i was trying to find the best deal for a SIM card to use for navigation.

went to search in q0010, check MCF...

then i chanced upon my singtel plan, somehow got some data roaming rebate for $20/mth.

singtel has some readyroam plan, $12 for 1Gb.

So just nice, i activated that, got the 1Gb to use for GPS. Then end mth bill showed $0 net incurred cos offset by the $20 rebate. If i exceeded 1Gb, then for 2Gb will be $24, which means I would have had to pay $4 (after the $20 rebate)...

not bad lah. Good excuse to tell my kids say data roam v ex and v little only, sufficient only for navigation, so forget about tethering to play game during the long drives [laugh]

• Praise 3

If you use Starhub prepaid card, no fire wall in China.

Can use google amp, yahoo, gmail, whatapps without any issue.

For thailand card, buy from tao bao.

Per piece around S$4.50, I just bought 5 pieces. add ezbuy shipping fee S$1.69

total around S$24. average S$.4.80 per card (within 01 week received the card)

It is the same Tourist simcard 8days 3GB thB299 card with thb100 calling credit.

## the thb100 credit can also be use to buy unlimited data (using 4mb speed) for around thb40 per day

wah $4.50 is cheap.. you tested can work?

then maybe next time i can buy... i use to buy the 299 de

• Praise 1

i actually thought switch to airplane mode mean cut off all network, but not sure if the data could be running in the background.

When you take Silkair, at airplane mode.

WiFi on to connect to the Silkair studio.

So I believe airplane mode are not fully secure.

https://www.m1.com.sg/Personal/RoamingAndInternationalCalls/GoingOverseas/DataRoaming/DataPassport

When I was in USA earlier this year for 2 weeks, all I paid is SGD$12. All the data usage is from my local 16gb data limit. Used it for google map GPS driving, even youtubes to entertain my kid while at restaurants or in transit. When I come back I just cancel the service.

Went Malaysia for 3 days in April, activated another SGD$12, and again in June for 4 days.

So it is a pretty worthwhile and convenient service compared to hunting high and low for a foreign country data sim and you are not contactable with your own number while your sim is swapped out (unless you have dual sim)

I use it too....

Now don't even need to cancel the service. When you sign up, can just choose 1 month. BTW, I have always been getting my $2 sign up charge reimbursed, not sure why leh.

Or rent the wifi router from Changi recommends.

Unless you are sharing with others, this wifi router is the most troublesome method one leh.

Wifi router is expensive and ma fan hv to charge nightly.

I’m always activate Starhub Data Travel overseas. Good n cheap

need to subscribe and pay every month for standby?

So if airplane mode allows the phone to send and receive mobile data

wouldn't that screw up the aircraft navigation system and put everyone's

life at risk? If it doesn't then why airlines keep asking people to switch off

their phones as if it will cause the plane to crash?

:D

No need. Just pay for the month you travel. No recurring charges. 

Suits my usage as I generally go on 1 - 3 trips per year  

need to subscribe and pay every month for standby?

• Praise 1

The most safe way to ensure data not running is to disable on the telcos side. Instead of just off the data.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1