Data roaming fees despite setting phones to airplane mode

Jman888

I think you misinterpreted the charges and how it works. 

This is the cost for the mobilewifi rental for USA 15 days trip:

post-24957-0-20855800-1536120530_thumb.jpg

just to turn it on for standby at that particular month would cost $10/$25.

not exactly cheap. Better use changi thingy as its cheaper.

↡ Advertisement

Go to your M1 app, can set the free autolock while roaming feature. 

I set that and being kia see....  When I switch off my airplane mode after landing, I also manually set the partner foreign telco. 

For M1 data Passport user.

If I use my M1 line to activate Australia (which is S$10 only), do I need to set my phone to manual search for  Telstra and Vodafone line or will it auto lock to these two telco?

Thks

I thought USA is 25 dollars?

I'm also a user of M1. But the singtel 1gb roaming for like few dollars is also very good. good enough for whatsapp definitely.

now no need liao. when u subscribe on the app, it will auto limit to 1 month or u can opt for longer if u want. [smash]

ok thanks. I go try it out.

locally when my data reach 90% M1 will notify me by sms. Does it work the same oversea; sms notification?

your phone itself can set data limit also what. can set reminders or even to stop cellular data when it's reached.

your phone itself can set data limit also what. can set reminders or even to stop cellular data when it's reached.

hmm...ok...

scratching head now...

I set that and being kia see....  When I switch off my airplane mode after landing, I also manually set the partner foreign telco. 

Thks, never use before, so kinda worried.

starhub now with weekend unlimited data, cannot rely on the phone data count to set the limit. Must use their app to check and of course can set warning at 80% for the telco to sms you.

• Praise 1

I set that and being kia see.... When I switch off my airplane mode after landing, I also manually set the partner foreign telco.

It is good practice to select the network even with network lock.

Especially since the aircraft onair network is also under listed under the m1 partners network but won't be covered by your data passport

My CO also kenna from Singtel. Went Thailand and the data roaming on her iPhone was off but that was not enough. The data roaming on the MySingtel app MUST be also turn off...knn. She was charged $130 for 4mb of data!

Wrote in to Stinktel and reduced to $29.

CB...

post-1829-0-08192500-1547038703_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Fcw75
  • Praise 4

My CO also kenna from Singtel. Went Thailand and the data roaming on her iPhone was off but that was not enough. The data roaming on the MySingtel app MUST be also turn off...knn. She was charged $130 for 4mb of data!

Wrote in to Stinktel and reduced to $29.

CB...

0411E50C-F24D-416E-A31B-223CF9D87813.jpeg

Don't be confused. This is not Singtel problem but a phone problem.

Your phone continued to use data even tho the roaming is turned off. Even under m1 or starhub, also gotta pay

• Praise 1

why can't they just switch off data roaming ?? instead of going airplane mode ...

you know the song ...

nicky, nicky - yes papa

playing handphone - yes papa

data connection on - no papa

telling lies ... ha ha ha !

Even turning off data roaming on the phone not enough. Remember to turn off data roaming on the service provider app too. 

i never installed any service provider apps but still kana charged.

unless talking about the default apps that was preloaded and cannot be uninstalled.

for now i just turn off the phone or simply use another local sim. Even in plane mode dont guarantee anything.  

• Praise 1

Don't be confused. This is not Singtel problem but a phone problem.

Your phone continued to use data even tho the roaming is turned off. Even under m1 or starhub, also gotta pay

M1 need to deactivate the data roaming in their app also
  • Praise 1

Frankly, all telco knows nobody wants to incur additional data charges oversea. That why they came up with all sort of promotion for users to subscribe.

Unlike phone calls, you can choose to accpet call or not. For data, they should ask if you wish to download or not before proceeding for the 1st time. Technically not possible or just want that extra income?

• Praise 2

If never turned on (or rather, purposely turn off) mobile data on the phone itself when overseas, then should be safe right?

At least that's what i do when I'm overseas. On turn on wifi, taping on either the changi wifi, or if we buy local data SIM card, then insert onto a spare phone to tether out. The spare phone is also used for navigation if we're driving - as was the case in our recent trip to NZ.

• Praise 1

Frankly, all telco knows nobody wants to incur additional data charges oversea. That why they came up with all sort of promotion for users to subscribe.

Unlike phone calls, you can choose to accpet call or not. For data, they should ask if you wish to download or not before proceeding for the 1st time. Technically not possible or just want that extra income?

The data roaming on their LJ app is ON by default. It should be OFF by default. Extra income for them...KNN.

She’s a new user of Singtel, how would she know? Until she wrote in, THEN the CS said the data roaming on the app MUST be turn off to prevent data roaming charges.

Damn basterd...

i never installed any service provider apps but still kana charged.

unless talking about the default apps that was preloaded and cannot be uninstalled.

for now i just turn off the phone or simply use another local sim. Even in plane mode dont guarantee anything.

Yes exactly. I was wondering if some people or elderly never install the app and turn off data roaming then sure kenna charge.
↡ Advertisement