On Collision Prevention Assist Plus (CPA+)

Heartlander

I would like to get feedback on this CPA+ feature that are standard in latest Mercedes.

It is supposed to alert the drivers of imminent collision and, correct me if I am wrong, activate the brake to prevent collision from happening. This is definitely something that I find very useful and wanted in my ride.

But my experieince so far is that the alert will come on erratically, sometimes out by miles when there is nothing to collide into but perhaps the road divider which the car is not deviating into. Think abit too sensitive.

I would like to know if this could be raised during servicing and be calibrated?

Also I would like to hear any first-hand account of whether this feature has saved your butt so far. In another owrds, whether this feature is well designed that I can depend on it when the need arises. I would think it would benefit fellow owners haha.

↡ Advertisement

You can change the mode

From very sensitive to normal

In bmw it’s called DAP+

It’s intuitive and saved my ride by e-braking to prevent a collision

@vratenza any comments

Caveat:

Still be alert on the roads

These cars effectively are autonomous ready but do your due diligence

Thanks for sharing. Indeed there are a few videos on youtube on this.

I find the following one most informative.

But my question is still would whether this feature is well implemented in our rides. There is difference between design and actual implementation. I would be most keen to know if this feature has failed you in any instances that resulted in a collision. From the video, it is supposed to work at speed of up to 100km/hr.

Thanks for sharing. Indeed there are a few videos on youtube on this.

I find the following one most informative.

But my question is still would whether this feature is well implemented in our rides. There is difference between design and actual implementation. I would be most keen to know if this feature has failed you in any instances that resulted in a collision. From the video, it is supposed to work at speed of up to 100km/hr.

Sample size is too small lah.

Local Mercedes owner (with the new autonomous emergency braking) + gotten into a situation needing this to kick in + failure ...

How to get an accurate picture. This one have to google and read those european or usa forums. or else numbers likely not representative.

• Praise 1

The CPA+ is only active above 7kph. So if traffic jam and slow crawling traffic is not going to help you.

You must understand how the system works.

There is a single radar emitter and receiver device installed in your front bumper to help gauge the distance of your car from the car in front. So in a way it is quite "dumb" as it cannot differentiate the back of the car from a wall/barrier.

Since it is a single receiver system, it is only able to detect a cone area in front of your car. So if going round a very sharp bend  with high barriers/walls, the system will "think" that the obstacle detected is a vehicle and gave off the warning. But it should not be enough to brake autonomously. as it will be dangerous if it started braking while you are driving round a bend/curve.

I do get some very occasional random alert when there was no nearby vehicle or walls/barriers. I attribute it to some random road debris hitting the bumper at just the right spot sending a mini shockwave to the radar receiver behind mimicing an obstacle.

As to whether it is useful, a definite YES. Just drive as per normal. Don't rely on the system. But when it does help you, take it as a bonus. 

I would like to get feedback on this CPA+ feature that are standard in latest Mercedes.

It is supposed to alert the drivers of imminent collision and, correct me if I am wrong, activate the brake to prevent collision from happening. This is definitely something that I find very useful and wanted in my ride.

But my experieince so far is that the alert will come on erratically, sometimes out by miles when there is nothing to collide into but perhaps the road divider which the car is not deviating into. Think abit too sensitive.

I would like to know if this could be raised during servicing and be calibrated?

Also I would like to hear any first-hand account of whether this feature has saved your butt so far. In another owrds, whether this feature is well designed that I can depend on it when the need arises. I would think it would benefit fellow owners haha.

• Praise 1

Have tried the equivalent on Volvo (PA2) as well as BMW (DAP+). Personally, I find that DAP+ is more superior than PA2 in terms of recognizing objects in front and also the other aspect like semi-autonomous driving with the auto steering, reading of lane markings.

Nevertheless, IMO, they should be standard safety equipment for all cars just like a safety belt.

• Praise 3

Sample size is too small lah.

Local Mercedes owner (with the new autonomous emergency braking) + gotten into a situation needing this to kick in + failure ...

How to get an accurate picture. This one have to google and read those european or usa forums. or else numbers likely not representative.

What I seek is real user experience/feeback, good to get a sensing of its effectiveness over here. Not too concern about sample size lah haha.

Overseas road condition is different, so might not be so applicable.

The CPA+ is only active above 7kph. So if traffic jam and slow crawling traffic is not going to help you.

You must understand how the system works.

There is a single radar emitter and receiver device installed in your front bumper to help gauge the distance of your car from the car in front. So in a way it is quite "dumb" as it cannot differentiate the back of the car from a wall/barrier.

Since it is a single receiver system, it is only able to detect a cone area in front of your car. So if going round a very sharp bend  with high barriers/walls, the system will "think" that the obstacle detected is a vehicle and gave off the warning. But it should not be enough to brake autonomously. as it will be dangerous if it started braking while you are driving round a bend/curve.

I do get some very occasional random alert when there was no nearby vehicle or walls/barriers. I attribute it to some random road debris hitting the bumper at just the right spot sending a mini shockwave to the radar receiver behind mimicing an obstacle.

As to whether it is useful, a definite YES. Just drive as per normal. Don't rely on the system. But when it does help you, take it as a bonus. 

Wah your knowledge on the technology is really  :a-m1212: ! 佩服 佩服!

Thanks for the detail explanation.

Have tried the equivalent on Volvo (PA2) as well as BMW (DAP+). Personally, I find that DAP+ is more superior than PA2 in terms of recognizing objects in front and also the other aspect like semi-autonomous driving with the auto steering, reading of lane markings.

Nevertheless, IMO, they should be standard safety equipment for all cars just like a safety belt.

I read somewhere that this kind of safety feature would become a mandated requirements for cars to be sold on USA soil from certain year. That is why car makers like Toyota and Honda are rolling out their safety packages as standard on their new rides.

Great if same could be implemented here also..

• Praise 1

What I seek is real user experience/feeback, good to get a sensing of its effectiveness over here. Not too concern about sample size lah haha.

Overseas road condition is different, so might not be so applicable.

Wah your knowledge on the technology is really  :a-m1212: ! 佩服 佩服!

Thanks for the detail explanation.

I read somewhere that this kind of safety feature would become a mandated requirements for cars to be sold on USA soil from certain year. That is why car makers like Toyota and Honda are rolling out their safety packages as standard on their new rides.

We are worse than our Neighbour.  We don't have safety standards for all cars sold in Singapore.

That's why even airbag can be deleted.

Just to share this video about the CPA+ system on the B-class that was tested out few years back when the facelift was available. The Mercedes engineer mentioned that existing CPA+ cannot detect pedestrians, which can be possible only if the owners get the Intelligent Drive package that includes front sensing camera for the task.

We are worse than our Neighbour.  We don't have safety standards for all cars sold in Singapore.

That's why even airbag can be deleted.

Agree with you but I would think it is more of cost concerns. Our neighbour do not impose so much tax whereas over here the car importers try to lower the car cost by removing the optional items. I do not think the reason is because they are more concern about the safety of the people there haha.

If enough consumers gather to boycott cars that got only 2 airbags, then I am sure situation will change. But I do not think it will happen soon. Look at the might Altis that had been supported by the Toyota loyalist all these years, consistently being the number one volume seller in Singapore. This year it has been dethroned by lowly Elantra because Elantra are selling much cheaper due to VES haha. WE are very price-sensitive lah.

Edited by Heartlander
  • Praise 1

Agree with you but I would think it is more of cost concerns. Our neighbour do not impose so much tax whereas over here the car importers try to lower the car cost by removing the optional items. I do not think the reason is because they are more concern about the safety of the people there haha.

If enough consumers gather to boycott cars that got only 2 airbags, then I am sure situation will change. But I do not think it will happen soon. Look at the might Altis that had been supported by the Toyota loyalist all these years, consistently being the number one volume seller in Singapore. This year it has been dethroned by lowly Elantra because Elantra are selling much cheaper due to VES haha. WE are very price-sensitive lah.

This is 1 area where we need regulation. Unfortunately, NONE.

Even cheapest pickup truck in MY has 2 airbags

I like to point out with any system from any car manufacturer, even those that self proclaimed to be the safest in the world, also can fail epically. Nothing beats own judgement and careful driving.

*disclaimer: no dummies where used in this videoc :D

Just to share this video about the CPA+ system on the B-class that was tested out few years back when the facelift was available. The Mercedes engineer mentioned that existing CPA+ cannot detect pedestrians, which can be possible only if the owners get the Intelligent Drive package that includes front sensing camera for the task.

Edited by Vratenza

What the [jawdrop] !!

I like to point out with any system from any car manufacturer, even those that self proclaimed to be the safest in the world, also can fail epically. Nothing beats own judgement and careful driving.

• Praise 1

I read somewhere that the at Volvo actually did not come with that safety feature, causing the negative demo and the event to become a laughing stock. Btw this happened in 2015.

http://time.com/money/3896931/volvo-self-parking-accident/

Yes.....

This system is not able to detect pedestrians; the model in question lacked an optional $3,000 Pedestrian Detection system. But even if the vehicle had been equipped with a Pedestrian Detection system, the automaker says it still isn’t safe to deliberately drive into a group of people.

So, even the manufacturer also cannot be 100% sure that using live "life" demo is safe.

Again, point being, never be complacent with any artificial safety aids.

I read somewhere that the at Volvo actually did not come with that safety feature, causing the negative demo and the event to become a laughing stock. Btw this happened in 2015.

http://time.com/money/3896931/volvo-self-parking-accident/

I was told the same thing by Nissan SE just last month, not sure how true. She said it's going to be implemented in 2020, and as a result, all the major car manufacturers have started to include these in their cars that they want to sell into USA, so just sell the same car everywhere else (incl SG) too.

I was not aware of this technology until recently, then heard about the Toyota C-sense, Honda sensing, Subaru eyesight, etc. etc.

This is a useful thread, as i'm also curious to find out the similar features for other Jap/Korean brands, are good/useful or not?

Am considering Mit Eclipse Cross, which has it (Forward Collision Mitigation System) too.

In terms of reliability and testing, i wonder whether any manufacturer has ever dared to use 2 of their cars with this technology, let them be driven towards each other head-on, to see whether can really prevent collision or not [sweatdrop]

• Praise 1

Was posted before a few weeks back.

Point is, don't take these safety features for granted.

↡ Advertisement