JB Petrol 95 or 97?

dnumde

Dear all,

I just got back from a short vacation in Malaysia.

I was at the Petronas before 2nd link.

Paid the 100RM "deposit" and went to top up the fuel.

But I was later inform by the cashier that she chose the 95 instead of 97 for me.

So I went ahead with the yellow nozzle for the first time with no judgy eyes or repurcussion whatsoever despite many Malaysian and pump attendant around.

Ever since I can remember, I was told that Singapore cars are NOT allowed to top up 95, minimally 97, from EVERYONE around me.

So the qns is. Are Singaporean allowed to top up 95 fuel?

I will ask the cashier the next time I go in.

But for now, I guess this thread will be a good discussion lest many like me are misguided from hearsay.

Money aside, base on my understanding, we should not mix different fuel type.

On a unrelated note, this reminds me of the 5 monkeys 1 ladder social experiment.

↡ Advertisement

Singapore cars cannot pump 95, 

I have confirmed and ask the cashier and attendant before.

Minimally 97 v-power or 97 racing if you prefer.

Singapore cars cannot pump 95,

I have confirmed and ask the cashier and attendant before.

Minimally 97 v-power or 97 racing if you prefer.

Not 100% true. Some stations only have Ron 95 and nothing else. But not that I have seen in JB. Further up north in small towns.

So it is theoretically possible that a new attendant from a small town might have forgotten.

But yes, minimum Ron 97 if doing petrol runs. Just that it might be different in small towns.

Dear all,

I just got back from a short vacation in Malaysia.

I was at the Petronas before 2nd link.

Paid the 100RM "deposit" and went to top up the fuel.

But I was later inform by the cashier that she chose the 95 instead of 97 for me.

So I went ahead with the yellow nozzle for the first time with no judgy eyes or repurcussion whatsoever despite many Malaysian and pump attendant around.

Ever since I can remember, I was told that Singapore cars are NOT allowed to top up 95, minimally 97, from EVERYONE around me.

So the qns is. Are Singaporean allowed to top up 95 fuel?

I will ask the cashier the next time I go in.

But for now, I guess this thread will be a good discussion lest many like me are misguided from hearsay.

Money aside, base on my understanding, we should not mix different fuel type.

On a unrelated note, this reminds me of the 5 monkeys 1 ladder social experiment.

RON 95 petrol is highly subsidised in Malaysia and foreigners are not supposed to enjoy the subsidies.  Hence, foreigners can only pump RON 97 or higher petrol.

Malaysia sets aside 3 billion ringgit to finance fuel subsidies

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-malaysia-politics-subsidy/malaysia-sets-aside-3-billion-ringgit-to-finance-fuel-subsidies-idUSKCN1J30AB

I pump petron 95 mixed with petron 100 to get 97.5 octane.

Can?  closer to our Esso 98 octane.

Wah lao. Why so chim one? I thot pumping petrol should be easy. Now must do math liao.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-PvBo75PDo

No need to ask the cashier, confirm foreign car (even driver is Malaysian or PR) not allowed to pump 95 in Malaysia. It's written black and white at their petrol stations all over. 

Please check again.

Malaysian driving foreign vehicles just need to produce their MyKad(similar to our pink IC) to the counter and they will be allowed to pump Ron 95.

Wah lao. Why so chim one? I thot pumping petrol should be easy. Now must do math liao.

Please check again.

Malaysian driving foreign vehicles just need to produce their MyKad(similar to our pink IC) to the counter and they will be allowed to pump Ron 95.

545030_10151453932685710_508210709_23739

Tot I saw this notice everywhere I go pump petrol. Will ask my Malaysian colleague to request to pump 95 for me next time. :)

• Praise 1

http://ww2.utusan.com.my/utusan/special.asp?pr=theMessenger&y=2011&dt=0615&pub=theMessenger&sec=Home_News&pg=hn_05.htm

15/06/2011

RON95 petrol, NGV off limits to foreign registered vehicles from tomorrow

KUALA LUMPUR: RON95 petrol and NGV fuel will be banned from being sold to foreign registered vehicles from tomorrow, the Ministry of Domestic Trade, Cooperatives and Consumerism announced today.
RON95 petrol would however be allowed to be sold to foreign registered motorcycles as an exception.

Following the move, the requirement to produce Mykad by Malaysians using foreign registered vehicles for purchasing RON95 petrol at all petrol stations throughout the country had been withdrawn, the ministry said in a statement here today.

On August 1 last year, a directive to ban sales of RON95 petrol to foreign registered vehicles nationwide was imposed with the exception given to Malaysians who could produce the Mykad for verification.

The ministry in the statement clarified that the government had received feedback of leakages due to abuse of of the Mykad for purchasing RON95 petrol.

According to the ministry, petrol station operators at border areas had also complained of difficulties in controlling and ensuring the directive on the petrol ban was fully complied with.

"On this issue, the government is of the view that the ban on all foreign registered vehicles from buying RON95 petrol and the withdrawal of the condition that allowed purchase of RON95 petrol on producing the Mykad throughout the country with the exception of motorcycles, is reasonable," the ministry said.

The ministry clarified that the ban also covered NGV fuel following the discovery that 311,000 litres of NGV fuel were sold to foreign registered vehicles each year.

" At the rate of the current subsidy, the NGV fuel subsidy enjoyed by foreigners amounted to RM360,000 each year," the statement added. -- BERNAMA

PS. Oops! Cannot ask Malaysian colleague to pump lah... ruling updated liao.

Wow. Thanks for all the informative inputs.

You guys are knowledgeable.

I will stick to 97 in the future when I head in. :)

I use 95 whenever I'm at Malaysia shell petrol

No one stop me. I pump the petrol myself.

I used a Malaysia credit card to pay.

Pay now go.

RM 2.20 per litre. Where to find.

Bro, 

you driving Sp car or malaysian car ?

I use 95 whenever I'm at Malaysia shell petrol

No one stop me. I pump the petrol myself.

I used a Malaysia credit card to pay.

Pay now go.
RM 2.20 per litre. Where to find.

Bro,

you driving Sp car or malaysian car ?

Sinkie car.

I don't seems to see those signboard at petrol kiosk. Even in KL or Penang. Unlike when they first started few years back, every petrol kiosk will show foreign car not allow to pump 95.

From I know, Malaysia 95 and 97 price not much difference. 20 cents different?

95. RM2.20

97. RM2.70

VP Racing. RM3.50

The last Shell petrol kiosk at NSH (heading to Tuas CP) only have 95 and Racing.

↡ Advertisement