BLACKOUT around parts of Singapore 180918

BabyBlade

Internal Moderator

Electricity supply to parts of Singapore was disrupted at 1.29 am, said SP Group, adding that it is investigating the cause. Social media users in areas such as Bedok, Yishun, Woodlands and Sembawang have reported blackouts.

post-107101-0-83972700-1537209126_thumb.jpeg

SINGAPORE - Several parts of Singapore were hit by a blackout as electricity supplies were cut early on Tuesday morning (Sept 18).

SP Group said in a Facebook post at 1.43am that electricity supply to parts of Singapore was disrupted at 1.29am.

"Our officers were immediately deployed to the affected areas and our priority is to restore supply as safely The post also said that SP was investigating the cause of the incident.

Several posts on social media have indicated that several areas in central, eastern and western Singapore were affected.

These include Eunos, Bedok, Ang Mo Kio, Sembawang, Tanjong Rhu, and West Coast.and quickly as possible," it added.

Power eventually returned in some areas, according to several affected residents.

In a second post on Facebook at 2.15am, SP said that the electricity supply to all areas had been fully restored.

“We are sorry for the inconvenience caused and thank the public for your patience. We are investigating the cause of the incident,” it added.

Mr Tan Boon Tong, 37, who works in healthcare, told The Straits Times that he was at his Housing Board flat in Ang Mo Kio Avenue 4 when the lights and fans suddenly went out.

"My mother was in the living room watching television and it suddenly went off. So I went out to check, and it was total darkness," he said.

"I looked out of the window and found that the block opposite was in total darkness as well."

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Are power outage going to be as common as MRT service disruption, given that the last outage occurred just 3 months ago (affecting Shenton Way and Chinatown area)?

And talking about that, I don't remember seeing any investigation report on the previous incident too. Time to have a total review of our power supply network resilience and emergency response plan. Complacency can wipe out what we have achieved in the past 50 plus years, overnight... :excl:

• Praise 12

Even the street lights, traffic lights went off.

If happened during daytime, will the ERP gantry be standing strong still?

https://mothership.sg/2018/09/blackout-singapore/

Important facilitates and precincts are well protected with alternative sources. They have ppwer lines running in loop and generators plant to back up. ERP is one hahaha

If never on the aircon, how to tell whether got blackout or not huh?

Fan stop running.

Radio clock reset to 00:00.

Fish filter no sound.

No wifi.

TV recording stop halfway.

• Praise 1

Nowadays people cannot sleep without aircon de, such blackout at such hours, wonder how many people got affected and could not sleep throughout the night?! Lol.

Fan stop running.

Radio clock reset to 00:00.

Fish filter no sound.

No wifi.

TV recording stop halfway.

Of this list, only fan is applicable in my case. If koon already wouldn't have noticed/complained about wifi.

and i was checking with wife whether did the fan go off, but she also can't remember whether it was always on (= no blackout), or it went off, and she woke up to switch it on again (= got blackout)

[sweatdrop]

↡ Advertisement