Regardless of Class

Wind30

Turbocharged

I was reading this article which is quite interesting. 

There was this survey done and the respondents were asked to rank the three most important things for a person to get out of poverty trap from the third most important to the most important

1. most important

3 third most important

The choices were

a. Education

b. Ability 

c. the people you know

d Hard work

e Luck

What is your answer? The answer you choose say something about you...

Mine is

1. Ability

2. Education

3. Hard work

Edited by Wind30
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

My thought is as follow:

a. Education

b. Ability 

c. the people you know

One needs education to learn to be smarter, to be  analytical and able to solve problems.  One who is smart but not educated, will probably takes a longer route to success.  Some will quote Jack Ma and bill gate but those are exceptions. they do not represent the norm. 

Ability is also important. if one does not have the ability, even if he has luck, his luck wont last forever. He can work very hard, there wont be result if he is stupid. 

Third is in the real world, one needs to know who to know and who knows you. It  boils down to networking with the right people,  having the right people to give you opportunities.

Hardwork is useless if one is not capable.  And if depending on luck, one might as well buy toto and 4D. 

Edited by Ct3833

It's the same question every individual of every generation face.

Not everyone can excel in education. Hence the next sensible thing to do is to learn a skill or two. I mean just like teaching a person how to fish or hunt so that he/she doesn't starve.

you forget one important Asian value...

Thrift, in chinese they say 小富由俭,大富由天。

I think 天 can sum up your luck, meeting the right people, having a good boss.

But agree ability and education still most important, then to keep away from poverty again, know how to giam and save will help. If not you will spend everything you make.

• Praise 7

you forget one important Asian value...

Thrift, in chinese they say 小富由俭,大富由天。

I think 天 can sum up your luck, meeting the right people, having a good boss.

But agree ability and education still most important, then to keep away from poverty again, know how to giam and save will help. If not you will spend everything you make.

Must also know how to por aka Paul Lampard. [laugh]

That's how you can "create" the "having a good boss".

Edited by Watwheels

1. Ability

2. Hard work

3. LUCK ... then back to 1>2

we all like to put Education as first because our day to day experience is good education can find good pay job

if you have msia relative and know people in taiwan, china, etc

a lot of them have low education and many i know are millionaires!

they have ability > hard work > LUCK

without LUCK can works until cows come home only achieve mediocre .... hehe

i know a few relatives in msia definitely millionaires ...

got rear fish one ... got sell bah kut teh one ... got orchard one in cameron highland

Edited by Wt_know

It's the people around you period.

If u have dysfunctional, or single parent with your parent having to work all the time to survive and not be a parent, u really think it's due to our own hard work, ability, talent?

Get real.

To me, it's luck. u can be born poor, but if your family structure is supportive, u have a better chance of making it out. If you don't have the support around you when you are 2-4/5 years old, u are just screwed.

Humans want to think it's always about them, i had the ability, i had the will, i had the talent.  No. it's cos the people around you provided you the opportunity.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 14

fully agreed .. the people around you

and also must have LUCK

with a lucky star .... ability+hardwork will pay off [thumbsup]

If u have dysfunctional, or single parent with your parent having to work all the time to survive and not be a parent, u really think it's due to our own hard work, ability, talent?

Get real.

To me, it's luck. u can be born poor, but if your family structure is supportive, u have a better chance of making it out. If you don't have the support around you when you are 2-4/5 years old, u are just screwed.

Humans want to think it's always about them, i had the ability, i had the will, i had the talent. No. it's cos the people around you provided you the opportunity.

• Praise 1

Get real.

Humans want to think it's always about them, i had the ability, i had the will, i had the talent. No. it's cos the people around you provided you the opportunity.

not talking about making big, as long as you have proper education and ability, you will not be poor even without any network or connection.
  • Praise 1

fully agreed .. the people around you

and also must have LUCK

with a lucky star .... ability+hardwork will pay off [thumbsup]

I can't help but agree with you.

I've seen people who are smart, worked hard but have NO LUCK. 

The element of luck plays an important part but then again it has to be complement with ability and hard work.

• Praise 3

1. study mcf property thread every day

2. study mcf stock market thread every day

3. shout huat every day

:D 

• Praise 1
  • Dislike 1

Wtf...ppl are talking about striking it rich. LoL...

I thought getting out of poverty means becoming somewhat like financially independent, not depending on charity or govt aid.

Must we go so far? Simi sai mirrionaire. Just get out of poverty nia.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 2

my former boss jiak kentang type ... he no believe in luck

he always scold us ... dont blame on luck or no opportunity when things does not work your way

make your opportunity ... and yes ... he is damn solid ...

no need rocket scientist to guess how well he did and achieve in life [thumbsup]

may be he got damn tok kong LUCK ... but he did not recognise it ... lol

I can't help but agree with you.

I've seen people who are smart, worked hard but have NO LUCK.

The element of luck plays an important part but then again it has to be complement with ability and hard work.

Edited by Wt_know

not talking about making big, as long as you have proper education and ability, you will not be poor even without any network or connection.

If say u have useless bum parents, u may have the best educational system, but if your teacher/aunt/uncle don't make the extra effort to ask u come to school, stay out of the streets when you should be studying, if u don't have ONE person looking out for you, u think you will come good?

I can just say the statistical chance of that happening is just low.

It's really the relationship with the people around you that ground you.

If u have poor parenting around u when u were 2-4/5 years old, your future cognitive ability is already severely hampered. can be down right as bad making you from average into borderline/lowish IQ.

If no luck, how to be borned and raised in a reasonable environment? If really no luck, KNN become child labour and sold away as slave, how to come out from poverty. Can escape can steal laugh already men...

This question is like the GP class in my JC days. Teacher asked Health or Wealth more important. Most will say Health, but I say Wealth. At least with Wealth you can solve some of your health problems. Not that people are immune from health problems, 100% of people will face health problems at certain time of their life. At least got $$$ got chance to nurse back. KNN no $$$ nurse simi LJ?

Edited by Kangadrool
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1