Data roaming fees despite setting phones to airplane mode

Jman888

The data roaming on their LJ app is ON by default. It should be OFF by default. Extra income for them...KNN.

Sheâs a new user of Singtel, how would she know? Until she wrote in, THEN the CS said the data roaming on the app MUST be turn off to prevent data roaming charges.

Damn basterd...

Remember stuff like this?

https://www.google.com.sg/amp/s/mustsharenews.com/singtel-charging-whatsapp/amp/

https://www.goal.com/en-sg/news/3880/singapore/2014/03/12/4679493/starhub-unhappy-over-singtels-exclusive-rights-for-2014-fifa

I will not support them

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

The data roaming on their LJ app is ON by default. It should be OFF by default. Extra income for them...KNN.

Sheâs a new user of Singtel, how would she know? Until she wrote in, THEN the CS said the data roaming on the app MUST be turn off to prevent data roaming charges.

Damn basterd...

Yes exactly. I was wondering if some people or elderly never install the app and turn off data roaming then sure kenna charge.

Imagine old folks go back China for a visit and select cemetery, come back coffin money also gone.. roamed away
  • Praise 2

nowadays when my wife or kids travel on their own, i will just subscribe the data travel or passport thing. $15 for 2GB good for 30 days within Asia (with alert msg at 80%), rather spend $15 and no need to worry about data roaming on or off.

• Praise 3

nowadays when my wife or kids travel on their own, i will just subscribe the data travel or passport thing. $15 for 2GB good for 30 days within Asia (with alert msg at 80%), rather spend $15 and no need to worry about data roaming on or off.

Same same. Just paid a bit for their roaming.

They also have no excuse that cannot be reach .

• Praise 1

If never turned on (or rather, purposely turn off) mobile data on the phone itself when overseas, then should be safe right?

At least that's what i do when I'm overseas. On turn on wifi, taping on either the changi wifi, or if we buy local data SIM card, then insert onto a spare phone to tether out. The spare phone is also used for navigation if we're driving - as was the case in our recent trip to NZ.

ya this is what I do. Just turn off mobile data what. Never had any problem.

I never buy any data sim card for trips nowadays. Just use my ipad built in sim. Subscribe the data package while I am queuing at immigration super convenient. I wonder why my iphone don't have built in sim card. 

I worry about this data passport thing that mixes network with your singapore sim card. I keep worrying that I will burst the limit and they revert back to roaming. 

Ipad built-in sim with prepaid data plan is still the easiest for me. It can even hotspot my iphone easily. 

• Praise 1

Imagine old folks go back China for a visit and select cemetery, come back coffin money also gone.. roamed away

Whenever my father goes back china, he only needs a simple phone to contact my china relatives. He still uses an old nokia to do that. never teach him to use mobile data, so he just uses the call time.

even here, we tell him not to on the mobile data as he only has 200 MB. If need whatsapp/wechat/surf, go home got wifi then use.

My data roaming is always off! 

I used Changi portable router when I visited Japan. The good thing is that it can connect up to 4 phones, I think. So, my wife;s and my phones were connected. The inconvenience is the daily charging of the set. However, I brought along a power bank for use when on the move.

When I visited NZ, we got a sim card for use. It took us some trouble shooting before it started to work. The sim card must be in the proper slot. 

• Praise 1

Whenever my father goes back china, he only needs a simple phone to contact my china relatives. He still uses an old nokia to do that. never teach him to use mobile data, so he just uses the call time.

even here, we tell him not to on the mobile data as he only has 200 MB. If need whatsapp/wechat/surf, go home got wifi then use.

Hmmm... but even simple phone, if have mobile data capable. Some relative may help him turn on.. can happen.

Hmmm... but even simple phone, if have mobile data capable. Some relative may help him turn on.. can happen.

ha ha... old nokia phone, even if turn on mobile data, also doubt got any use... I used the phone many years ago, before switching to smart phones. I think maybe got web browser in it, but i wouldn't know how to use it also [laugh]

should be quite safe lah.

but you're right - i just hope my helpful relatives dun end up helping him to turn on mobile data for his SG smartphone lor!!! He might sometimes ask them to help him configure WiFi in the hotels or at their homes... [sweatdrop] 

so far nothing of this sort, touch wood :D

I used Changi portable router when I visited Japan. The good thing is that it can connect up to 4 phones, I think. So, my wife;s and my phones were connected. The inconvenience is the daily charging of the set. However, I brought along a power bank for use when on the move.

When I visited NZ, we got a sim card for use. It took us some trouble shooting before it started to work. The sim card must be in the proper slot. 

hey, same same here.

Japan is notoriously difficult to get local SIM, so we also took Changi wifi.

for Aust and NZ, we bought local SIM. The tricky part is must go to their website, key in the card no. to activate. We got the seller at the booth to help us.

Nowadays, my wife and i both subscribe to the teleco's data roaming package. So we can contact each other when we are shopping separately. So if anyone of us early, can message and surf while waiting.

I wonder how you guys manage to use only 1 wifi dongle for the whole family. If go shopping, everyone go to their favourite shop mah. No need all follow one person to a particular store just to share the wifi dongle.

• Praise 2

Nowadays, my wife and i both subscribe to the teleco's data roaming package. So we can contact each other when we are shopping separately. So if anyone of us early, can message and surf while waiting.

I wonder how you guys manage to use only 1 wifi dongle for the whole family. If go shopping, everyone go to their favourite shop mah. No need all follow one person to a particular store just to share the wifi dongle.

go find a Starbucks cos they have free wifi   [laugh]  [laugh]

Similar, just rent 2 unit for my last Dec Japan trip. Cheaper than buyer a local sim card since the router us unlimited data for japan. Edited by Tohto

Twincharged

Japan is notoriously difficult to get local SIM, so we also took Changi wifi.

for Aust and NZ, we bought local SIM. The tricky part is must go to their website, key in the card no. to activate. We got the seller at the booth to help us.

the last time my sis went japan, the Airbnb house got free "egg" for her to use.

I bought a huawei mifi.. get the $0 circles 1Gb data plan for laptop.. use the mifi overseas using local sim..

Thats what I told and rationalize when I bought the $360 Huawei thingy..

All a bloody good excuse to get one ...

the last time my sis went japan, the Airbnb house got free "egg" for her to use.

Actually, during our japan trip (end 17), in the hotels we stayed in Tokyo, the rooms have smart phones provided, that can be brought out by the guests. They have unlimited call and data it seems. only didn't know whether can it tether or not (i doubt).

It was a pity as we only knew of its benefits on the 2nd last day of the 2nd hotel's stay. I suaku tot this is really cool, but someone here said other countries also have.

We didn't need to drive in Japan, so in theory could have even skipped the changi wifi and go there use their hotel smart phones when out, and use the hotel wifi when in the hotel...

you're right. I often bring my parents along for our trips. 6 of us, only 1 local sim to tether...

cannot contact one another if go separate ways one... unless some places got free wifi... which is sometimes v slow too...

• Praise 1

Twincharged

I bought a huawei mifi.. get the $0 circles 1Gb data plan for laptop.. use the mifi overseas using local sim..

Thats what I told and rationalize when I bought the $360 Huawei thingy..

All a bloody good excuse to get one ...

Similar, just rent 2 unit for my last Dec Japan trip. Cheaper than buyer a local sim card since the router us unlimited data for japan.

Depends on duration of stay, how much data is needed and also which country.

When we went Aust 3 yr ago, local SIM card was cheaper, as they had offer. For A$20, got an optus SIM with i think 10 GB. We stayed just about 2 wk and just exceeded that 10 GB a bit, so towards the last 2-3 days, bought a cheaper one. Getting a changi wifi would have been >$100 for sure.

Even for NZ, we got a 15 GB card for NZ$55, and this time had a lot of unused data when we left, again after 2 wk. Changi wifi with 2 days free, would have cost us S$160, i think.

wow !! your huawei mifi power man !! $360 !!

I only bought the Xiaomi ZMI … $80 … but have not got chance to use yet … was thinking of plugging in the TPG card to use at my workplace.

We received 2 huawei - albeit older version - mifis FOC when wife and i signed up for stanchart credit card 2 yr ago. Actually we hardly use them [laugh]

Depends on duration of stay, how much data is needed and also which country.

When we went Aust 3 yr ago, local SIM card was cheaper, as they had offer. For A$20, got an optus SIM with i think 10 GB. We stayed just about 2 wk and just exceeded that 10 GB a bit, so towards the last 2-3 days, bought a cheaper one. Getting a changi wifi would have been >$100 for sure.

Even for NZ, we got a 15 GB card for NZ$55, and this time had a lot of unused data when we left, again after 2 wk. Changi wifi with 2 days free, would have cost us S$160, i think.

We received 2 huawei - albeit older version - mifis FOC when wife and i signed up for stanchart credit card 2 yr ago. Actually we hardly use them [laugh]

Changi wifi for Europe and Australia/NZ are ex.

For japan is $5 but Dec I got it at promotion of $4. So is quite good.

For my frequent short trip to Vietnam of 4 days, I only need to pay $9 after discount 2 days free.

↡ Advertisement