Fowl play: 13 chicken suppliers fined price fixing

Ysc3

Fowl play: 13 chicken suppliers fined record S$26.9m for price-fixing, non-compete pacts

THIRTEEN distributors of fresh chicken have been fined S$26.9 million for price-fixing and agreeing not to compete for customers, the largest total financial penalty in a single case to date, the Competition and Consumer Commission of Singapore (CCCS) said in a media statement on Wednesday.

Fresh chicken distributors import live chickens from farms in Malaysia and slaughter them in Singapore, selling the fresh chicken products to customers such as supermarkets and restaurants. The 13 distributors collectively supply more than 90 per cent of fresh chicken products in Singapore, with an annual combined turnover amounting to about half a billion dollars.

The 13 suppliers were fined between S$705,939 to S$11.4 million, taking into account relevant turnovers; the nature, duration and seriousness of the infringement; aggravating and mitigating factors, such as cooperation with the CCCS; and representations made.

"Particularly for this case, the large size of the industry, the high market shares of the parties, the seriousness and the long duration (of about seven years) of the cartel conduct contributed to CCCS imposing the highest total financial penalty in a single case to date," said the CCCS.

post-2854-0-72291200-1536737475.jpg

↡ Advertisement

Somehow i seem @tianmo mentioned Kee Song Chicken in the exercise and lose weight thread.. but forgot the mention was for cheap or fresh or what..

• Praise 1

While more businesses were initially egged on and agreed to participate in the collusion, all but the thirteen chickened out subsequently.

There is however no word about the serious cock-up at CCCS such that it was none the wiser until 2015 despite such collusion having started as far back as 2007. A spokesperson briefly and vaguely asserted that the failure to detect the offence any earlier was "honest" and that a no-blame culture should apply, before quickly crossed the road away from this reporter.   

• Praise 2

wow...the fine is so high.

1 year turn over is 1/2b.

the fine just about right.

but i think some1 inside baotuo them.

if not these type of price fixing very hard to catch 1.

• Praise 1

strangely, all the petrol stations selling the same octane at exactly the same price is not price fixing.

You see. These cartels prob let govt profit way too much liao... Whereas the chickens kena taxed too less. Whats a 1/2 billion industry compared with multi billions taxes they collect from oil cartels wor.

Honestly petrol if no price fixing, I think pigs can fly liao lor.

I think they should also investigate geylang.

I suspect there also chicken got price fixing.

:D

I got praised by 1 anonymous.

He agrees with me but don't want his wife to know?

• Praise 1

While more businesses were initially egged on and agreed to participate in the collusion, all but the thirteen chickened out subsequently.

There is however no word about the serious cock-up at CCCS such that it was none the wiser until 2015 despite such collusion having started as far back as 2007. A spokesperson briefly and vaguely asserted that the failure to detect the offence any earlier was "honest" and that a no-blame culture should apply, before quickly crossed the road away from this reporter.

Better late than never. Many such collision cases being persecuted recently, it shows CCS got bite and resources these days. Think more to come.

I think they should also investigate geylang.

I suspect there also chicken got price fixing.

I got 2 anonymous praise for this post.

2 members agree but don't want their wives to know.

↡ Advertisement