How do you accelerate in an automatic car?

Philipkee

Don't see this thread before but I think it was discussed before in other forums.

How do you move off or accelerate in an auto car?

Do you

1) jam the accelerator

2) move off slowly, release accelerator, press again and release then press....

3) light pressing of accelerator until desired speed

I believe few will do number 1. But I heard driving instructors teach both 2&3 so lai lai let's discuss. Who do what and why and is it better?

We had a thread on manual cars so let's talk about auto cars.

Usually i will do the following, launch control. 

1) Shift to neutral gear

2) Rev to 4000rpm

3) Shift to D

• Praise 3

Usually i will do the following, launch control. 

1) Shift to neutral gear

2) Rev to 4000rpm

3) Shift to D

like that the auto gear box will up lorry very fast. You change gear box every 3 months?

• Praise 3

1) It will actually save the most fuel, esp if u can achieve desired cruise speed and stay there. Up to u to believe

2) Most fuel guzzling method to drive. Shorten torque converter life. Vomit inducing ride. If you are a Grab driver, prep to receive 1 or 0 star from passenger

3) It actually waste more fuel driving this way as compared to Pt 1

Probably depends on car. I tried using method 1 for one whole tank and 3 for another tank. 3 got me close to 13km/l while 1 got 9km/l.

how you accelerate depends on the type of AT....assuming you are talking about accelerating quickly?:

1) CVT

- just press in gradually. no point flooring it since it will still take it's time to accelerate anyway with lots of noise. the infamous rubber band effect.

2) Conventional torque converter

- just press in to 80% and left the gear change up to 2-3 before planting the pedal to the floor. That way you get the best acceleration.

- reason being most modern cars power band drops off at ard 4-5K anyway, no point pushing the RPM to hit redline (torque already dropped off) and the AT to upshift when touching the redline. 

3) DCT (Dual clutch transmission)

- similar to (2)

- just take note on traffic jams situation half clutch wearing and heat when starting and stopping

• Praise 6

Probably depends on car. I tried using method 1 for one whole tank and 3 for another tank. 3 got me close to 13km/l while 1 got 9km/l.

Yes, only works for his car, no others.  [:p]

Being young is so gooood; spot mode all the time, wife at most grabbed something in the car and enjoy the ride with you.....

20+ years after I promote my GF to Wife, and now Home-minister...occasionally I get the death-stare :yuush: if I perform sudden acceleration or fast lane-change... :grin:

You must be loved deep-deep by your folks & hers...for being considerate... [thumbsup]

Thanks for the kind words.

Maybe that’s why my wife always close eyes pretend sleep in the car.. she say I drive like 穿越时空 lol

Being young is so gooood; spot mode all the time, wife at most grabbed something in the car and enjoy the ride with you.....

20+ years after I promote my GF to Wife, and now Home-minister...occasionally I get the death-stare :yuush: if I perform sudden acceleration or fast lane-change... :grin:

You must be loved deep-deep by your folks & hers...for being considerate... [thumbsup]

As I get older, I drive faster. Simi death stare, simi nagging has no impact.

I am driver. I drive the way I like.

I am not PHV driver.

PHV drivers also drive the way they like.....just saying :D

As I get older, I drive faster. Simi death stare, simi nagging has no impact.

I am driver. I drive the way I like.

I am not PHV driver.

• Praise 5

1) and 3).

Definitely not 2), that is taxi style, puke inducing experience for passengers. 

yes i really dislike that especially the turbodiesel cabs with a lot of torque, then ease off, torque again ease off.

I really don't like sitting in cabs

• Praise 1

Don't see this thread before but I think it was discussed before in other forums.

How do you move off or accelerate in an auto car?

Do you

1) jam the accelerator

2) move off slowly, release accelerator, press again and release then press....

3) light pressing of accelerator until desired speed

I believe few will do number 1. But I heard driving instructors teach both 2&3 so lai lai let's discuss. Who do what and why and is it better?

We had a thread on manual cars so let's talk about auto cars.

2) if the traffic is slow , but doing this at low speed sometimes made my car jerk as the gear switches.

3) if traffic is smooth. 

I only do 1) if and only if @radx is driving beside  me ..........   [knife]  never let him see Ur face .  [grin]

• Praise 7

like that the auto gear box will up lorry very fast. You change gear box every 3 months?

waaaaaaaaa u can do 1) for an entire tank ?  [thumbsup]  no horse run 

• Praise 5

none of the above for me.

I drive with stage acceleration. press ..hold..press further..hold.

it more like accelerating in stages.

let the car achieve the optimal rpm before pressing further if in need of speed.

same go for breaking..I tap..hold without releasing..gradually step amd hold..in stages until the car come to a stop.

stages acceleration and stages breaking.

sorry to non chinese bros here. i cant translate.

no right or wrong. i have been driving such style for years.

Edited by Kopites
  • Praise 3

For me, either (1) or (3) depending on mood. If I want to play with the gears, will just use steptronic to control. Somehow, my current car likes to hold the current gear even if I release throttle. My previous car would shift up to the next gear once throttle is released sufficiently.

that is a performance motor you are driving

Fast or slow pick up is one thing. How do you all chup corners for those whose car doesnt have those sport modes? Brake like hell and hope for the best?

↡ Advertisement