Plasterboard walls for new flats ?

Ysc3

actually got pro and cons for me now that i know about and will be expecting this.

cons is i cannot anchor heavy things on the "wall".

pros is most probably i will knock down the plasterboard walls and install sliding doors between the bedrooms. 

From my friends, I think all new HBD have partition boards as walls.

partition boards are relatively soft. Knock your furniture on it, likely will have a hole.

Good thing is they can be easily tear down. You can run wires internally as well. If want wall mount TV, can partially tear down the wall, add in reinforcement and rebuild them.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Actually, I much prefer drywall cos it is easier to run concealed wiring and easy enough to patch it up, light weight, better finishes and can specify the level of sound proofing I want. One of the earliest condo to use all drywall for the internal partition is Bayshore Park built in the 80's. 

It is ppl's perception rather than reality. Drywall can hold weight if we specify or add reinforcement eg. plywood, etc it correctly.

There will be pro and cons whatever the building material is used. If ppl want to collect their flats earlier and don't to wait too long...I mean this is something you will have to accept. Anyway the construction materials I see is almost everything "hollow" to save on weight and cost.

Even your so call "solid wall" isn't that solid. Mostly hollowed out like this. That's why sometimes whatever your neighbour is doing you will hear it.

oonesplokk.jpg

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 3

Actually, I much prefer drywall cos it is easier to run concealed wiring and easy enough to patch it up, light weight, better finishes and can specify the level of sound proofing I want. One of the earliest condo to use all drywall for the internal partition is Bayshore Park built in the 80's. 

It is ppl's perception rather than reality. Drywall can hold weight if we specify or add reinforcement eg. plywood, etc it correctly.

same here. 

I build a pc of drywall in one of my old flats before, but didnt use good sound proofing for it, just the basic one. Construction was fast, not so messy and dirty, surface was flat so  wall papering it was good, painting was also easy.  wiring was hidden inside and rewiring was easy. 

I also heck down and rebuild a "solid" cement block wall in another old flat, took a longer time for the wall to dry, and poor workmanship resulted in a full crack line along the perimeter of the joints. 

This is really good information on drywall sound insulation, the next time I rebuild and renovate my place, I might just know down all the walls and replace with good sound proofing drywall.  ^_^  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 4

same here. 

I build a pc of drywall in one of my old flats before, but didnt use good sound proofing for it, just the basic one. Construction was fast, not so messy and dirty, surface was flat so  wall papering it was good, painting was also easy.  wiring was hidden inside and rewiring was easy. 

I also heck down and rebuild a "solid" cement block wall in another old flat, took a longer time for the wall to dry, and poor workmanship resulted in a full crack line along the perimeter of the joints. 

This is really good information on drywall sound insulation, the next time I rebuild and renovate my place, I might just know down all the walls and replace with good sound proofing drywall.  ^_^  [laugh]  [laugh]

This kinda of things must highlight to @discoburg...

Tiagong he moans loudly when high..They say one..

• Praise 3

From 2015 onwards, it become mandatory for non-landed residential unit (HDB flats inclusive) to have certain % of walls (typically non-structural inner wall) to use drywall system, for increasing productivity and sustainability (less reliance on sand and cement).

These requirement falls under BCA's Building Control (Buildability and Productivity) Regulations 2011. Refer to Schedule 2 for the mandatory building systems and standard components to be used.

And here are some info pertaining to the quality of drywall system (gypsum board). Sound insulation properties is heavily dependent on the type of material used, and can be further enhanced through the use of rockwool.

I believe the drive to rely on less sand (and corresponding cement) was due to a dispute with our neighbours many years ago who decided to suspend the sale of sand to Singapore to force us into submitting to their political will.

For the sake of our sovereignty, this move is something Singaporean should support.

Of course as pointed out by others, the new construction method is faster and meets the need of young couples who were grumbling about the long waiting time for a BTO in the old days.

Ai pi ai qi gor ai tua liap ni, difficult la.

• Praise 3

same here.

I build a pc of drywall in one of my old flats before, but didnt use good sound proofing for it, just the basic one. Construction was fast, not so messy and dirty, surface was flat so wall papering it was good, painting was also easy. wiring was hidden inside and rewiring was easy.

This is really good information on drywall sound insulation, the next time I rebuild and renovate my place, I might just know down all the walls and replace with good sound proofing drywall. ^_^[laugh][laugh]

Only hollow brick for me.

Only hollow brick for me.

old flats with bricks, the sound insulation already not so good already. Then hollow bricks and now plaster walls for bed rooms, how to get couples to make more babies? Want make babies must go overseas trips or at least book a decent hotel over the weekend..   lol...

Twincharged

same here. 

can we specify add-ons during purchase or must tear down and redo after collecting keys only ?

can we specify add-ons during purchase or must tear down and redo after collecting keys only ?

Sorry bro, this one I really got no answer for you, my last direct purchase from HDB was like 20 yrs ago. [:p]

However, given it is HDB, even if BTO i dont think they will accept your request unless the ass-ons were offered as part of the selection.

But check with the officer in charge, they may  have changed their attitude, I cannot promise.  

those walls I build were all resale flats.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Edited by Tianmo
  • Praise 1

What u want done will be specified when u go down to sign the documents for your purchase of flat (flooring/doors etc).

The standard layout (like internal walls) will be as per the floor plan u received when deciding to purchase.

Anyway very standard one lah, other than the above options.

Twincharged

What u want done will be specified when u go down to sign the documents for your purchase of flat (flooring/doors etc).

The standard layout (like internal walls) will be as per the floor plan u received when deciding to purchase.

Anyway very standard one lah, other than the above options.

I hope can get the Nov BTO in tampines ... then can have my first new flat experience also ...

last night during our weekly gathering, my uncle told us my cousin moving into her new BTO flat.

she got an installer to come to her flat to fix up the flat TV on the wall. however, when the installer came, he told her cannot .... and then he knocked on the "wall" and it turned out to be hollow !!

as such, he explained it will not be able to sustain the weight of the Tv over time.

in the end, he installed the bracket on the outlining solid wall instead of the partition inside the flat.

anyone else got new flats and the "walls" inside the house separating the bedrooms are plasterboard walls ?

My office partitions are also like that and i am able to install a 65" TV on it. 1 year already so far no problem.

• Praise 1

iirc BCA specifies that the drywall can handle up to 25kg load per point...

Somewhere I read it in their information brochure.

Wall mounted TVs won’t have issue.

• Praise 1

Nowadays Gypsum wall also have many type.

I saw a brand DuraLine. It’s is designed for high impact resistance wall systems. It’s light and when you knock on it, it feels solid too & should be able to bear weight.

last night during our weekly gathering, my uncle told us my cousin moving into her new BTO flat.

she got an installer to come to her flat to fix up the flat TV on the wall. however, when the installer came, he told her cannot .... and then he knocked on the "wall" and it turned out to be hollow !!

as such, he explained it will not be able to sustain the weight of the Tv over time.

in the end, he installed the bracket on the outlining solid wall instead of the partition inside the flat.

anyone else got new flats and the "walls" inside the house separating the bedrooms are plasterboard walls ?

my friend high end condo also the same  [lipsrsealed]

iirc BCA specifies that the drywall can handle up to 25kg load per point...

Somewhere I read it in their information brochure.

Wall mounted TVs wonât have issue.

Spec is one thing. Is the installer willing to install also. If the installer say.. Wait a min I'm not sure. I rather not try it then can get screwed later on.

Twincharged

Spec is one thing. Is the installer willing to install also. If the installer say.. Wait a min I'm not sure. I rather not try it then can get screwed later on.

This I agree... Better safe than sorry. Dun later pay already then regret.