2019 3rd Generation Mercedes-Benz B-Class (W247)

Carbon82

It seems when the MBUX interior based platform is gradually rolled out to all the subsequent Mercedes models(starting with A class last year, this year B class, etc), the OMV is markedly higher compared to the old models.

Thus, assuming constant COE, the retail prices of the Mercedes new models seem to be significantly higher(at least to me) than the old.  [sweatdrop] 

↡ Advertisement

Saw it at Vivo today, was quoted $178,888 for B200.

Back seat cushion is softer, auto tailgate, nice day running light, tail light also looks better.

Same price as listed in sgcarmart then. 

With that money can get 2 of 3 years old current generation B180. Not worth it for now to upgrade.

It seems when the MBUX interior based platform is gradually rolled out to all the subsequent Mercedes models(starting with A class last year, this year B class, etc), the OMV is markedly higher compared to the old models.

Thus, assuming constant COE, the retail prices of the Mercedes new models seem to be significantly higher(at least to me) than the old. [sweatdrop]

CnC used to sell MB with quite bare features as their standard cars. However, as more Japanese and Korean cars are sold with features like keyless, blind spot and others, CnC is forced to change the way they sell MB.

Keyless Go used to be an option in standard MB unless you buy the higher engine capacity car, same goes to other options.

With these “used to be options” feature added to standard cars, the OMV naturally rises. This makes the car cost more to start with. The B-class only comes in B200 for CnC, 18” wheels, 2 front memory seats and so many options added. This car is now no more the “cost less” car to buy.

Still, I would love to have one.

The new B 200 has a ton of gear, if you are into features, you won't be disappointed. Two things that stand out apart from the fancy screen:

- the tailgate is finally motorised

- the bonnet lid has a gas strut

Previously the cost cutting was embarrassing. Even cars half it's price had them.

It's still made in Germany, which can't be said for all modern Mercs. You get 5k of service credits, and you get a Renault engine. Don't let the sales rep tell you different. 
It's a VES B category, and the price is pretty close to what you pay for a C 180.

So space vs ? higher class? 

YMMV as always.. 

The new B 200 has a ton of gear, if you are into features, you won't be disappointed. Two things that stand out apart from the fancy screen:

Previously the cost cutting was embarrassing. Even cars half it's price had them.

It's still made in Germany, which can't be said for all modern Mercs. You get 5k of service credits, and you get a Renault engine. Don't let the sales rep tell you different. 

It's a VES B category, and the price is pretty close to what you pay for a C 180.

YMMV as always.. 

I would like to point out the obvious, that this car will be squrely in cat B COE category across all its variants unlike the last generation that has B180 under 130bhp thus in cat A while B200 and above in cat B. This is significant in current COE climate as the price difference between cat A and cat B is now $15k which is no small change. So if want to get, make no sense to buy the B180 variant any more.

Just personal, I will be worrying about the LCD displays if I am to upgrade to this car. At 4 year old, my B180 already occasionally experiencing entre display black out when doing reversing driving. My wife also gave same observation on hers. I do not think the technology has improved so much so long term reliability will be something that will have to weigh carefully. I will just wait and see for now.

Supersonic
(edited)

Saw it at Vivo today, was quoted $178,888 for B200.

Back seat cushion is softer, auto tailgate, nice day running light, tail light also looks better.

Wow B200 also 178k, wonder if there will be demand in SGP. But this is by far the best dynamic looking B Class I have even seen. Edited by Ct3833

Twincharged

Wow B200 also 178k, wonder if there will be demand in SGP.

$178k is a crazy price. Only thing going for it is the MBUX. Sucky Renault engine will be the downfall. Hopefully it won’t kill the model like the prince engine did to the mini. Like I have said before the only thing good from the French automotive sector is Michelin. Everything else sucks.
  • Praise 1

That screen isn’t tiltable so if you are very tall, make sure you can see it well.

I prefer the analogue dials but considering that Audi fans pay a lot for their virtual cockpits, I guess someone likes them.

YMMV

YMMV as always.. 

correct me if i am wrong, but the latest B class (from cycle) dont even have Lane Assist & Blind Spot as standard features.

When many Third tier Conti, JDM, KDM B&B cars give as standard.

That screen isn’t tiltable so if you are very tall, make sure you can see it well.

I prefer the analogue dials but considering that Audi fans pay a lot for their virtual cockpits, I guess someone likes them.

YMMV

think for Audi A4 - and higher spec cars - VC are standard issue liao

the lowest entry / specs car may not be. 

(edited)

$178k is a crazy price. Only thing going for it is the MBUX. Sucky Renault engine will be the downfall. Hopefully it won’t kill the model like the prince engine did to the mini. Like I have said before the only thing good from the French automotive sector is Michelin. Everything else sucks.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/27/fiat-chrysler-submits-proposal-for-a-merger-with-renault.html

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/may/27/fiat-chrysler-proposes-merger-with-renault-to-reshape-car-industry

Fiat Chrysler proposes €33bn merger with Renault

if the above news really happen, there is a very good chance that Mercedes will be using Fiat engine, gearbox, or whatever .... for future Mercedes models

not sure which is worse, Renault or Fiat engines for Mercedes

Edited by TeamAMG69

Twincharged

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/27/fiat-chrysler-submits-proposal-for-a-merger-with-renault.html

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/may/27/fiat-chrysler-proposes-merger-with-renault-to-reshape-car-industry

Fiat Chrysler proposes â¬33bn merger with Renault

if the above news really happen, there is a very good chance that Mercedes will be using Fiat engine, gearbox, or whatever .... for future Mercedes models

not sure which is worse, Renault or Fiat engines for Mercedes

Italians are still better. At least even if crappy, the engines have more flair. Hahhaha.

Taking into perspective some mid-range well-known Jap/Korean family cars(e.g. Honda Civic/Kia Cerato) are currently priced around $80-90k. Of course, you dun get the brand, the prestige, the fanciful interior. But I think the price is too high if one were to just use the car for personal/family use. All these money just for 10 years of usage. I think it's akin to spending $1 million on a HDB flat(i.e. want vs need) ... or perhaps just YOLO !   [nod] 

If the current CatB $40k+ COE were to move up further, it wld be even more expensive ! [:(]

Neutral Newbie

Just dropped by C&C last weekend. B200 sellable for 172888 with 5000 discount & 5000 credits. When asked how many sold so far during Vivo event till now, SA skipper the answer hence quite sure the take up rate n response are muted for the new B200.

↡ Advertisement