RIP - Dawn Gan (颜黎明)

Carbon82

Xinyao singer Dawn Gan dies at the age of 55

colin-dg-22.jpg

SINGAPORE - Xinyao singer Dawn Gan has died at the age of 55 after a battle with cancer.

Gan was diagnosed with synovial sarcoma - a rare form of cancer which affects the soft tissue and usually occurs near the joints of the arm, neck or leg - in 2013. The following year, she was diagnosed with breast cancer.

The singer revealed in 2016 that she had five operations to remove tumours and a part of her lung.

Veteran xinyao singer and producer Billy Koh, in his 50s, confirmed the news of her death.

“I was in the same class with Dawn Gan in Secondary Two at River Valley High School,” he told The Straits Times.

“Dawn and I were xinyao pioneers in the early 80s,” he added.

Xinyao is a genre of local Mandarin folk-pop music popular in the 1980s and 1990s.

Xinyao concert organiser and founder of TCR Music Station Cai Yiren, 53, who has known Gan for over a decade, also said he heard about Gan's death from friends on Saturday (Sept 22).

He had received text messages - some informing him of the death, others asking him if the news was true - but has yet to be in touch with Gan's family.

Gan had been based in Hong Kong in recent years. She was married to a businessman, with whom she has three adult children.

Mr Cai, who has been organising the annual Xinyao Reunion Concert series since 2008, said that he approached Gan to appear at this year's Xinyao 36 Reunion Concert but she declined for health reasons.

This was the first time Gan had opted out of the concert, which she participated in despite her illness in previous years.

Gan's xinyao hits include Water Tales and Your Reflection, and she won fans with her bright pipes and personality. She was also known for Youth 1 2 3, the theme song for the Channel 8 show Happy Trio (1986).

Mr Cai said: "I invited her every year, this was the first year she could not come. She told us she had to rest."

"She was a nice, cheerful, loving person. We've sung xinyao together for so many years, it's quite sad to receive this news," he said.

Few of my favorite songs sung by her...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 16

Life is short, just enjoy life no regrets. Earn many money can't spend also useless. Just buy or use what ever within your limit to enjoy your life. Next life might not be that lucky.

• Praise 1

RIP .... cancer ... very scary

in today super advance medical technology ... still cannot overcome cancer [bigcry]

we need elysium tissue regeneration med bay!

Edited by Wt_know

on a side note, passed by the 4D shop and people were talking about her passing away news.

They mentioned about her combi numbers that was a red number and was already snapped up by many since last night.

singaporean uncle auntite.....haiz, mai kong, mai kong  <_<

RIP

I suppose what we can learn n do is to live life as normally n fully as possible, even during period of such disease. Witnessed a number of cancer cases, so far none managed to overcome

Edited by Fuelsaver
  • Praise 2

Life is short, just enjoy life no regrets. Earn many money can't spend also useless. Just buy or use what ever within your limit to enjoy your life. Next life might not be that lucky.

Money is not yours if it is not spent.

RIP .... cancer ... very scary

in today super advance medical technology ... still cannot overcome cancer [bigcry]

we need elysium tissue regeneration med bay!

A few of us posted in this thread http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2706657-nice-chinesecantoneseoldies-songsvideo-to-share/page-3?do=findComment&comment=6528259

Indeed, how come we often hear breakthrough in medical researches yet...

Drugs is a huge industry we know, but aren't lives more precious than anything else?

What define us is how we care for our own live and others, not by the house we live in or car we drive or watches or diamonds we have in possession.

Just a rant. Pardon me...