BMW ///M2 Competition

Mockngbrd

tested the current M2 with DCT......fun beast of a car, but not for daily commute. Good for the weekend/up North jaunts or trackdays.

I guess that is the same story for all purebred Ms....

I shudder to think how much more uncomfortable the competition bring to the M2.

Read that it is going to be a more expensive replacement model instead of a separate concurrent offering.

The outgoing M2 model is not worth buying, IMO.

It uses "only" the N55 engine.

The N series engines are shared directly with non-M ("ordinary") BMWs.

Proper M cars should use the S series engines, which are reserved for M cars.

The N55 engine basically derives from the M135i, which is considered only an M performance car, not a full-fat M car.

So, while the chassis of the M2 is sweet, its beating heart is nothing special.

In fact, the M135i is an old model. It has been replaced by the M140i (my current car - I also owned the M135i before). The newer M140i uses a B58 engine, which is quite an improvement over the outgoing N55 engine, with even better usable torque for daily driving. Because of the engine advantage, the M140i has actually come out quicker in quite a few independent straight line head-to-head drags against the M2. Handling-wise, there is obviously no contest (the M140i lacks even an LSD) but there is the undeniable practicality advantage of the M140i to contend with as well.

There have only been two M cars in the modern era to eschew S series engines. Those are the 1M and the (outgoing) M2. Between these two, the 1M still felt more special to me - it was something of a shake-up in the M car line-up, because it broke the spell of fat cats that had been rolling out of the M factory. The fact that the 1M came only in a manual also made it a real purist car. And those days, the manual was also the non idiot-proof type that didn't rev match for the driver by default. The manual in the M2 has been sullied by modern tech, in my opinion - and the most common transmission option is still the 7 speed DCT. So the 1M, with its N54 engine, still garners more of my respect than the outgoing M2 with its N55 engine.

Now, on to the new M2 competition. This will be the absolute perfect M car in my opinion. It will have the sweet chassis and short wheelbase the M2 has always had. It's going to have a better suspension than the outgoing M2. And best of all, it'll have a proper M engine - the S55 engine from the F80 M3. Forget the state of tune - it can always be dialed up by inexpensive aftermarket tunes and piggybacks.

So... a proper beating heart in an even more agile body. The M2 competition will be an amazing car, and the first time the model has become a proper M car, in my view. In fact, I would take it over the M3/M4. The M5 serves different needs (practicality and brute power) so it's not strictly comparable. And, to be honest, I still can't figure out what the M6 is actually good for, other than its supposed sexy looks (at which it seems to fail quite miserably - again, only my opinion).

TL;DR: The M2 comp is gonna be an awesome, *proper* M car.

• Praise 12

Good review (as usual). M2 was in my list last last year but dropped it subsequently. M2C would have been my choice if it was there.

6 is spoiled brat now. Used to sexier.

The N55 engine basically derives from the M135i, which is considered only an M performance car, not a full-fat M car.

In fact, the M135i is an old model. It has been replaced by the M140i (my current car - I also owned the M135i before). The newer M140i uses a B58 engine, which is quite an improvement over the outgoing N55 engine, with even better usable torque for daily driving. Because of the engine advantage, the M140i has actually come out quicker in quite a few independent straight line head-to-head drags against the M2. Handling-wise, there is obviously no contest (the M140i lacks even an LSD) but there is the undeniable practicality advantage of the M140i to contend with as well.

There have only been two M cars in the modern era to eschew S series engines. Those are the 1M and the (outgoing) M2. Between these two, the 1M still felt more special to me - it was something of a shake-up in the M car line-up, because it broke the spell of fat cats that had been rolling out of the M factory. The fact that the 1M came only in a manual also made it a real purist car. And those days, the manual was also the non idiot-proof type that didn't rev match for the driver by default. The manual in the M2 has been sullied by modern tech, in my opinion - and the most common transmission option is still the 7 speed DCT. So the 1M, with its N54 engine, still garners more of my respect than the outgoing M2 with its N55 engine.

Now, on to the new M2 competition. This will be the absolute perfect M car in my opinion. It will have the sweet chassis and short wheelbase the M2 has always had. It's going to have a better suspension than the outgoing M2. And best of all, it'll have a proper M engine - the S55 engine from the F80 M3. Forget the state of tune - it can always be dialed up by inexpensive aftermarket tunes and piggybacks.

So... a proper beating heart in an even more agile body. The M2 competition will be an amazing car, and the first time the model has become a proper M car, in my view. In fact, I would take it over the M3/M4. The M5 serves different needs (practicality and brute power) so it's not strictly comparable. And, to be honest, I still can't figure out what the M6 is actually good for, other than its supposed sexy looks (at which it seems to fail quite miserably - again, only my opinion).

• Praise 3

Best review and assessment is given below. No way to better/improve upon it. So I shaddup and quote. [nod]

• Praise 2

(edited)

Hopefully run-of-the-mill used M2 values will cheebaboooo and become the 996 of M-cars :P

I don't care ppl say is not "real" M-car. I LIKE!

Edited by Mockngbrd

same......been eyeing a few. Waiting for price to dropppp then hoot

Got the F90 M5 at home right now, to play with for a few days. Quite nice I must say. Feel tempted to get back into the M family.
  • Praise 1

Got the F90 M5 at home right now, to play with for a few days. Quite nice I must say. Feel tempted to get back into the M family.

Beast!

Tested the alpina last fri and much more palatable

But for raw gimme the m5

Beast!

Tested the alpina last fri and much more palatable

But for raw gimme the m5

Which Alpina? I've driven a few models, and written a long ass review of the B7 here.

Too soft lah. :D

Which Alpina? I've driven a few models, and written a long ass review of the B7 here.

Too soft lah. :D

For your ginomous monstrosity of a body, ONLY b7 suits u

Hahahahahha

B5 la.

Agree... soft...gd for daily drive tho

For your ginomous monstrosity of a body, ONLY b7 suits u

Hahahahahha

B5 la.

Agree... soft...gd for daily drive tho

Consider that I put the borrowed M5 in Sport plus for daily drive. Engine only at the moment cos my back is shot. :D

My Mclaren gets Track for Powertrain and Sport for handling. For daily drive, after warm up.

Like Jeremy Clarkson I need MOAR POWAAAAHHH!!! [laugh]

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 1

by piggy back, the burger motor sports with the mist injection seems good value for money