2019 All new Mazda 3

csy_sky

I love the second gen Astina. The slim headlights and the auto retractable radio antenna...:)

The interior with the top and bottom glove compartment also very unique at that time.

Thinking back, Mazda does make nice cars....

929 coupe was one of my fav as well...

Oh ya. The 2nd generation Astina is the one with frameless window? And yes yes, 929 was amazingly stylish too as a sedan, I haven't seen the coupe before.
↡ Advertisement

1996-Mazda-323-astina-hatch-white-press%

The shape is so beautiful I will be happy to drive this car today.

Just need to put in a more modern engine.

Don't even have to change the suspension.

I think this car had multi link and today's car

use the cost saving torsion beam.

:D

• Praise 1

The shape still looks stylish today.

If they made this car today with newer mechanicals

I think people will buy it.

It might even compete with the Scirocco,

:D

heh heh you are right.

I had previously driven a Scirocco and absolutely loved the car and the design. only issue was the gearbox. after that, none of the car designs came close to the Scirocco in my opinion till this Mazda 3 hatchback came along.

hence I bought it

• Praise 1

the Korean avante and cerato also have good drive dynamics right?

but does not affect much no interior room

Koreans are still far from it in terms of handling and driving dynamics. Although they have caught up in terms of reliability - see pic below.

The bonnet and engine bay of mazda cars have taken up a chunk of cabin space. Reason floated was this gives the car a sportier look. My speculation is its due to the size of skyactiv engine

post-206002-0-14748300-1564206525_thumb.png

So it's max60% or?

You mean for loan?

As long as OMV is more than 20,000, max loan is 60%

Not sure what's the OMV for the sedan classic trim though

You mean for loan?

As long as OMV is more than 20,000, max loan is 60%

Not sure what's the OMV for the sedan classic trim though

All new Mazda 3(s) are 60% max loan only...

The new Mazda 3 Basic are slightly above $20,000+ (if YEN drop then maybe eligible for 70% loan ?)

heh heh you are right.

I had previously driven a Scirocco and absolutely loved the car and the design. only issue was the gearbox. after that, none of the car designs came close to the Scirocco in my opinion till this Mazda 3 hatchback came along.

hence I bought it

• Praise 1

I have owned a Mazda before. Mazda’s are know for their better chassis among the Japanese car makers. However when it comes to engines. They might be innovative with skyactive and the rotary. They still lag behind Honda and toyota in terms of engine design. My take is, if skyactive is so good, why are the rest of the manufacturers not using it. Toyota and Honda R&D teams are many many times larger than Mazda.

Engine design and tech is old school. No rocket science behind it where someone can be doing cutting edge stuff.

toyota n honda dont dare to use 6sp auto gearbox for their b&b

they say cvt better fc...

but my mazda 2, can achieve 16km/l easily.

record is 19km/l for 1000km road trip. average speed 100km/h with many occasion I need to full throttle to overtake.

I own these few cars before

average fc

lancer cvt  10km/l

latio cvt     13km/l

fit cvt      13km/l

they cant achieve this kind of fc & cvt not fun to drive.

so I can tell u, skyactiv is good. the engine with 6sp auto box so willing to rev.  

go test drive it.

• Praise 1

in regards to cabin space. mazda has followed the sporty way of designing cars. basically long bonnet and short overhang. this gives the car a better balance as the engine can be pushed further back. think of cars like 2 door coupes such as the amg gts and the standard design language of most RWD vehicles like BMW 3 series.

also let's not forget that the mazda 3 is produced in AWD format. so the body design will include a bigger hump for the transmission tunnel whereas cars like slyphy and city are not produced in AWD. even if they do come in AWD for the japanese market which some model do, chances are you're getting honda and nissan from thailand rather than japan.. 

• Praise 1

Supercharged

pretty much sum it up

go try honda jazz/fit

the leg room could be better than many jap/korean small sedan car

Oh yeah. Jazz/fit is "spacious" for rear passenger.

Magical engineering

(edited)

Went for a test drive today, I can say is I am impressed by the solidness of the car. Engine, road and suspension noise is much more mufflered than previous 3. The ride is comfortable too.

But I am not sure is it due to the better insulation or the fact that the 1.5 litre engine feels abit weaker compare to previous 3, because it doesn't feel that responsive (normal mode, not eco) or maybe is due to 18 inch rim? And there was a buzzing sound coming from the driver's side A-pillar, when I pressed upon the pillar air vent, the noise is gone.

Three things I feel disappointed about the new 3,

1) The test model has 550km on it, so maybe engine is still tight and hence not responsive?

2) The brakes don't really feel like they have a strong bite upon applying the brake pedal. The braking effectiveness is somehow correlate to your foot input strength that kind of feel.

3) The interior space is disappointing. I felt that the previous 3 when adjusted to my driving position, I have about close to 2 fists length of space but the new 3, I have just around 1 fist length. Maybe the new 3 seat size is slightly bigger than previous? It actually doesn't feel much spacious than previous 3.

Overall, the interior feels cosy. The build, equipments (even the classic basic model is pretty well equipped) and design are impressive and I can say among Japanese makes, it has the best effort and quality. Driving wise it feels much continental solid.

Edited by Heartbreakid
  • Praise 1

I have owned a Mazda before. Mazdaâs are know for their better chassis among the Japanese car makers. However when it comes to engines. They might be innovative with skyactive and the rotary. They still lag behind Honda and toyota in terms of engine design. My take is, if skyactive is so good, why are the rest of the manufacturers not using it. Toyota and Honda R&D teams are many many times larger than Mazda.

Engine design and tech is old school. No rocket science behind it where someone can be doing cutting edge stuff.

Toyota is already callobrating with Mazda

In fact they r using Mazda technology if I'm not wrong.

• Praise 2