Who like dogs?

Discoburg

Always wanted to get a dog. Planning to get one this year (though spearheaded by my wife)

Waiting to see if my friend want to sell his newborn puppies.

you have to be very very committed.... as good as having another child or worse.... think once, think twice, think thrice.... 

oh and avoid females they have menses too

this coming from someone with a 10yr old labrador

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

I do agree that humans should think thrice before committing to a dog. They need attention and time as they are very different from cats.

you have to be very very committed.... as good as having another child or worse.... think once, think twice, think thrice.... 

Schnauzers are a very smart breed. They do not shed as well.

i used to want to own one of them. Very handsome dog.

• Praise 1

Honestly i thought i would get one when I'm retiring.

But my wife is the gian one.

It's ok lah. we stopping at 2. haha 2 kids one dog can lah.

yeah definitely no females.

wat u are refering to is local street cats.

local street dogs also quite maintenance free.

if u got a special breed cat esp with long fur ( oversea ),

the maintenance will be quite a sum also

as long as long fur (cat or dog), will need more maintenance. but easier for cats are they are smaller in build. don't know about dogs, but long hair cats are pretty easy to groom (brush, bath, dry, blowdry, clean ears, eyes, clip claws) within an hour. and cats seldom seldom smell. you can don't even bath them for 1 year and they still smell ok because they groom themselves constantly.

cats also don't need fancy hairdos compared to say for example a poodle. so overall, cats generally lesser maintenance required.

but if we love them and consider them part of the family, the maintenance part does not bother the owners lah.  [:p]

• Praise 1

Generally speaking, are male dogs more manja than female dogs? For cats, male are generally more manja.

top photo of the sisters: what breed is that?

sorry about the loss of your good pal. i understand your pain and the immense hole they create in our hearts when they leave us.

The top 2 sisters are both local street dogs adopted earlier this year from Exclusively Mongrels. Both were rescued from AVA. 

30742265_1875243252538265_8451050158694530762995_1875243262538264_38659739924016

I think manja is not really dependent on male or female. Case in point, the 2 sisters, one is much more manja than the other. And character also both almost opposite of each other. One is very timid, the other is very independent and outgoing. 

I kinda prefer female dogs. Less prone to marking and easier to pee pad train. Yes got periods but I will eventually send them for spaying. 

Male dogs if unsterilised the pee-ing sibeh sian. 

Edited by Mockngbrd

The top 2 sisters are both local street dogs adopted earlier this year from Exclusively Mongrels. Both were rescued from AVA. 

I think manja is not really dependent on male or female. Case in point, the 2 sisters, one is much more manja than the other. And character also both almost opposite of each other. One is very timid, the other is very independent and outgoing. 

I kinda prefer female dogs. Less prone to marking and easier to pee pad train. Yes got periods but I will eventually send them for spaying. 

Male dogs if unsterilised the pee-ing sibeh sian. 

learnt something new about male/female dogs. for cats, the manja-ness from male cats are more apparent than female cats.

the mongrel sisters are beautiful. lean and very alert. [thumbsup]  the white patch on top of the eyes make them look even more inquisitive.

• Praise 2

I got Treo is because i always wanted a dog since young but wasn't allowed to. My GF was also afraid of dogs and when she became my wife she suddenly find them cute. By then we just gotten married and got our own little nest. Immediately i drove her to Lor Halus and pet shops all around to look for that one. Last place i ended up is in Jalan Kayu and then Treo, a 2 month old puppy, stood there looking at me and i immediately know he is the one. 

I still remember back then i only prepared to pay $700 and he cost me $1.3K cause he is a black and silver breed. Had to drive to serangoon gardens to withdraw money and back to pay and collect him. The small Treo was sitting on the floor behind the counter waiting for us and that melted my heart again.

Back home i became the one who took care of him, played with him and also fed him. He became my BFF, that time @DACH wasn't around, and my baby. Spent a gold 1/3 of my life with me and had many many good memories of him. He went from sleeping in his playpen to sleeping in the kitchen. Then he progressed to sleeping in the living room then to our bedroom. Had to neuter him due to his undescended testicles and took care of him on my bed for 2-3 days. By then he had moved onto my bed for good. Also had to let him go through cataract op for both eyes with 2-3 years time. Really sadden us whenever he have to undergo the surgical blade.

So so so sad when he became ill in aug 2015 and we brought him to a vet. Did x-ray and vet suspected that he have cancer. Had to bring him back to the clinic weekly for x-rays for consecutive 4 weeks. Heart pain to do so but had no choice. In the end he refused to eat in Sept and we had decided to put him down as he was reduced to bones and that really saddens us. By then he also developed fits and can be in that state for hours and we had to stroke him and hoping it will calm him down. We procrastinated for a very long time  and the last straw was on the night of of 29 Nov. He had fits from 10pm till 6-7am the next day and we decided to let him go that day. Very sad that we did not do much for him on the last day that he was with us. That will probably haunt me for the rest of my life.

• Praise 4

as long as long fur (cat or dog), will need more maintenance. but easier for cats are they are smaller in build. don't know about dogs, but long hair cats are pretty easy to groom (brush, bath, dry, blowdry, clean ears, eyes, clip claws) within an hour. and cats seldom seldom smell. you can don't even bath them for 1 year and they still smell ok because they groom themselves constantly.

cats also don't need fancy hairdos compared to say for example a poodle. so overall, cats generally lesser maintenance required.

but if we love them and consider them part of the family, the maintenance part does not bother the owners lah.  [:p]

the smell part esp for cats i think depend alot on the cat is free roaming or not??.

my cats is free 1 , go any where she want in / out the house, we dun smell any thing.

but i go to some friends home, their breeded cat is keep purely indoor only, even i find the smell very strong for some 1 used to cat.

( different method of maintenance i think ??)

Honestly i thought i would get one when I'm retiring.

But my wife is the gian one.

It's ok lah. we stopping at 2. haha 2 kids one dog can lah.

yeah definitely no females.

small dog would be better suited unless you willing bring a large dog for walk everyday..... young fun.... it's when they get old... that's the troublesome part....

2 kids one dog still ok ... considering when your dog is old.. your kids also old enough help you take care of the dog....

Ah. So he has passed on. sorry to hear that.

U planning to get another dog? or forever Treo only.

I've wanted a dog since young, but since I'm busy at work, so feel bit irresponsible to get a dog just to neglect it.

But over last 2 years, cutting back and my kids getting older and require less care, my wife is stay home, so maybe it's time.

Also want my kids to have the joy of growing up with a pet, which i didn't have.

I got Treo is because i always wanted a dog since young but wasn't allowed to. My GF was also afraid of dogs and when she became my wife she suddenly find them cute. By then we just gotten married and got our own little nest. Immediately i drove her to Lor Halus and pet shops all around to look for that one. Last place i ended up is in Jalan Kayu and then Treo, a 2 month old puppy, stood there looking at me and i immediately know he is the one. 

I still remember back then i only prepared to pay $700 and he cost me $1.3K cause he is a black and silver breed. Had to drive to serangoon gardens to withdraw money and back to pay and collect him. The small Treo was sitting on the floor behind the counter waiting for us and that melted my heart again.

Back home i became the one who took care of him, played with him and also fed him. He became my BFF, that time @DACH wasn't around, and my baby. Spent a gold 1/3 of my life with me and had many many good memories of him. He went from sleeping in his playpen to sleeping in the kitchen. Then he progressed to sleeping in the living room then to our bedroom. Had to neuter him due to his undescended testicles and took care of him on my bed for 2-3 days. By then he had moved onto my bed for good. Also had to let him go through cataract op for both eyes with 2-3 years time. Really sadden us whenever he have to undergo the surgical blade.

So so so sad when he became ill in aug 2015 and we brought him to a vet. Did x-ray and vet suspected that he have cancer. Had to bring him back to the clinic weekly for x-rays for consecutive 4 weeks. Heart pain to do so but had no choice. In the end he refused to eat in Sept and we had decided to put him down as he was reduced to bones and that really saddens us. By then he also developed fits and can be in that state for hours and we had to stroke him and hoping it will calm him down. We procrastinated for a very long time  and the last straw was on the night of of 29 Nov. He had fits from 10pm till 6-7am the next day and we decided to let him go that day. Very sad that we did not do much for him on the last day that he was with us. That will probably haunt me for the rest of my life.

• Praise 1

how old was he?

So so so sad when he became ill in aug 2015 and we brought him to a vet. Did x-ray and vet suspected that he have cancer. Had to bring him back to the clinic weekly for x-rays for consecutive 4 weeks. Heart pain to do so but had no choice. In the end he refused to eat in Sept and we had decided to put him down as he was reduced to bones and that really saddens us. By then he also developed fits and can be in that state for hours and we had to stroke him and hoping it will calm him down. We procrastinated for a very long time and the last straw was on the night of of 29 Nov. He had fits from 10pm till 6-7am the next day and we decided to let him go that day. Very sad that we did not do much for him on the last day that he was with us. That will probably haunt me for the rest of my life.

Bro, you did more than enough. Treo wouldn’t choose another daddy even if that daddy came with 24/7 belly rubs and all the treats he could want.

Dogs are that special, they only have you in their hearts. Just being in the same room with him probably made his day.

I've wanted a dog since young, but since I'm busy at work, so feel bit irresponsible to get a dog just to neglect it.

But over last 2 years, cutting back and my kids getting older and require less care, my wife is stay home, so maybe it's time.

Also want my kids to have the joy of growing up with a pet, which i didn't have.

as long as your wife is willing to pick up shit and clean urine... should be good to go....

and for kids growing up with a pet.... i now have 1 dog, 3 x 6ft fish tank and a turtle tank with 2 turtles.... on top of the 3 monsters...  :lll._.:

Yes he have passed and i always wanted to get another but then we just can't do it. I really do miss a dog as we are both childless. The home got very quiet when Treo left us. His toys, chou chou (pillows) are still around, his photos are all around the house and his urn sits on my dining table. 

Especially my wife as she always feel that we no other furkid can replace Treo. Thats why Molly is not in my house.

Yes he have passed and i always wanted to get another but then we just can't do it. I really do miss a dog as we are both childless. The home got very quiet when Treo left us. His toys, chou chou (pillows) are still around, his photos are all around the house and his urn sits on my dining table. 

Especially my wife as she always feel that we no other furkid can replace Treo. Thats why Molly is not in my house.

Every morning i will sit on the floor and he hop on to my lap and he will get his massage and back scratches. Then when i stood up to change into work wear he will belly up for his belly scratches.

Really gets very emotional talking about him and i had been tearing non stop since i composed that long post of mine. I think my colleagues are thinking i am mad or lost all my money in the stock markets.

Bro, you did more than enough. Treo wouldn’t choose another daddy even if that daddy came with 24/7 belly rubs and all the treats he could want.

Dogs are that special, they only have you in their hearts. Just being in the same room with him probably made his day.

• Praise 1

as long as your wife is willing to pick up shit and clean urine... should be good to go....

and for kids growing up with a pet.... i now have 1 dog, 3 x 6ft fish tank and a turtle tank with 2 turtles.... on top of the 3 monsters...  

yeah depends on what u like lah. I am quite ok with fish but tell me maintain a tank ... ah nope.

bring walks, clean poop/urine etc i'm ok.

haha house a cat and i'm the chambermaid, no thanks  [:p]