2019 All new Mazda 3

csy_sky

Finally saw a Mazda3 on the road. Sedan in soul Red (arguably the best colour). Followed it for a good 10min (on the PIE). Curiously is was an SMK number plate. With SMM and SMN plates out now, must've been one of the first deliveries or a press car.

Personally I found it massively underwhelming. Under the direct sunlight it just looks like a small Mazda6. Don't get me wrong, it's a classy design - but it's a car that'll just blend in over a few months. Kind of like the current Mazda3 and the Vezel.

Finally saw a Mazda3 on the road. Sedan in soul Red (arguably the best colour). Followed it for a good 10min (on the PIE). Curiously is was an SMK number plate. With SMM and SMN plates out now, must've been one of the first deliveries or a press car.

Personally I found it massively underwhelming. Under the direct sunlight it just looks like a small Mazda6. Don't get me wrong, it's a classy design - but it's a car that'll just blend in over a few months. Kind of like the current Mazda3 and the Vezel.

Possible the carplate was ported over from another ride, or bought off the carplate bidding - presumably the number is good haha!

Yeah any guy on the street cant possibly differentiate the new mz3 and mz6 fl. Only car enthusiast or mazda owner might be able to spot the small aesthetic differences

I have owned a Mazda before. Mazda’s are know for their better chassis among the Japanese car makers. However when it comes to engines. They might be innovative with skyactive and the rotary. They still lag behind Honda and toyota in terms of engine design. My take is, if skyactive is so good, why are the rest of the manufacturers not using it. Toyota and Honda R&D teams are many many times larger than Mazda.

Engine design and tech is old school. No rocket science behind it where someone can be doing cutting edge stuff.

mazda has only taken the spotlight after they've broken off from ford chrysler automobiles (FCA). their previous generation stuff has only been so-so for the mass production cars with the exception of the MPS/ Mazdaspeed 3 and 6.

now as an independent, their overall package from 2013/14 has been very good. i won't comment on the new BP gen 4 models as i'm not quite convinced on the direction taken with the 3. (torsion beam amongst other stuff). also, i won't comment on honda because i'm slightly prejudiced against the brand even with their performance models. (no i'm not a fan of the new type R or NSX)

however, toyota has been very good with engine design but not in terms of in car tech. it's taken them awhile to hop on board for basic features such as safety tech. i do applaud their hybrid design having driven the new corolla hybrid hatch. they seem to be taking a more youthful and sporty approach to their current fleet with vehicles such as the camry. i really do hope they go back to their 80s and 90s for inspiration so that we can see vehicles such as crown, cressida, aristo or chaser. 

all in all, singapore is not really a place to judge a brand's development in terms of engine as you guys don't really get normal engines that the rest of the world gets due to COE.

• Praise 2

@Solomongrundy how's the car after 2 weeks?

What's your average FC like?

By the way, anyone knows where to get the rear bumper step plate and boot luggage tray for the hatchback?

@Solomongrundy how's the car after 2 weeks?

What's your average FC like?

By the way, anyone knows where to get the rear bumper step plate and boot luggage tray for the hatchback?

Currently at 13KM/L about 600KM. :-)
  • Praise 1

is your daily commune typically consisting of high way driving or city driving?

70% city 30% highway -

I was hoping for the fuel consumption to go up after breaking in - not sure if there will be a difference

• Praise 1

70% city 30% highway -

I was hoping for the fuel consumption to go up after breaking in - not sure if there will be a difference

think it's pretty good FC for mostly city driving. if highway surely better.
  • Praise 1

70% city 30% highway -

I think not too bad, and at least it's a pleasure to drive I guess!
  • Praise 1

Yeah so far so good! Any more MZ3 owners?

Here. Waiting for collection. How’s the brake so far? Heard need some seasoning before it becomes smoother to engage. Is the rear C-beam really an issue so far?
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1