JB Petrol 95 or 97?

dnumde

2 nights ago was the first time i pumped petrol in malaysia. It was at a petronas in a small town near yongpeng. I didnt even know need to pay first then pump. The guy asked me how much i need, then i paid and go pump. 97. End effect is i did not get a full tank. Whats the standard process? I going in again tomorrow. Only will pump in small town.

Edited by Columbian78
↡ Advertisement

2 nights ago was the first time i pumped petrol in malaysia. It was at a petronas in a small town near yongpeng. I didnt even know need to pay first then pump. The guy asked me how much i need, then i paid and go pump. 97. End effect is i did not get a full tank. Whats the standard process? I going in again tomorrow. Only will pump in small town.

You just tell the counter you need to pump full tank, some might collect rm100 and you top up the exceeded amount

Some will ask u for deposit (norm RM100), after full tank topup the difference.

But some will ask u pay more in advance (eg rm200). After u pump den give u back balance.

• Praise 3

my tank is about 55L so if i have to put deposit i usually put 150RM. More than enough. But i refill at the tuas station most of the time so I just pump first and pay at the counter. No big deal.

• Praise 1

Long time no go JB pump, now need pay deposit ah? Interesting

Yeah most stations will ask for deposit, regardless if you SG or local. 

JB near the checkpoint always have attendant around so I just ask him to activate and pay him cash after that. Usually I round the figure up and tell him don't need to give change. So he get to keep the tips.

Some pumps they can only activate from the counter inside, so have to go in and pay the RM100 deposit for full tank and get back the change after that. A bit inconvenient la. 

In Malacca, the station I was at no attendants. I lazy to walk into the shop and ask the person to activate, so I just slot my credit card into the machine to activate the pump. Then go in and ask for receipt at the counter. This is what the locals do and it's the guy at the next pump that told me just use credit card. He gave me that kind of look like Singaporeans are so backward pump petrol still want to pay cash. 

I still prefer the credit card method, easier to keep track but I've to suffer the exchange rate. Looking for a better credit card that has cash back or lower overseas transaction fee to counter this. But in JB I just go with the flow since the attendants are so used to Singaporeans paying cash and they've been nice to me so I give them tips. Outside of JB I'll pay by card at the pump than trying to figure out what system that particular kiosk has. 

Long time no go JB pump, now need pay deposit ah? Interesting

Only in small town maybe, those i went got staff standing in front which can pay to them directly.

Not deposit, payment upfront before they activate the pump.

So need very good estimation skill to pump petrol there.

Yes, you can pay 100 ringgit for exemple, then when you tank is full, they give you small change. If you pay the deposit with credit card, only what you spend will be credited on your card.

I do it all the time when I travel to Malaysia.

If i wanna pump full tank until the fuel nozzle clicks when it is full how? If I tell cashier pump 20 litres then pay but end up only pump 17 litres and full tank already how?

Don't worry, if you paid more, they give you the small change back.

(edited)

Hi guys, I just came back from JB and it seems that they did put up a sign saying that you have to put deposit of 150RM if you pump full tank. Strange. That was at the petron station

Edited by Fastfive1
↡ Advertisement