Rearing Fish or Koi - advice needed

therock

I added a UV filter, but it looks rather small for such a large pool.. I wonder if I should scrub and empty the pool

Dont need to scrub. UV light will help up.

What kind of filter are you using? How about the pond size and pump in turns of litre/hr?

Last year my pond was worse. Flooded with algae bloom. I added extra filter media also no used. Finally change the pump to increase the flow rate and also add water lettuce. Now the water is super clear.

Below I copy and paste from internet on water lettuce:

Pistia commonly known as water lettuce or water cabbage provides great cover for frys and control growth of algae. Water lettuce roots can be a source of food for fish to nibble on in case you forgot to feed the fish :)

↡ Advertisement

An update

I wanted to change water, and for some reason my pump leaked out water into the surroundings, so I actually drained out most of the algae water ha ha

Added a UV light, and switched on a second pump... let's see if things get better... cheers

Wow cool - how much you bought this? Where to get huh ~~~

Mine is not this model but similar. I bought from Chatuchak weekend market, Thailand. [:p]

Mine is those inline type with the filter.

aquarium-uv-sterilizer_3.jpg

Looks very nice

Does anyone know where to get this in SG?

How do you clean this? Where's the filter?

Looks very nice

Does anyone know where to get this in SG?

How do you clean this? Where's the filter?

The filter medium is in the rear. I never cleaned the UV glass. When I bought, the shop owner refuse to drop price. So I bargained until he throw in 2 sets of extra filter medium. [laugh] So I remove and clean the filter medium once a month during my monthly partial water change. Put in a clean set and wash the old set and put it under the sun.

The water flows from the filter medium to the uv light and then out so the UV light glass should be pretty clean.

i would advise against using the uv light posted by @adrianli for the reason below

https://www.asiaone.com/health/fish-lovers-beware-singapore-man-blinded-ponds-uv-lamp

if you want to use the uv light.. for tank can try what i am using, the uv portion is covered up but there is a very small hole at the bottom for you to check if it is working

https://www.amazon.com/SunSun-JUP-01-Sterilizer-Submersible-Filter/dp/B008ADUVWQ

for pond, can try this

http://www.eastoceansg.com/pond/filtration-uv/pond-filter.html

for algae bloom, my first suspect would always be overfeeding and/or large amount of detritus in filter or bottom of tank/pond especially those with substrate

stop feeding few days and WC to see if it helps

• Praise 1

Thanks bro, the filters look very interesting.

Will this version be enough for a 1.2 L by 0.8 Wby 0.6m D pond?

http://www.eastoceansg.com/pond/filtration-uv/pond-filter/jebao-cf10uv-pond-filter-with-uv.html

4 koi right now and they are happy..

i quite like Jebao filters... i using a 104 Jebao now...

rule of thumb would be the pump you use should be 5 x of water volume, best if 10x. but also depends how much vegetation / plants you have in the pond or how much stock you have in the pond

Also good if you can run 2 filters in case 1 spoil, the other can be back up

The UV light seems to have done the trick.

Emptying most of the green water also helped.

Fishes happy, owner gleeful and enjoying the sound and the sight of the fish. I think I won’t be greedy and add more yet.

Pond is in steady state now thanks bros :)

Think can put more fish inside.

Last time i use to buy at lim chu kang

Buy those lelong cheap 1

I think need more landscaping plants and rocks to hide the pond edges. Also probably stone footpath and a shady area for the fishes to hide from the sun and predators.

Maybe take photo and go to those landscaping shops for advice.

↡ Advertisement