• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
79 replies to this topic | 130 praises

Posted 29 September 2018 - 10:21 PM

therock
  • therock
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Dear friends

I have recently come into possession of some koi and large gold fish, and I am hoping to get some advice:

- how do I clean the tank?

- change the filter?

- anyone I can hire for some professional advice or is there a bro here who is an enthusiast who does not mind coming to have a look?

(will cook or provide super kopi and a big meal!)

Thanks bros

I have put aside some put in the balcony for this effort, this was something I did in my dad's old place and I am hoping to do something like that in future:

Some advice on some solar powered lights to accompany this will be much appreciated too, thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• Koi pond.jpeg

Tianmo, Staff69 and Beregond praised this

Posted 30 September 2018 - 07:00 PM

Kklim
  • Premium member
    Kklim
    6th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

- how do I clean the tank?
Buy algae eaters and nerite snails.

- change the filter?
Is the tank/pond is stable, just take some water from it, rinse the filter sponge and other filter media in it, and put them back. The bacteria living in the sponge will break down fish poop. Do not use tap water as the chlorine in it will kill the bacteria.

RH1667, therock and Kangadrool praised this

Posted 30 September 2018 - 09:08 PM

therock
  • therock
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Thanks v much bro.. I guess it may be the wrong place to ask such non car related questions, so any advice is much appreciated!

Posted 30 September 2018 - 11:49 PM

DACH
  • DACH
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

There is no wrong place to ask your questions.

Just need the right people to answer your questions. 

Dream car: Lamborghini Murcielago 6.2

Posted 01 October 2018 - 08:19 AM

UncleAtas
  • Premium member
    UncleAtas
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

I can hook you up with someone that can maintain the tank for you..

Usually quarterly..

Refer to signature guidelines

Posted 01 October 2018 - 08:58 AM

Adrianli
  • Premium member
    Adrianli
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Just buy a brand new dish cleaning scrotchbrite and scrub the sides monthly. Thatz what I do.

For the filter, there are two parts. Usually the primary filter that traps all the larger particles are throwaway soft cotton type. The secondary filter are those harder plastic mats/ceramic ring/bio balls, etc. These, no need to touch as good bacteria are already growing in it.

There are certainly companies out there doing aquarium maintenance. But will be costly. I usually do my own maintenance. So do not have any contacts.

Posted 01 October 2018 - 09:06 AM

Watwheels
  • Premium member
    Watwheels
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Just go to Qian Hu fish farm, the aquarium-accessories section and get assistance.

http://www.qianhufish.com/

Too much to think about...

Posted 01 October 2018 - 10:52 AM

grandis123
  • grandis123
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Koi can grow very big and needs a lot of space to swim. The Poos produced by them is humongous.

How big is your tank and how big is your filter? Filter the bigger the better.

I mostly DIY.

Posted 01 October 2018 - 11:27 AM

Staff69
  • Staff69
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I got tank cleaning service available

About 80 per month

9cL7PP.gif

You want sign 2 years contract with me πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Edited by Staff69, 01 October 2018 - 11:27 AM.

Ash2017 praised this
your social circles aren't wide enough if you think i am rich

Don't worry if plan A fails, there are 25 more letters in the alphabet.

Never let your friends get lonely... 🧐keep disturbing them.

Posted 01 October 2018 - 11:29 AM

Adrianli
  • Premium member
    Adrianli
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I got tank cleaning service available

About 80 per month

attachicon.gif9cL7PP.gif

You want sign 2 years contract with me πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

These suckers, initially when introduced to the tank/pond is good. But after sometime, they also go eat the fish food and no more algae cleaning liao.

Beregond praised this

Posted 01 October 2018 - 12:02 PM

Staff69
  • Staff69
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

These suckers, initially when introduced to the tank/pond is good. But after sometime, they also go eat the fish food and no more algae cleaning liao.

oh really....thanks for the info
your social circles aren't wide enough if you think i am rich

Don't worry if plan A fails, there are 25 more letters in the alphabet.

Never let your friends get lonely... 🧐keep disturbing them.

Posted 01 October 2018 - 01:26 PM

therock
  • therock
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Just buy a brand new dish cleaning scrotchbrite and scrub the sides monthly. Thatz what I do.

For the filter, there are two parts. Usually the primary filter that traps all the larger particles are throwaway soft cotton type. The secondary filter are those harder plastic mats/ceramic ring/bio balls, etc. These, no need to touch as good bacteria are already growing in it.

There are certainly companies out there doing aquarium maintenance. But will be costly. I usually do my own maintenance. So do not have any contacts.

Thanks bro, do you remove the fish when you scrub? 

If not, will the algae end up sticking onto the sides again?

Will do some work this week .... good exercise.. I recall the days when I went into the septic tank in Pasir Laba camp... that was truly smelly...

Posted 01 October 2018 - 01:51 PM

Adrianli
  • Premium member
    Adrianli
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Thanks bro, do you remove the fish when you scrub?
If not, will the algae end up sticking onto the sides again?

Will do some work this week .... good exercise.. I recall the days when I went into the septic tank in Pasir Laba camp... that was truly smelly...

No. Do not remove the fish. It will make them more stress. After cleaning, let the filter do the job. Then replace the filter media. Next do partial water change.

Thatz my standard monthly fish tank maintenance.
therock and Ash2017 praised this

Posted 01 October 2018 - 07:29 PM

therock
  • therock
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I found this in the filter tank, any idea what they are? 

There are also some flies? Around the pond, are they sandflies?

The fishes have taken well to the Hikari brand of fish feed :)

Attached Thumbnails

• chips in tank.jpeg

Edited by therock, 01 October 2018 - 07:30 PM.

Posted 01 October 2018 - 10:18 PM

Adrianli
  • Premium member
    Adrianli
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I found this in the filter tank, any idea what they are?

There are also some flies? Around the pond, are they sandflies?

The fishes have taken well to the Hikari brand of fish feed :)

These are probably the spacer so that the filter or filter basket is not seating at the bottom. There is a space between the bottom.

Posted 02 October 2018 - 02:29 PM

therock
  • therock
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Big big problem guys
I tried cleaning the pump and the entire system stopped working
If anyone knows to fix or clean the system please pm me soonest..
Fish in danger :(

Posted 02 October 2018 - 02:40 PM

Adrianli
  • Premium member
    Adrianli
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Big big problem guys
I tried cleaning the pump and the entire system stopped working
If anyone knows to fix or clean the system please pm me soonest..
Fish in danger :(

Quick go to a fish shop to buy a pump to move the water around. While u take ur time to make the filter work. Calculate the tank/pond size and get the appropriate size pump.

Posted 02 October 2018 - 02:42 PM

Si4dr
  • Premium member
    Si4dr
    6th Gear
    Author Image

I guess yours is pond than tank...

Can show your pond system setup? Easier to troubleshoot.

If you have air pump try using it to supply enough oxygen

Edited by Si4dr, 02 October 2018 - 02:44 PM.

Posted 02 October 2018 - 02:43 PM

Adrianli
  • Premium member
    Adrianli
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Not sure of your tank/pond size. I have a Eheim 2215 to loan u for the time being. Have filter medium inside, ready to plug and play. PM me if u need.
RH1667 praised this

Posted 02 October 2018 - 02:45 PM

therock
  • therock
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

It’s in the first post?
I think I moved something and the system stopped sucking?
The pump now pushes water instead of sucking into the black box..
Previously two outlets from the black box pour water into the pond
There’s some kind of suction in the middle of the pond.
It’s too murky to see now ..

Back to Men's Hobby  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Also tagged with these keywords: koi , fish , hobby , rearing , tank , pond , advice

Tags: koi, fish, hobby, rearing, tank and 2 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users