Looking for Job in automotive sector, need advise

Nick2342

What if the hiring manager wants to hire only his friends, family members or people from his village?

:D

:grin: happen quite rampantly...

Ultimately, the hiring manager is responsible for the overall performance of his process / outputs.

HR is also doing the reference checks on candidates' qualifications and past work experiences. Agree this might not be easy as some or most are FT.

↡ Advertisement

If I get this right. Ts is upset that no one wants to give him a chance in an industry he wants to be in due to multiple factors, a major one being lack of experience, but at the same time, given a chance to get 12 months of relevant experience. Is not willing to do so.

Or am I wrong?

To add i detect a hint of

Parsons sick role behavior evident as well

Iâm afraid I have to say this, but once you have started a family, itâs very hard to have the luxury to pursuit your specific dreams, because priority is to put food on the table for them being more important to take such risks.

Sorry i didnt clarify. I mean sole breadwinner as in taking care of existing household

Yup. Thats one of the reasons why im still torn. A perm dead end job with basic 1.8k that cannot support a family long term and v little chance of promotion vs a job that only 12 months with uncertain future after if contract expires or not renewed.

Is a very big decision i have to make as this is my first job..

To TS. Contract jobs is the norm now in an employer's market. Contractors allow the company to observe an employee for a year under real biz conditions and corporate culture before offering a permanent position after 1 or 2 cycles. Also allows company to downsize without penalty in case market shrinks.

TS, if you are confident about your abilities, willing to work hard, have good attitude, there will be no shortage of jobs. Once proven yourself, your ex-bosses and ex-colleagues will refer your name to prospective employers, and you will be hunted down by.

Remember, a perm position can also disappear if the company closes or you are asked to leave due to poor performance and/or poor business.

If the contract terms offers you full medical benefits and a competitive pay, go for it. You have 1 year to prove yourself to bosses and colleague, and secure a permanent post.

Good luck.

Thank you for your advice. Honestly is just that also got many complications in this case such as i having partial hearing loss. So im not confident somewhat as well. But taking steps to mitigate this.

Will take the contract job if its offered after the interview, after looking through the advices given.

Thanks to everyone for thier helpful insight. Really appreciate it!

Job security is in you, never in any job. Even the best companies can be merged and job disappears. You have to be as capable as someone able bodied despite hearing impaired. Only then will you be accepted. It's not a charity,so the playing field is level.

Lucky that you did not get into the company.  A CEO whom is free to conduct an interview for 4 hours means he will do a lot of micro-management with his free time....

He is too free nothing better to do :mellow:

Spotted him few times go AD lim kopi and TCSS with SM [sweatdrop]

What if the hiring manager wants to hire only his friends, family members or people from his village?

:D

Nepotism is a norm here cos even Pinky puppies are all related one mah  [lipsrsealed]  [sly]

• Praise 2

(edited)

Sigh. Been to so many interviews but no luck yet. Keep applying but never hear back..

Went for an automotive exam in one company in Jan and passed but they will get back only next month as doing restructuring.. not very optimistic..

Edited by Nick2342

Sigh. Been to so many interviews but no luck yet. Keep applying but never hear back..

Went for an automotive exam in one company in Jan and passed but they will get back only next month as doing restructuring.. not very optimistic..

Be patient and enjoy the CNY first

Be patient and enjoy the CNY first

Yup.. but haix.. the longer it is.. the less im likely to find auto job. Cos by then will be competing with next batch of soon to graduates.

Hi Nick not here to throw a wet blanket but I think its only fair that you know what is going on. For automotive be it parts or car suppliers/manufacturers most of the big boys have frozen their headcounts, some are even restructuring. As you can see from the news not too long ago, JLR, Ford and GM has began a cutting jobs globally. So... this industry is not too rosy at the moment. The only company that frequently pops up in my mailer is Dyson. You may want to check if there are anything that suits you. As for workshops, business is as usual however there is a trend that car owners now drag their maintenance service period. 

(edited)

Hi bro, it is really not easy getting into the big companies as you are fresh from school with no working experience. This is reality, put yourself in the employers shoes, will u hire someone fresh from school with no experience? Even if u r good, 1 Job opening 200 applicants exclude people who are referred recommended / pull cables / people from internal transfer etc...how u going to get through??? Harsh FACT but reality...it's not easy a needle in haystack!!

If u like automotive, u got to start somewhere...my suggestion for fastest "results" visit those industrial estates, Ubi kaki bukit etc, go door to door and ask if they are hiring...work 6mths 1 yr and apply others from there. Good luck

Honestly.. if fresh grads dont hve a place to start off from or no one give chance, how to gain working experience?

I tried small and big workshops and ADs. Been going down and also applying online for almost a year alr. also no luck.

Edited by Nick2342

Edit add on my previous post since cnt find edit button: im not saying job shld be godsent or drop down from sky.. but just that is a vicious cycle eg like what u say, bosses want experienced ppl but no one give chance.. its a harsh situation and very hard to break after such a long time even though i keep trying.. feel like theres no hope.. esp when hve mouth to feed.

Allow me to share personal experience.. I finished school in 1997, got into a job that pays me $1250 full time excluding OT, after 3 month probation pay becomes $1500..

8 months later ASIAN financial crisis hits and got retrenched. Went on to do part time job immediately didn’t think too much and work in a telco as contract part time phone customer service at less than $1200 per month excluding OT (now that answers why when we call into customer service the service standard not so good

• Praise 14

Allow me to share personal experience.. I finished school in 1997, got into a job that pays me $1250 full time excluding OT, after 3 month probation pay becomes $1500..

8 months later ASIAN financial crisis hits and got retrenched. Went on to do part time job immediately didn’t think too much and work in a telco as contract part time phone customer service at less than $1200 per month excluding OT (now that answers why when we call into customer service the service standard not so good

• Praise 7

All I can say bro, this is Singapore!! Nobody gives u a chance, U fight for your own chance. No point keep complaining but nothing moving forward gets done. Even some graduates with university degrees have hard time, at 6M population include foreigners!!! While we all want to support U morally, it very much depends on yourself bro! Plus correct timeing correct place, LUCK!! There are many jobs paying $1.5k to $2.5k easily.....gets u moving and dun be choosy.

Read Chucky2007 post for some moral encouragement! Remember and drill in your brain hard, THIS is SINGAPORE! Or u may have chances overseas!!

honestly dunno what else to do le.. i tried almost everything.. today also went interview also tio reject.. asking for basic pay, not choosy, willing to work on sat.. only thing is my hearing which is vital for troubleshooting..

Edited by Fcw75

Little home at Eunos Crescent ah bro? [:p]

No wonder when I see you, I see a very å¹¸ç¦ man.

Now doing well stay condo liao hor... :D

First home in Eunos crescent bro. Got to rent out the rooms while I stay in one room.. every cents counts then
↡ Advertisement