My Wish Came Through (haha)

Heartlander

Thanks for the link. This is in 2011, should be the 1st gen B-class. No such complaints from 2012 onwards after 2nd gen B-class was released means most probably ok already right?

As I put elsewhere, this 2nd gen ride debutted in 2012 and had a facelift in 2015. If any issues should have already surfaced since it sells in large quantity overseas. Over here I only see 2 recall notices being issued after logging into LTA website. I will try to get the 2nd recall fixed when I bring the ride for its 60,000km servicing next month.

I'm not sure if the AC issue still plague the facelift...A fren had a high mileage for like 6-7 years with no issue since bought new until the AC acted up with several attempts to resolve to a point she got fed up and traded for a harrier.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

@heartlander, Congrats on the 2 new purchases!

I think you have been bitten by the conti bug. :D

Once you have tasted conti, it is hard to go back.

I recently changed my wife's saab 9-3 combi to a mini. The search process was daunting as I had to rule out various jap/korean small cars candidates. The ride, drive and build quality is just different.

Just want to highlight one point so that others considering the same route can be aware: from 1 large car to 2 smaller cars, have to have one car insurance starting from zero. It's a painful process but not too bad if you are above 40 as that seem to be the magical number that insurance premium takes a dip.

I recently changed my wife's saab 9-3 combi to a mini. The search process was daunting as I had to rule out various jap/korean small cars candidates. The ride, drive and build quality is just different.

Just want to highlight one point so that others considering the same route can be aware: from 1 large car to 2 smaller cars, have to have one car insurance starting from zero. It's a painful process but not too bad if you are above 40 as that seem to be the magical number that insurance premium takes a dip.

Thanks. Two used rides but surprisingly like new condition. Conti seems to be able to age much better than jap rides.

Definitely true about the insurance part. No choice haha.

Wow 2 Bs at the same time..... same colour then best. Couple car with wifey mah....

情侣车

Yeah damn expensive. And another point is that if get some demerit point or ncd deduction, does it affect both policies?

Not very clear about the above.

So since insurance start from zero ncd, I wanted to change to my wife's name for the insurance. But realised cannot as the car was registered under my name.

Yeah damn expensive. And another point is that if get some demerit point or ncd deduction, does it affect both policies?

So since insurance start from zero ncd, I wanted to change to my wife's name for the insurance. But realised cannot as the car was registered under my name.

NCD deduction is tied to the car insurance policy. So if if one of the 2 cars get into accident and result in reduction in NCD, only that policy's NCD gets affected.

Demerit point is tied to the car driver. That said, it indirectly affect your insurance cost if you lose your COM (Certificate of Merit ) from the TP once you break the duck egg.

Keeping my fingers cross...so far I still have 2 X 50% NCD with COM.....no need to say...took at least 5 years to build up. I make sure there is NCD protector in all the policies I buy. :D

• Praise 1

Thanks. Two used rides but surprisingly like new condition. Conti seems to be able to age much better than jap rides.

Two very contrast colour haha.

haha. interior ages better but everything in the engine bay ages faster.

haha. interior ages better but everything in the engine bay ages faster.

Curious about items in engine  bay in conti cars aging faster. Can elaborate? Thanks for sharing.

Curious about items in engine  bay in conti cars aging faster. Can elaborate? Thanks for sharing.

gaskets and seals... all puke... plastics all brittle. japanese a little more hardy in this regard.

• Praise 1

gaskets and seals... all puke... plastics all brittle. japanese a little more hardy in this regard.

German car operating temperature is btw 100 and 120

Jap car is around 80

Two very contrast colour haha.

The used car dealer must have done some touch ups. Anyway buying a 5 year old conti definitely has its risks involved. Like what many bro says, the engine temp is much higher and engine wear and tear definitely is much higher in these conti cars. Hopefully the dealer gives u some sort of warranty.

The used car dealer must have done some touch ups. Anyway buying a 5 year old conti definitely has its risks involved. Like what many bro says, the engine temp is much higher and engine wear and tear definitely is much higher in these conti cars. Hopefully the dealer gives u some sort of warranty.

Not really got touch up, especially the second car that was handed over from previous owner just 2 days before. I accepted as is with abit of discount. Just spent abit of time to groom it, and sure look better than my previous rides haha.

As both are 3 year old car, relatively new, no warranty provided. Got do test drive to make sure no odd noises from anywhere. That's all haha. Anyway I do not think a 3 year old car will give much problem, especially never read any negative feedbacks on this ride. Maybe I was also embolden by this article read last 2 weeks that B-class is the most reliable MPV in that country. Got time I attach here.

Keeping fingers crossed.

Got one thing i found out last year, which may or may not be useful to you (in future) - but just share lah.

Now you got 2 cars and 2 insurance policies under your name, one with 50% NCD and one starting with 0% NCD.

5 years later, even the 2nd/newer car has 50% NCD.

If for whatever reason when you change one of the cars after that, and you want to change the name of that car to your wife's name, some insurance company will allow the transfer of the 50% NCD to accompany the transfer, and carry over to the new car. Not all insurance companies will allow, but some will - you just have to ask them upfront. They will ask you for a good reason, and you probably will be asked to state the reason in a simple letter for their filing.

• Praise 5

Interesting take on your choice. I think if you're set on foregoing 3 years of ride, no point then comparing the dollars and sense and savings, tax, maintenance costs etc.

Just enjoy the rides.

Interesting take on your choice. I think if you're set on foregoing 3 years of ride, no point then comparing the dollars and sense and savings, tax, maintenance costs etc.

Just enjoy the rides.

Sorry but of course have to tabulate the costs. The fact that it has happened is nothing short of a miracle. I would not think it would have been possible if I had not done due diligence by detailing the costs of the transformation to my wife, who is generally supportive but still needs some hard figures to be convinced that I am not siao. If this fail miserably, at least we are doing it together, and no finger pointing as she is aware of all the costs involved haha.

• Praise 1

Not really got touch up, especially the second car that was handed over from previous owner just 2 days before. I accepted as is with abit of discount. Just spent abit of time to groom it, and sure look better than my previous rides haha.

As both are 3 year old car, relatively new, no warranty provided. Got do test drive to make sure no odd noises from anywhere. That's all haha. Anyway I do not think a 3 year old car will give much problem, especially never read any negative feedbacks on this ride. Maybe I was also embolden by this article read last 2 weeks that B-class is the most reliable MPV in that country. Got time I attach here.

Keeping fingers crossed.

Found the article:

https://www.whatcar.com/news/reliability-survey-2018-8/

Why same car? I thought its better to have 2 diff car for diff experience?

Maybe get B180 and another one X1 or Q3

You forgot the ONE who changed to two identical Estima?!

Who ah?

:D

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1