Facebook to build first Asian data centre in Singapore

StreetFight3r

post-141090-0-24891300-1536217747_thumb.jpg

The 11-storey data centre is 170,000 sqm and will “support hundreds of jobs”, says the social media giant.

Social media giant Facebook on Thursday (Sep 6) announced it will pour in more than S$1.4 billion to construct its first data centre in Asia in Singapore. 

The new facility, located at Tanjong Kling (formerly known as Data Centre Park) in the west of Singapore, will span 170,000 sq m and will “support hundreds of jobs”, the company said in its press release, adding it will form part of its growing presence in Singapore and across the region. 

Trade and Industry Minister Chan Chun Sing, who graced the launch event, said the social media giant's decision to locate its first Asia data centre here is a "significant milestone" for the country.  

He said the company's presence here speaks to how Singapore is increasingly connected to the world beyond the traditional modes of air, land and sea. He added that it would facilitate the flow of talent, ideas and creativity into the country. 

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/technology/facebook-data-centre-singapore-jobs-asia-10688962

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

attachicon.giffacebook-data-centre.jpg

The 11-storey data centre is 170,000 sqm and will “support hundreds of jobs”, says the social media giant.

Social media giant Facebook on Thursday (Sep 6) announced it will pour in more than S$1.4 billion to construct its first data centre in Asia in Singapore.

The new facility, located at Tanjong Kling (formerly known as Data Centre Park) in the west of Singapore, will span 170,000 sq m and will “support hundreds of jobs”, the company said in its press release, adding it will form part of its growing presence in Singapore and across the region.

Tanjong Kling? Wont be surprised if it literally became one.....
  • Praise 1

Questions

How much did our authorities give to get Facebook here? What concession did our authorities gave to Facebook? (Petroleum industry got a lot of freebies when they first moved to SG and subsequently more freebies to remain in SG). How much does all these cost our tax-payers? 

Jobs going to locals or FTs? Will it be more locals than FTs working in Facebook SG? Will the top management and middle management be manned by FTs? 

• Praise 5

Questions

How much did our authorities give to get Facebook here? What concession did our authorities gave to Facebook? (Petroleum industry got a lot of freebies when they first moved to SG and subsequently more freebies to remain in SG). How much does all these cost our tax-payers?

Jobs going to locals or FTs? Will it be more locals than FTs working in Facebook SG? Will the top management and middle management be manned by FTs?

Let's hope most jobs will go to the locals.
  • Praise 1

Singapore is warm and the electricity here isn't cheap. Seems an unusual place to house data/cloud storage facilities

Yes, usually in terms of energy-efficient cooling at least for part of the year, it makes more sense to build in temperate weather countries or even colder climates, as all those electronics can generate their own heat anyway.

I guess there is something on offer to them that beats even electricity costs. As one post has theorized, maybe laxer immigration rules or special concession given to import lots of FT IT workers - it would be harder to do so, I imagine, in other western nations these days that have clamped down on influx of immigrants.

• Praise 2

Yes, usually in terms of energy-efficient cooling at least for part of the year, it makes more sense to build in temperate weather countries or even colder climates, as all those electronics can generate their own heat anyway.

I guess there is something on offer to them that beats even electricity costs. As one post has theorized, maybe laxer immigration rules or special concession given to import lots of FT IT workers - it would be harder to do so, I imagine, in other western nations these days that have clamped down on influx of immigrants.

I agree. There must have been significant concessions made. Though not many places in SEA are cool and are well connected enough to live. As opposed to temperate countries.

Tanjong Kling? Wont be surprised if it literally became one.....

I agree. There must have been significant concessions made. Though not many places in SEA are cool and are well connected enough to live. As opposed to temperate countries.

Got other meaning?

racist connotation

but after seeing the show ROOTS, the chains that make the noise as they walk makes that 'kling' kling' sound and thus that name stuck....alsop not a good name

Malay[edit]

The word Keling has been used variously within the Malay community to mean Indian, Tamil, or south Indian. The title "Kapitan Keling" was used for a representative of an Indian community, similar to the "Kapitan Cina" of a Chinese community. In early Penang of the 1790s the Kapitan Keling was Cauder Mohideen who, together with the Kapitan Cina Koh Lay Huan and other prominent members of the community, formed the first Committee of Assessors to decide the rates and collection of taxes.[12]This usage is preserved is the name of the Kapitan Keling Mosque, a prominent Penang landmark.

In many modern cases Keling is used as a derogatory term.[10] It was used in 2005 by Members of Parliament in Malaysia because of misconception about Indian ethnics, resulting in an uproar by the Malaysian community accusing the MPs of racism.[13]

Singapore is warm and the electricity here isn't cheap. Seems an unusual place to house data/cloud storage facilities

so hope they can up my cloud storage to 1tb without charge. Currently only 30plus GB foc.

so hope they can up my cloud storage to 1tb without charge. Currently only 30plus GB foc.

lol this is FB. not google drive or dropbox.

racist connotation

but after seeing the show ROOTS, the chains that make the noise as they walk makes that 'kling' kling' sound and thus that name stuck....alsop not a good name

Malay[edit]

The word Keling has been used variously within the Malay community to mean Indian, Tamil, or south Indian. The title "Kapitan Keling" was used for a representative of an Indian community, similar to the "Kapitan Cina" of a Chinese community. In early Penang of the 1790s the Kapitan Keling was Cauder Mohideen who, together with the Kapitan Cina Koh Lay Huan and other prominent members of the community, formed the first Committee of Assessors to decide the rates and collection of taxes.[12]This usage is preserved is the name of the Kapitan Keling Mosque, a prominent Penang landmark.

In many modern cases Keling is used as a derogatory term.[10] It was used in 2005 by Members of Parliament in Malaysia because of misconception about Indian ethnics, resulting in an uproar by the Malaysian community accusing the MPs of racism.[13]

oh ok.

Not sure...

There's one being built opposite my house also. The company has 1 other data centre in SG already but their data centre is like 1/7 the facebook one.

I reckon in addition to electricity cost and temp, they also consider reliability of the power station and location (must have good connection with neighboring region in terms of submarine cables)

Not sure...

There's one being built opposite my house also. The company has 1 other data centre in SG already but their data centre is like 1/7 the facebook one.

I reckon in addition to electricity cost and temp, they also consider reliability of the power station and location (must have good connection with neighboring region in terms of submarine cables)

yeah i guess. anyway there's no well connected city here in SEA that has a cooler climate year-round anyway. 

Go north to taiwan also got earthquakes etc.

↡ Advertisement