How much are you losing for new cars

Wpower

Turbocharged

Found and changed the car he wanted ... [sly]

Must ask him "did he made profit or deficit" and if lost, how much ? :wut:

@radx bought porsche n made $$$. So moral of the story, buy porsche :D
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Actually this calls to mind a discussion I had with someone a little while ago, about when is the 'best' time to sell a car bought first hand. By 'best' I am referring to suffer the least amount of depreciation loss.

Is it before the 5-year mark, before the end of 9 years (ie. before entering into the 10th year), or drive all the way until the full 10 years?

Of course, I understand that there are variables such as maintenance and repair cost, I am just asking about depreciation. 

You can use the car loan calculator to check.

In addition, he bought C and ran it left, right and centre for 180 days and sold it for same price (those days he used to keep cars for few days or hours only). Not all can be RadX, he is special.

• Praise 2

Just to share not every new car sold after a year will lose big big.

My Vellfire used after 1 year 1 month only loses 8% of purchase price despite the COE being much lower now at 30k compare to 50k when bought the car. Reason being that there is demand for my ride, being a Vellfire, to be used for limousine fleet. I was approached by 2 different used car dealers who offered much higher quoting same reason. And best is both are not particular with car condition, and want to respray it to black colour. But other than these 2 offers, the rest of offers are really laosai prices, about 20% lower from my purchase price, which I believe is the norm. 

Frankly I had not really harboured hope for the final price I got as it was quite impossible  at current market. I had also benefitted once with a ride with very low COE that I could sell it after 3 years at very close to original purchase price when COE shot up by 30k, and now is reverse. So my luck had been good haha as I always say - never say never because you never know. 

Edited by Heartlander

just wondering how much are you losing if you ditch the car after 1/2 year?

Dont bully people la..........

I presume you bought a new car and don't like it after a few months

be prepared to lose about 20% for conti cars and about 15% for jap cars

less than that, no one interested, as the savings must be attractive

and also factor in half year ago, COE was higher. the discount is from today car price

What kinda ppl will ask this kinda question, I wonder? [rolleyes]

- fickleminded ppl

- ppl with buyers remorse

- clueless 1st time owners

- Lion City Rentals manager

[:p]

Edited by yishunite
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

What kinda ppl will ask this kinda question, I wonder? [rolleyes]

Don't like that la.. maybe he may have lost his job in unforeseen circumstances?

I nearly have to go thru that situation.. and yes, it may actually be better to ditch the car than be straddled

• Praise 2

He brought meh .... :blink:

Thought majorities were his parting gifts from all his ex ... [lipsrsealed]

He the "yen tao" kia   [cool]  with many sugar [gorgeous] ....... [rolleyes]

Edited by Picnic06-Biante15

I believe this is a legitimate question.

Maybe by PHV rental company accountant

in case CEO ask him this question.

:D

• Praise 5

If you bought the car during the CEVS scheme and your car enjoyed a rebate, you are screwed.

My Fit ARF is only 5k.

I am practically stuck.

Depends on whether rebate is included in sales price.

I believe this is a legitimate question.

Maybe by PHV rental company accountant

in case CEO ask him this question.

:D

Thought its your MIL who wants to change car and post in MCF ... :slow:

She scare you scold her for losing money by selling your gift of a brand new car on her birthday.    :we-all-gonna-die:

• Praise 2

What car are you talking? Within a year, a harrier can lose 30k and an A8 can lose 90k

Actually this calls to mind a discussion I had with someone a little while ago, about when is the 'best' time to sell a car bought first hand. By 'best' I am referring to suffer the least amount of depreciation loss.

Is it before the 5-year mark, before the end of 9 years (ie. before entering into the 10th year), or drive all the way until the full 10 years?

Of course, I understand that there are variables such as maintenance and repair cost, I am just asking about depreciation.

Best will be drive till scrap, you dont lose more than the depreciation when you bought new.

But as a normal human, its an impossible task for me haha

What car are you talking? Within a year, a harrier can lose 30k and an A8 can lose 90k

Best will be drive till scrap, you dont lose more than the depreciation when you bought new.

But as a normal human, its an impossible task for me haha

I bought Honda Accord CL7 as new 12 years ago. 

2 years ago, extended COE S$57K for another 10 years. Then respray it.

Now loan free, and can drive for another 8 more years.

Sibei song, right?

• Praise 2

About 30-40% of your car value. I take reference from my hyundai accent cos I asked at a showroom at Honda. My car is 1.5 years old.

This is the maximum you will lose ( in theory) regardless of coe price cos it's slightly more than scrap value.

Of cos cars that are sold at higher premiums might have different losses. For my car, the coe premium was 60% of price of car.

• Praise 1

A figure that seems to stuck in my head is 50% loss for 3 year old car nowadays, both my personal encounter and what I heard got colleagues/friends/relatives/online.

A figure that seems to stuck in my head is 50% loss for 3 year old car nowadays, both my personal encounter and what I heard got colleagues/friends/relatives/online.

Why may be the reason why MAS impose a 30 to 40% down for the car purchase. This somehow protect the economy.
↡ Advertisement