How do you accelerate in an automatic car?

Philipkee

Driving school will teach you to have your foot on the brake at all times when waiting at traffic because if someone rear ends you:

1) you will not be pushed into perpendicular cross traffic to be T-boned. 

2) you will not create a chain collusion by knocking into the car waiting infront of you. 

1) leave your foot on foot brake?

I notice a lot of people do 1. But I heard it's unsafe because if a car knocks into you from behind your leg slips off the foot brake and you will lurch forward. Or if you get distracted and your leg slips off the foot brake.....

↡ Advertisement

Next question. How do you stop with an auto car for prolonged periods (not parking. Let's say at traffic lights)?

Do you

2) turn to neutral and handbrake up?

3) start stop makes this question redundant?

4) others

I notice a lot of people do 1. But I heard it's unsafe because if a car knocks into you from behind your leg slips off the foot brake and you will lurch forward. Or if you get distracted and your leg slips off the foot brake.....

But 2. causes wear and tear

3. No comments but seems weird when I sit in cars with this feature.

(2) will cause premature failure of the transmission.

Don't see this thread before but I think it was discussed before in other forums.

How do you move off or accelerate in an auto car?

Do you

1) jam the accelerator

2) move off slowly, release accelerator, press again and release then press....

3) light pressing of accelerator until desired speed

I believe few will do number 1. But I heard driving instructors teach both 2&3 so lai lai let's discuss. Who do what and why and is it better?

We had a thread on manual cars so let's talk about auto cars.

My acceleration depends on only 1 condition

1) who's in the vehicle.

Next question. How do you stop with an auto car for prolonged periods (not parking. Let's say at traffic lights)?

Do you

4) others

Number 1..

(2) will cause premature failure of the transmission.

But all our cars need to scrap at 10 years. So not much of a difference. I have been using (2) since my first automatic car till now.

This reminds me of my previous manager who was driving a Vios. One fine day he asked me out for lunch. I was his passenger in the Vios.

Goodness, the way he drove was horrible. Step on accelerator, let go of accelerator completely for the gear to change up, then step again. Repeated process until desired speed.

I think he was not happy when I remarked that he did not need to release the accelerator completely and that the gearbox will shift up in a smoother manner if he didn't do that.

He didn't ask me out for lunch after that :D

What's wrong with doing that? I did the same when I was driving an auto vios. Though I did not release accelerator fully. I released a bit for it to upshift before accelerating again.

Do you

4) others

I use start stop. There's this dilemma that using start stop will cause your transmission to up lorry faster, yet not using increases fuel consumption when idling, esp during those bloody custom jams.

For me 1.

Simple.

Same.

Although mine has this electronic parking brake button that will also do braking hold without stepping, I'm lazy to shift my feet unless it's a prolonged jam

An interesting sight here is, the car will creep at junction when red anticipating it to turn green. But, when the light turns green, the driver refuses to accelerate off.

Or accelerate too slowly... reducing the no. of cars behind that bugger than can cross that traffic junction  [smash]

It's the same with taxis.. they tailgate & bully smaller/slower cars off lane 1 but when the lane is open infront of them for miles, they start their road hog nonsense  [hur]

• Praise 1

Can someone also share how to accelerate slower. I have a very bad habit of burning more petrol than my chao neighbour.

Tums are bad. Earth is dying. Must be more eco eco.

What's your rpm when accelerating from start? Pedal down and allow the car to climb m and change gear at between 2.5 to 3k rpm is most economical.

Start stop does nothing to the transmission. 

I use start stop. There's this dilemma that using start stop will cause your transmission to up lorry faster, yet not using increases fuel consumption when idling, esp during those bloody custom jams.

Or accelerate too slowly... reducing the no. of cars behind that bugger than can cross that traffic junction [smash]

It's the same with taxis.. they tailgate & bully smaller/slower cars off lane 1 but when the lane is open infront of them for miles, they start their road hog nonsense [hur]

Well you can easily tia and play with the diesel Taxi now.