BM now accepts PI Toyotas for servicing and repair

Raubern

In an unprecedented move, Toyota agent Borneo Motors is opening its workshops to parallel imports, bucking a long-standing practice among authorised agents to shun cars not sold by them.

For a registration fee of $550, which can be used to offset servicing cost, owners of parallel-imported Toyotas can make use of two Borneo aftersales facilities in the west.

Will other ADs do the same?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 8

No problem for toyota, they probably have excess capacity so glad to take in PI cars to maximize productivity of their workshops. Whether PI cars get same priority as AD cars is unknown, but likely doesn't matter.

In short, be prepared for longer queues for Toyota servicing!

• Praise 3

I dunno if you guys notice. People sent to BM workshop for service it becos of the warranty and free servicing.

Once over, people dunno zao until where. It's not really cheap to service your car at BM.

BM is smart to expand their mkt to target PI owners cos cfm gt some PI owners prefer PI option with BM servicing. Or PI owners with problems that outside workshop can't solve.

• Praise 4

Borneo Business not enough....Open to P.I. to earn more....Well,C&C also Open to P.I. Mercedes Benz,but their Fees not so cheap.

• Praise 1

the problem is WARRANTY claim and break-fix

toyota servicing ... aka oil change nia

any ah beng ah seng shop can do a better job when you stand next to your car ... lol

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 3

Probably the new law of allowing AD cars to have the option of using outside workshops for servicing is affecting BM too?

• Praise 3

No problem for toyota, they probably have excess capacity so glad to take in PI cars to maximize productivity of their workshops. Whether PI cars get same priority as AD cars is unknown, but likely doesn't matter.

In short, be prepared for longer queues for Toyota servicing!

Not many people would actually send their car to BM for servicing after warranty period is over,  I think small % of course i could be wrong,  letting alone those who bought from PI, they would probably use outside workshop happily . If it is a simple problem, I dont think they will go back to BM workshop unless a more complex problem.  so while there is upside for their workshop, it is very limited..

From business model point of view, i am puzzled why the move.  They are making huge profit dollar from every car sold, so they should try to protect the dealership(AD) business to try to push as many car on the road as possible . instead now they are  telling the PI world that please no worry, just buy from PI and BM would  assure you for repair and recall. This is a strange strategy, unless the sales and service are run by different line of business and each trying to maximise their own interest.  Maybe someone can shed some lights ?

Borneo Business not enough....Open to P.I. to earn more....Well,C&C also Open to P.I. Mercedes Benz,but their Fees not so cheap.

C&C message is different, they are telling those who buy from PI that they will get hell if they ever send their car in. But BM is telling people, please buy from PI and I welcome and  we embrace you. 

Not many people would actually send their car to BM for servicing after warranty period is over, I think small % of course i could be wrong, letting alone those who bought from PI, they would probably use outside workshop happily . If it is a simple problem, I dont think they will go back to BM workshop unless a more complex problem. so while there is upside for their workshop, it is very limited..

From business model point of view, i am puzzled why the move. They are making huge profit dollar from every car sold, so they should try to protect the dealership(AD) business to try to push as many car on the road as possible . instead now they are telling the PI world that please no worry, just buy from PI and BM would assure you for repair and recall. This is a strange strategy, unless the sales and service are run by different line of business and each trying to maximise their own interest. Maybe someone can shed some lights ?

C&C message is different, they are telling those who buy from PI that they will get hell if they ever send their car in. But BM is telling people, please buy from PI and I welcome and we embrace you.

i might be wrong but if we segregate borneo from Toyota than it would make sense. borneo just a commercial entity where toyota a global brand.

pressure from toyota inc?

• Praise 1

l wouldn't wanna go back to a AD for servicing unless its for warranty purpose. No point paying so much and taking up so much time to collect back the ride.

• Praise 1

You must see what kinda ppl buy Toyotas from PIs.

If they hiam BM expensive and charging premium for their cars you think they will go to BM for servicing?

They will probably one year service their car one time and do it at the cheapest place they can find.

You guys must be kidding.

• Praise 3

Most workshops are very well versed with Toyota cars and they charge quite reasonable rates (at least half of BM's servicing centre). For BM to compete, it needs to offer something unique.

You must see what kinda ppl buy Toyotas from PIs.

If they hiam BM expensive and charging premium for their cars you think they will go to BM for servicing?

They will probably one year service their car one time and do it at the cheapest place they can find.

You guys must be kidding.

Not exactly accurate.

Previously some models (such as Harrier, Vellfire, etc) can only be bought through PI. Hence those who desire such cars have no choice but to get through PI.

Now that BM is officially bringing these models in, AND allowing such owners to bring their PI models in for servicing; who knows? It might just entice some of these owners into changing their cars for official BM models.

What was not mentioned was whether the registration cost includes coverage for factory warranty, if any in the first place.

IMHO,  this upfront fee is just one of the few ways to  lock-in customers and $.   

Other ADs have similar like service credits or annual servicing package. 

Turbocharged

APPLICATION FOR REGISTRATION OF GREY IMPORT / PARALLEL IMPORTED TOYOTA

A one-time Registration fee of $588.50 (inclusive of GST) applies to join our servicing network. 

Included in the registration fee:
a) 1 x complimentary vehicle health check
b) 1 x standard servicing package# redeemable within 12 months from date of application only at Pandan Toyota Service Centre or Bukit Batok Toyota Service Centre.
c) We will notify you based on your preferred mode of contact if your vehicle is affected under any safety recall issued by the manufacturer of your vehicle.
d) In the event you decide to sell your car, you’re entitled to a certificate of assurance if you have serviced your vehicle with us for two consecutive years according to the recommended service interval. T&Cs apply.
#Appointments must be made through our Customer Relations at 6631 1188.

I think the main point behind that premium article is about recall. BM will help to repair any Toyota PI car if they were recall n if you sign up for this

IF LTA forces all ADs to do recall repair for the brands under them be it sold by them or PI for free, might as well charge them $600 "adoption fee"  masquerading as a fee to "join the servicing network".

In actual fact, maybe PI Toyota owners might want to check if they get to be recalled and repair for free even if they don't pay this protection money? :D

APPLICATION FOR REGISTRATION OF GREY IMPORT / PARALLEL IMPORTED TOYOTA

A one-time Registration fee of $588.50 (inclusive of GST) applies to join our servicing network. 

Included in the registration fee:
a) 1 x complimentary vehicle health check
b) 1 x standard servicing package# redeemable within 12 months from date of application only at Pandan Toyota Service Centre or Bukit Batok Toyota Service Centre.
c) We will notify you based on your preferred mode of contact if your vehicle is affected under any safety recall issued by the manufacturer of your vehicle.
d) In the event you decide to sell your car, you’re entitled to a certificate of assurance if you have serviced your vehicle with us for two consecutive years according to the recommended service interval. T&Cs apply.
#Appointments must be made through our Customer Relations at 6631 1188.

• Praise 1