• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic | 20 praises

Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:50 PM

Mockngbrd
  • Mockngbrd
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

For some strange reason, the kind people over at Jeep Chrysler gave me the keys to a Jeep Compass 1.4 last week. It was the first time I was given a non-BMW (and non-BMW related) car to review for a really really really long time.

This was the first time I've driven a Jeep. (Unfortunately, I'm guessing it will probably be my last time as well.) 

I'm sorry Jeep, you deserve better. 

https://garage36.wor...ep-compass-1-4/

Edited by Mockngbrd, 05 September 2018 - 02:54 PM.

Garage36.com

Posted 06 September 2018 - 01:45 PM

Watwheels
  • Premium member
    Watwheels
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

The short comings of the 9sp gearbox could be because it's a dual clutch unit. At first I thought it's 9sp planetary gb but as it turns out it's a DCT. As we know by now DCTs aren't the smoothest of gb when driven slow especially when it comes to city driving. It's program to react slow to prevent jerks from the gear changes.

The power to weight performance I think it's fine. But when it comes to handling I mean it's an SUV. Suspension tuning I would expect it to be on the softer side moreover this is an SUV that can go offroad. It's not say a sports sedan design to perform on a circuit. For a 4x4 the suspension must soak up the offroad bumps or else its occupants will end up with spinal injuries. Maybe you drive too many BMWs.

As for the headlights, yeah the US road regulations have yet to accept any other lights other dan halogen headlights. So expect all American branded cars to come with halogen headlights as standard. But this can be easily changed or modified.

When it comes to price I agree it's on the premium side. As you said not very competitive especially its competitors are better equipped and cost less. The only pro I see is the low road tax. Some US brand cars are not built for other parts of the world. Whatever works in US does not necessarily works here. If they want to be globally competitive they have to seriously open up.

Edited by Watwheels, 06 September 2018 - 01:48 PM.

Too much to think about...

Posted 06 September 2018 - 02:44 PM

Mockngbrd
  • Mockngbrd
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

The short comings of the 9sp gearbox could be because it's a dual clutch unit. At first I thought it's 9sp planetary gb but as it turns out it's a DCT. As we know by now DCTs aren't the smoothest of gb when driven slow especially when it comes to city driving. It's program to react slow to prevent jerks from the gear changes.

No, it's not a DCT. It's a 9 speed auto from ZF. Confirm + chop not a DCT. And it was jerky with a rather pronounced rubberband effect on heavy throttle input. 

The power to weight performance I think it's fine. But when it comes to handling I mean it's an SUV. Suspension tuning I would expect it to be on the softer side moreover this is an SUV that can go offroad. It's not say a sports sedan design to perform on a circuit. For a 4x4 the suspension must soak up the offroad bumps or else its occupants will end up with spinal injuries. Maybe you drive too many BMWs.

Yes, I've driven too many BMWs maybe. But tell that to Volvo who have managed to make a comfortable SUVs with decent handling. I did mention that yes, it's comfortable on highways and when using it in town.

But in retrospect, I should have mentioned that it shouldn't be about how comfy or how well it takes corners, but overall, how boring it was to drive. It just feels so meh... 

As for the headlights, yeah the US road regulations have yet to accept any other lights other dan halogen headlights. So expect all American branded cars to come with halogen headlights as standard. But this can be easily changed or modified.

Erm. that's not true. Aftermarket kits maybe, but for factory fitted cars, they are illegal nowhere. A new car meeting all FMVSS standards is legal in all 50 states.

When it comes to price I agree it's on the premium side. As you said not very competitive especially its competitors are better equipped and cost less. The only pro I see is the low road tax. Some US brand cars are not built for other parts of the world. Whatever works in US does not necessarily works here. If they want to be globally competitive they have to seriously open up.

+ You do know that for SGD$148,888, you are buying a car that's made in India ?

Again, I'll have to reiterate, as a value for $$$ proposition, take a look at the 1.4 Kodiaq. More space, 3 rows of seating, VW underpinnings and a wet clutch DSG. $132k with COE. Can use for Grab 7 seater. 

And if you want to spend 148k, there's always a 2.0 Kodiaq is 1k less, or go for the base Tiguan that is 8k less. 

Edited by Mockngbrd, 06 September 2018 - 03:04 PM.

Garage36.com

Back to Conti Talk  ·  Car Brands Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: jeep, jeep compass, 1.4 and 3 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users