How do you accelerate in an automatic car?

Philipkee

Start stop does nothing to the transmission. 

But to the starter and spark plugs.

But all our cars need to scrap at 10 years. So not much of a difference. I have been using (2) since my first automatic car till now.

Can still renew COE for another 10 years.

↡ Advertisement

But all our cars need to scrap at 10 years. So not much of a difference. I have been using (2) since my first automatic car till now.

Somehow your argument sounds warped. So an autotrans is guaranteed to last 10 years? Unlimited mileage?

All I can say is that lightning hasn't struck yet.

Somehow your argument sounds warped. So an autotrans is guaranteed to last 10 years? Unlimited mileage?

All I can say is that lightning hasn't struck yet.

Personally, both ways also might wear the transmission. Leaving in D puts more strain on the transmission and heats it up. Anyway, for those that like to leave in D also not much of a problem nowadays since modern cars will automatically shift to N when the car is not moving then engage D again when the brake pedal is released.

If lightning strikes then too bad. Cuz even my dad who has a habit of leaving in D at stop lights also had to rebuild his cars transmission before cuz of overheating.

But to the starter and spark plugs.

Can still renew COE for another 10 years.

Yeah. I know. My car above 10 years old also. Edited by Nzy

Eh I can't be bothered with them, no need to prove anything.

Ya. Me too. Can't be bothered with them or PHV. Travel 90 on lane 1 and the front is completely empty! Usually, I just overtake them from the lane 2. I know no overtaking on the left but what to do. Edited by Tiger1

Ya. Me too. Can't be bothered with them or PHV. Travel 90 on lane 1 and the front is completely empty! Usually, I just overtake them from the lane 2. I know no overtaking on the left but what to do.

The thing is you overtake from the left liao then they will flash light at you, dunno what's their problem  [laugh]

Personally, both ways also might wear the transmission. Leaving in D puts more strain on the transmission and heats it up. Anyway, for those that like to leave in D also not much of a problem nowadays since modern cars will automatically shift to N when the car is not moving then engage D again when the brake pedal is released.

If lightning strikes then too bad. Cuz even my dad who has a habit of leaving in D at stop lights also had to rebuild his cars transmission before cuz of overheating.

Yeah. I know. My car above 10 years old also.

It's good for you to state that it's your personal view, as knowledgeable drivers know that shifting from D to N and back to D at traffic lights causes more wear and tear. Try asking Mr Google for his opinion too.

Which modern car will automatically shift to N when not moving and engage D again when brake pedal released?

• Praise 1

all i know i am most of the time the first off the line, unless the car next to me is a stinger.

LOL thats because other cars can win you off the line but dont even bother. You can be the first all you want. 1st all the way to north pole if you like it Edited by Ooosh

It's good for you to state that it's your personal view, as knowledgeable drivers know that shifting from D to N and back to D at traffic lights causes more wear and tear. Try asking Mr Google for his opinion too.

Which modern car will automatically shift to N when not moving and engage D again when brake pedal released?

Ya. I want to know too. Which car auto put to N when stopped and then go back to D when moving. Got so intelligent cars meh? Didn't know that.

Put car in N when car come to standstill will reduce lifespan of the transmission in long run. If traffic light is very long and don't want to keep depress brake paddle. The next option will be pull handbrake and shift to park.

To me....  Putting your transmission in Neutral while stopped is same as:

1) asking your SE to keep all the plastic cover on your seats, sun visors when you take delivery of the car and left it there till the day you sell the car or they become torn.. Which ever is earlier.

2) asking your SE to leave the door guard plastic pieces on your doors before delivery..

3) put tower or T-shirt over the car seats to "preserve" the car seats. 

For goodness sake..... Cars are not made out of tissue paper....  :D

To me.... Putting your transmission in Neutral while stopped is same as:

1) asking your SE to keep all the plastic cover on your seats, sun visors when you take delivery of the car and left it there till the day you sell the car or they become torn.. Which ever is earlier.

2) asking your SE to leave the door guard plastic pieces on your doors before delivery..

For goodness sake..... Cars are not made out of tissue paper.... :D

Oh shucks. I always do 3.

But that's is cos it's easier to put the shirts in the washing machine than to wipe the seats, esp after hiking. Also as an old man, I have lots of old shirts.

I usually put to neutral

To me.... Putting your transmission in Neutral while stopped is same as:

For goodness sake..... Cars are not made out of tissue paper.... :D

Oh shucks. I always do 3.

But that's is cos it's easier to put the shirts in the washing machine than to wipe the seats, esp after hiking. Also as an old man, I have lots of old shirts.

I usually put to neutral and handbrake up if I need to stop for for reasons like passenger get off, on and so on when I was driving auto car cos it's easy to get distracted when someone is getting off/on. Traffic lights no issue. BTW my gear box started to show problems at 7.5 years but just nice I was trading in my car. But I did declare this to the AD.

The preserve the car seats one.. I really don't get it. I find it such an eyesore. Usually people who do this to "preserve" the car seats.. the car general condition very jialat one, then only preserve the seats, what's the point?  :D

Just asked Mr Google and seems like the answer is also mixed. Putting in D puts strain on the transmission and keep shifting into N also puts strain on the transmission. I guess driving the car put strain on it. Maybe don't drive better. Lasts forever.

I put to N so no need to step on brake so hard. I feel that just drive how you like. Cuz I have not met anyone who has destroyed his transmission by putting into N at the lights.

Even my dad who used to drive taxi always shift into N before the car stops. His taxi started to have transmission problems on the 5th year, at about 400+k km. So I guess if your mileage is high or you intend to renew COE a few times, the car is more likely to die of other problems than a transmission problem caused by putting it into N at the traffic lights.

The thing is you overtake from the left liao then they will flash light at you, dunno what's their problem [laugh]

May be flash to remind you forget to turn on headlight or headlight at high beams.. hee hee...

Ya. I want to know too. Which car auto put to N when stopped and then go back to D when moving. Got so intelligent cars meh? Didn't know that.

Many cars do that. All the cars that have auto start stop, does that. It goes into N before turning off the engine and then starts the engine and engages D when you lift your foot. There are also many other cars that do that, but those with ASS definitely have that feature.

↡ Advertisement