UEFA Nations League 2018-19/Euro 2020

mersaylee

Searched but couldn't find any so starting new thread.

Chanced upon the inaugural UEFA Nations League game bt Germany and France...then realised it leads to the Euro 2020 tournament by 2019.

Both teams played like they were in WC...Germany appeared very changed. Could had won by at least three goals if not for France stand-in keeper whom saved at least 5 almost certain attempts in the second 45mins.

Sane came on in the last 10mins of the game but couldn't make much impact. Germany number 9 was excellent on the left flank beating franch number 2 right back numerous times to create dangerous crosses...

Muller had a great chance but he tried to volley a shot instead of a header...team mates were not happy about it.

The French had little chance but still outstanding in terms of defence. Their shape was impressive with constant shifting to close down the Germans advance. They could had 5 up front to force their opponents to play long ball knowing they could be quick with short and rapid passes.

The Germans nearly lost the game 2s after injury time though when a defender cleared a ball in the box but bounced off a french player and the ball beat Neuer but went over the crossbar.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

I edited the title to reflect as UEFA Nations League 2018/19 and Euro 2020 as they are connected as the 4 group winners of the Nation League will automatically qualify for Euro 2020.

• Praise 7

This is the worse kind of marketing ever.

Confuse people only.

Call it Euros 2020 and I am very interested and will watch.

Call it Nations League and many people will give it a miss.

Its as bad as the wedding advert. A guy at a wedding shouting

my parents are the worse parents ever. They are stupid idiots.

Please lah at a wedding don't shout at your parents lah and 

embarrass your relatives only.

These days every dumb idea also marketing people will do and

their clients not knowing any better pay for it.

:D

• Praise 1

Maybe the ad makers read my MIL jokes and copied

the concept for their ad but it doesn't work because it

a totally different context. 

They have to use the concept in a correct context if not

instead coming out funny and witty it comes out as a

lack of respect and distasteful.

Giroud finally ended goal drought with a left kick some more. 2-1 against the Dutch.

Rashford beat his MU colleague once but denied thrice by the same colleague. 1-2 against the Spaniard.

Poor Iceland got hammered by the Swiss 6-0. Unbearable to watch how they were easily torn apart with low crosses...

I edited the title to reflect as UEFA Nations League 2018/19 and Euro 2020 as they are connected as the 4 group winners of the Nation League will automatically qualify for Euro 2020.

Wah lao... i read about these few matches being played during the 'international week', and didn't immediately know what it's about, although I suspected after WC is Euro qualifying...

Now then confirm it...

why they do this??? confusing leh...

maybe the players also confused and didn't take it seriously...

• Praise 2

Wah lao... i read about these few matches being played during the 'international week', and didn't immediately know what it's about, although I suspected after WC is Euro qualifying...

Now then confirm it...

why they do this??? confusing leh...

maybe the players also confused and didn't take it seriously...

Think the idea was to make games more competitive by grouping similar strength teams n also to do away with friendlies though friendlies will still be around but much less.

In fact, there is talk of this Nations League starting in all the confederations n with the 8 winners playing off in a mini WC to replace the current Confederations Cup. And with the WC expanding even bigger likely from 2026, some gloss might be taken off the real WC with so many teams just making up the nos. n the hope is that the winner of the global Nations League can claim to be true “World Champs” ? Well that’s what some critics of the expanded WC hopes for.

• Praise 4

Think the idea was to make games more competitive by grouping similar strength teams n also to do away with friendlies though friendlies will still be around but much less.

In fact, there is talk of this Nations League starting in all the confederations n with the 8 winners playing off in a mini WC to replace the current Confederations Cup. And with the WC expanding even bigger likely from 2026, some gloss might be taken off the real WC with so many teams just making up the nos. n the hope is that the winner of the global Nations League can claim to be true “World Champs” ? Well that’s what some critics of the expanded WC hopes for.

wah ha ha... so everybody - at every level - is thinking of ways to change things, likely to their benefits.

not too long ago, there was discussion among the traditional big European teams to form a rival to UCL, which will benefit those big teams in competitive leagues who had problems squeezing into UCL. It would supposedly leave out the league champions of the smaller leagues, which means only the supposed elites are involved. That would definitely hit UCL hard if it went through.

• Praise 2

wah ha ha... so everybody - at every level - is thinking of ways to change things, likely to their benefits.

not too long ago, there was discussion among the traditional big European teams to form a rival to UCL, which will benefit those big teams in competitive leagues who had problems squeezing into UCL. It would supposedly leave out the league champions of the smaller leagues, which means only the supposed elites are involved. That would definitely hit UCL hard if it went through.

Ya as usual $ is the overriding factor. UEFA came out with this Nations League idea n now FIFA wants to “steal” it by overseeing the proposed global Nations League much to the annoyance of UEFA esp as FIFA President Infantino used to head UEFA n oversaw the birth of UEFA Nations League.

If the Global Nations League does take place eventually, FIFA’s coffers will only get bigger much to chagrin of Confederations like UEFA. So yes money as always the root of all evils n esp so at the already tarnished FIFA.

• Praise 7

This is the worse kind of marketing ever.

Confuse people only.

Call it Euros 2020 and I am very interested and will watch.

Call it Nations League and many people will give it a miss.

Its as bad as the wedding advert. A guy at a wedding shouting

my parents are the worse parents ever. They are stupid idiots.

Please lah at a wedding don't shout at your parents lah and 

embarrass your relatives only.

These days every dumb idea also marketing people will do and

their clients not knowing any better pay for it.

Just like the lousy, clueless, tasteless circles.life contract chicken rice ad. Try so hard to beat down others but make a fool of themselves. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UOV6vRRS0I

• Praise 1

No DC, no problem. Isco, Asensio plus other youngsters stomped Croatia with 6:0 scoreline.

Think Spain has more or less wrapped up that group with England n Croatia fighting out to avoid the drop

• Praise 3

England beat Spain 3-2 in Seville this morning in UEFA Nations League match which puts them back in contention to finish top. Sterling with 2 n Rashford put England 3-0 up within the first 38mins.

On the previous night, Germany’s poor form continued as they were thrashed 0-3 by Holland n they are now in danger of being relegated to the 2nd tier. Coach Low’s Job is in danger. I think they were too reliant on old timers like Neuer, Muller, Hummels etc whose form has deteriorated alarmingly.

• Praise 4

holland beat germany 3-0 .

holland really that strong?

or germany really weak now

now soccer becoming like WWF liao.

all the teams take turns to be whacked - so that it's more interesting and exciting

Next is waiting for France and Belgium to lose, then confirm liao [laugh]

• Praise 1

holland beat germany 3-0 .

holland really that strong?

or germany really weak now

In my opinion, combination of both as Germany has really gone backwards and perhaps change in Mgr is sorely needed.

As for Holland, they have improved under new boss Koeman n with young players in the fray; they are on the up n so will rightly get back their place amongst the elite soon as Dutch teams always exciting to watch!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6