Noob questions on property

boonhat_91

Starting a thread for noob questions you always wanted to ask, but didn't dare to or didn't know how to. Let me start the ball rolling.

Why does property appreciate? Does it not experience wear and tear like any other material possession? Is it because of demand vs supply and inflation?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Starting a thread for noob questions you always wanted to ask, but didn't dare to or didn't know how to. Let me start the ball rolling.

Why does property appreciate? Does it not experience wear and tear like any other material possession? Is it because of demand vs supply and inflation?

saturated finite space... increasing population size... 

oops ps, I thought specific enough being parked in the Property Buzz section :XD:

title amended, please be more specific in the thread title.

When will property prices stagnate or drop here in sg? Also, incomes don't seem to be growing at the same rate as property prices.

What happens when (starting) incomes keep growing but property prices stagnate or drop?

Are we always screwed? As long as I buy a resale property, not only do I pay an appreciated price, I also have to contend with inevitable maintenance costs further down the road.

saturated finite space... increasing population size... 

Where incomes are concerned, the largest variable is household income. That variable is growing faster than property prices actually.

https://www.singstat.gov.sg/-/media/files/publications/households/pp-s24.pdf

Another way to answer your question is that property prices did drop in 2009 as well as from 2013 to 2016.

As for price stagnation, we can see stagnation these couple of months, and probably slower growth in the year ahead (or stagnation).

Still another way to answer your question is that property prices (for ageing properties) will depreciate (drop) towards the last 30 years of their lease, as a borrower cannot use CPF to finance the purchase, and also banks are not able to loan.

When will property prices stagnate or drop here in sg? Also, incomes don't seem to be growing at the same rate as property prices.

can be explained as part of demand and supply

factors affecting demand (income, age, status of buyer, pricing, location, development potential age etc)

factors affecting supply (cost and development charges, land supply, development/marketing potential)

as for depreciation, it is not directly affecting demand or supply or even prices.  but indirectly it does because newer property is always more attractive, freehold will generally sell for more than leasehold 99 in the same area same age.  unlike cars, where the price offered has strong correlation to the straight line depreciation of the asset.

Yes, it does experience the same wear and tear like any other material possession, however, we also have to take account of the appreciation of the intrinsic value. If the intrinsic value (land value) appreciates more than your wear and tear, you have a positive investment. Just like cars, not all cars has zero value at the end, certain models become collectibles and even see their values go up. 

An extreme example just to illustrate a point. Imagine you bought this piece of land that has 99 year leasehold in a third world country, say 500k dollars. Technically, at the end of 99 years, it should be zero. But imagine during this 99 years, may be at the 50th year, this third world country developed into a first world, and so happens that your land is now in the middle of its CBD...

yalor. next i will start a new thread why T2 cannot buy EC ... lol

May I suggest merge the these thread into the more popular one . No ending merry-go-round Qs.

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1

So those people who famously bought resale at popular areas like Queenstown, Bishan, Toa Payoh - paying prices like 800k-1m.. can they expect to sell at even higher in future? Or are they stuck?

What is T2 ar?

yalor. next i will start a new thread why T2 cannot buy EC ... lol

• Praise 1

May I suggest merge the these thread into the more popular one . No ending merry-go-round Qs.

Ya la. Same issues n questions on property ma. Why create new thread to ask the same questions?
  • Praise 1

Ya la. Same issues n questions on property ma. Why create new thread to ask the same questions?

only cos some ppl refuse to search too?

i have since given up and my BP has come down to a decent level hahahahahaha

• Praise 1

title amended, please be more specific in the thread title.

Hehehe what was the initial thread title?

only cos some ppl refuse to search too?

i have since given up and my BP has come down to a decent level hahahahahaha

Ok la... I feel most people are careful about creating threads these days.

It's getting better .

So those people who famously bought resale at popular areas like Queenstown, Bishan, Toa Payoh - paying prices like 800k-1m.. can they expect to sell at even higher in future? Or are they stuck?

What is T2 ar?

Depends on the age of the property.

If below 20 years, yes possibly.

If above;20 years, unlikely

T2 is Singapore's Warren buffett

Edited by Friendstar
  • Praise 1

Hehehe what was the initial thread title?

Ok la... I feel most people are careful about creating threads these days.

It's getting better .

initial title: noob Qns

duh!

Agree bro.  Most do their due diligence save for a few strawberries hahahha

• Praise 1

initial title: noob Qns

duh!

Agree bro. Most do their due diligence save for a few strawberries hahahha

You should be happy strawberries are joining the forum mah.

Rejuvenation of the mcf population .

Bleah!

You should be happy strawberries are joining the forum mah.

Rejuvenation of the mcf population .

Bleah!

hahahah...

↡ Advertisement