Toyota to recall 1 million Prius/C-HR cars over wiring issue

alfakidz85

TOKYO: Toyota Motor Corp said on Wednesday (Sep 5) it planned to recall around 1.03 million vehicles, including its gasoline-hybrid Prius model, in Japan, North America, Europe and other regions due to an issue with the engine wire harness which can pose a fire risk.

Following a domestic recall announcement by Japan's transport ministry, Toyota said that in affected vehicles, the wire harness which connects to the hybrid power control unit can come into contact with the covering at the connection point.

If dust accumulates on the wire harness or the cover, the insulation on the wires could wear down over time due to vehicle vibrations. This could cause an electrical short circuit, which could generate heat and lead to a risk of fire, Toyota said.

The issue affects vehicles produced in Japan between June 2015 and May 2018, and includes the plug-in version of the Prius and the C-HR compact crossover SUV sold in Japan, Europe, Australia and other countries.

Roughly half of the recalls would take place in Japan, Toyota spokesman Jean-Yves Jault said.

Only the Prius model would be recalled in the United States, where around 192,000 vehicles were affected, he said.

Jault added that the issue had led to one incident of a short circuit in Japan, which produced smoke from the vehicle.

In Singapore, a total of 4,115 Toyota Prius cars are affected by the recall

Borneo Motors, the authorised distributor for Toyota in Singapore, said it will reach out to Prius customers to check their vehicles, and if necessary, conduct repairs at no cost.

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/toyota-recall-1-million-prius-c-hr-cars-over-wiring-issue-10686252

Edited by alfakidz85
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

post-165495-0-65797100-1536200324_thumb.jpg

SINGAPORE: A total of 4,115 Toyota Prius cars in Singapore are affected by the Japanese carmaker's global safety recall due to an issue with the engine wire harness which can pose a fire risk.

Toyota announced on Wednesday (Sep 5) that it is recalling about 1.03 million hybrid vehicles in Japan, North America, Europe and other regions. The affected models, built between June 2015 and May 2018 include Prius, Prius PHV and C-HR.

Borneo Motors, the authorised distributor for Toyota in Singapore, said it will be reaching out to Prius customers to check their vehicles, and if necessary, conduct repairs at no cost.

For the parallel-imported C-HR HV models, Borneo Motors said it will work with Toyota Motor and the Land Transport Authority to "support" the models. 

In a media alert, Borneo Motors explained that the affected vehicles have an engine wire harness which is connected to the hybrid vehicle Power Control unit.

“A portion of the wire harness could contact the cover at this connection and wear over time, causing an electrical short circuit, which can generate heat," it said. "If sufficient heat is generated, there is an increased risk of a vehicle fire."

“Safety continues to remain our number one priority and we are focused on putting our customers and people first by taking swift and appropriate action,” Borneo Motors added.

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/toyota-prius-in-singapore-affected-by-global-recall-10687336

Edited by alfakidz85
  • Praise 2

Singapore ones affected.

More than 4,000 Toyota Prius cars in Singapore affected by global safety recall

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/toyota-prius-in-singapore-affected-by-global-recall-10687336

SINGAPORE: A total of 4,115 Toyota Prius cars in Singapore are affected by the Japanese carmaker's global safety recall due to an issue with the engine wire harness which can pose a fire risk.

Toyota announced on Wednesday (Sep 5) that it is recalling about 1.03 million hybrid vehicles in Japan, North America, Europe and other regions. The affected models, built between June 2015 and May 2018 include Prius, Prius PHV and C-HR.

Borneo Motors, the authorised distributor for Toyota in Singapore, said it will be reaching out to Prius customers to check their vehicles, and if necessary, conduct repairs at no cost.

For the parallel-imported C-HR HV models, Borneo Motors said it will work with Toyota Motor and the Land Transport Authority to "support" the models. 

In a media alert, Borneo Motors explained that the affected vehicles have an engine wire harness which is connected to the hybrid vehicle Power Control unit.

“A portion of the wire harness could contact the cover at this connection and wear over time, causing an electrical short circuit, which can generate heat," it said. "If sufficient heat is generated, there is an increased risk of a vehicle fire."

“Safety continues to remain our number one priority and we are focused on putting our customers and people first by taking swift and appropriate action,” Borneo Motors added.

Good to know that Borneo Motor is assisting those PI CHR too [thumbsup]

good grief! omfg... that's horrible..

Yup. Freaking pissed when I found out.

The good thing was after I wrote to Toyota Japan (it was concerning the airbag recall), it was eventually confirmed my car was not affected...

Heng arrhhh...

Good to know that Borneo Motor is assisting those PI CHR too [thumbsup]

I suspect the so called "suppork" is to pay a fee for labour charges. The price of the affected part may be waived but not the labour.

• Praise 2

I thought Toyota very reliable?

Nowadays recall by car manufacturers are pretty common. Take it like a usual "update" for a app. And Toyota vehicles are made not only in Japan, also in US, Mexico, China, Europe, Thailand, Vietnam, Phillippines, Indonesia, etc.

There is Toyota Motors Asia Pacific (office in Anson Road) which is our main source of supplier for our AD. I believe they own the responsibility for the recalls. As for Parallel Imports, call it a goodwill for Borneo Motors to offer support.

• Praise 1

I tink TMAP is the one calling the shots for recall even for PI car since it all comes from Toyota Japan. Dun tink Borneo is so kind to volunteer goodwill to those eating into its ricebowl.

Nowadays recall by car manufacturers are pretty common. Take it like a usual "update" for a app. And Toyota vehicles are made not only in Japan, also in US, Mexico, China, Europe, Thailand, Vietnam, Phillippines, Indonesia, etc.

There is Toyota Motors Asia Pacific (office in Anson Road) which is our main source of supplier for our AD. I believe they own the responsibility for the recalls. As for Parallel Imports, call it a goodwill for Borneo Motors to offer support.

yes totally agreed.

only one brand i have yet to hear of recall..proton.

I suspect the so called "suppork" is to pay a fee for labour charges. The price of the affected part may be waived but not the labour.

Ya that's fair enough as they bought from PI not AD. So still need to differentiate abit.

yes totally agreed.

only one brand i have yet to hear of recall..proton.ð

so how about toyota taiwan or even thailand..those toyoata manufactured locally there.

Coz even Proton dun believe anyone in Sg will buy it....

Ya that's fair enough as they bought from PI not AD. So still need to differentiate abit.

agree. If the owners of the PI Toyota only need to pay for the labour, that's fair enough. For Honda Vezel, PI run road, the owners need to settle the recall with their own money for parts and labours. KAH stepped away from the recall. At least BM volunteer to help with the recall.

• Praise 1

It's publicly a manufacturer recall and  as far as the AD goes, they are compelled to make this happen. I can't say the same for PI although it would be a good measure of what after-sales support entail.

That said, Toyota is acting professionally to ensure safety; the same may not apply to other brands or manufacturers.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1