2019 All new Mazda 3

csy_sky

Saw someone placed order for the new mazda 3. Is it skyactiv x or g?

I don’t think u can place order now as no info on price, what models coming in etc.

Likely putting down name as an expression of interest ie TEK will contact customer when car is here to test drive and only then can place order if interested.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Took a look at the Mazda 3 and kinda of disappointed as

1. Still average cabin material. Those so-called leather wrapped on various cabin areas look great on pic but not when you actually there to have a feel of it. It is the same like Subaru XV or Honda Vezel. Just a trend that Mazda has follow than to bring up the car standard.

2. Still limited space. The rear leg and shoulder room still on the compact side. It is much more less spacious as comparing with many other cars of its class.

3. Car body feels light like Jap than being conti. For instance, the boot door feels really light on the opening and close.

Now, really hope this model was outshine on the ride. Don't know why a left hand drive was brought in as motorshow display. Lol.

Lol, how much can u afford bro?
  • Praise 1

I don’t think u can place order now as no info on price, what models coming in etc.

Likely putting down name as an expression of interest ie TEK will contact customer when car is here to test drive and only then can place order if interested.

SE in motorshow says can put down $2,000 deposit first for the car. 

Can be refunded if you don't like it after test drive.

1. Still average cabin material. Those so-called leather wrapped on various cabin areas look great on pic but not when you actually there to have a feel of it. It is the same like Subaru XV or Honda Vezel. Just a trend that Mazda has follow than to bring up the car standard.

2. Still limited space. The rear leg and shoulder room still on the compact side. It is much more less spacious as comparing with many other cars of its class.

3. Car body feels light like Jap than being conti. For instance, the boot door feels really light on the opening and close.

Now, really hope this model was outshine on the ride. Don't know why a left hand drive was brought in as motorshow display. Lol.

1. This applies across all the "mid-sized sedan" category. Unless you decide to go for something like a top-specced Audi A4 (with many options), you'd pretty much get the same. The contis may fare better in the interior refinement category but the trade-off is higher cost up-front, higher cost of ownership (servicing more ex).

2. Agree with you that the interior space of Mazda 3 still cannot match that of the Altis. But don't compare with SUVs/ crossovers like the Vezel. Those are in another category altogether. In this segment, you should be comparing the likes of the Impreza, Sylphy, Civic, Octavia, Jetta, etc. Must compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges!

3. IMHO, I think that's an acceptable sacrifice. I feel the same about the Mazda 6 as well. While the doors feel heavy enough and give a reassuring "thud" on closing, the boot feels light and flimsy. But the doors are what matter to passengers, boot lid less so. Unless, of course, you are a "Transporter" and the boot occupant is Shu Qi. :D

• Praise 2

1. This applies across all the "mid-sized sedan" category. Unless you decide to go for something like a top-specced Audi A4 (with many options), you'd pretty much get the same. The contis may fare better in the interior refinement category but the trade-off is higher cost up-front, higher cost of ownership (servicing more ex).

2. Agree with you that the interior space of Mazda 3 still cannot match that of the Altis. But don't compare with SUVs/ crossovers like the Vezel. Those are in another category altogether. In this segment, you should be comparing the likes of the Impreza, Sylphy, Civic, Octavia, Jetta, etc. Must compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges!

3. IMHO, I think that's an acceptable sacrifice. I feel the same about the Mazda 6 as well. While the doors feel heavy enough and give a reassuring "thud" on closing, the boot feels light and flimsy. But the doors are what matter to passengers, boot lid less so. Unless, of course, you are a "Transporter" and the boot occupant is Shu Qi. :D

is it confirm the mazda 3 ditch the independent suspension for a rear torsion beam version for the new model?

1. I do agree that the cabin materials used are some what kinda disappointing for cars of this category. Example: Kia Forte and Hyundai Avante has seriously upped their game. But looking at the overall design language, I would say they have excelled and it looks really attractive. 

- My key comment is the lack of rear aircon, which is available on the Forte and Avante.

2. It's a compact sedan and I find the space is decent. Its good enough and you can see why from the number of Mz3 used by the PHVs.

3. It's still a Jap car, as long as the fit and finishes are well put together, i don't have much complaints.

Summary

There is still a stark difference between the build quaility of conti and Jap made cars. Even if you compare the Koreans against the Japs, I find that the quality for the Koreans are either on par or some versions (Stinger, Santa Fe, etc), exceed expectations.

SE in motorshow says can put down $2,000 deposit first for the car.

Can be refunded if you don't like it after test drive.

That’s what I meant by expression of interest.

Placing order is totally different thing altogether as that means committed to buy already.

There won't be a chance to place order for now as TEK needs to get confirmation when car will come in and then judge what’s the probable COE level so that they can then price their cars

• Praise 2

It's built to a cost. Cannot expect much from this model. Very budget car for the masses

1. I do agree that the cabin materials used are some what kinda disappointing for cars of this category. Example: Kia Forte and Hyundai Avante has seriously upped their game. But looking at the overall design language, I would say they have excelled and it looks really attractive. 

- My key comment is the lack of rear aircon, which is available on the Forte and Avante.

2. It's a compact sedan and I find the space is decent. Its good enough and you can see why from the number of Mz3 used by the PHVs.

3. It's still a Jap car, as long as the fit and finishes are well put together, i don't have much complaints.

Summary

There is still a stark difference between the build quaility of conti and Jap made cars. Even if you compare the Koreans against the Japs, I find that the quality for the Koreans are either on par or some versions (Stinger, Santa Fe, etc), exceed expectations.

Yes bro, I was attracted by the Mazda 3 look on web thats why specially walking over the Mazda booth to take a look. The interior also looking good. But sadly the material...

In terms of cabin space, the front is alright however the rear is really compact. My height is 1.72m only and my knees already almost touching the front seats...its far far lesser than other sedan in this class like Sylphy, Avante, Forte, Altis and Civic...

Not sure if the show car to be of the lower specs, there wasn't any rear aircon? Nowadays its rivals already selling either on good comfort features or on good safety features...how to compete? Probably @ very good price?

In contrast with its bigger brother the Mazda 6, it was packaged with very good features even at 2L level. Plus the stunning look, it was selling like hot cake...

Yes bro, I was attracted by the Mazda 3 look on web thats why specially walking over the Mazda booth to take a look. The interior also looking good. But sadly the material...

In terms of cabin space, the front is alright however the rear is really compact. My height is 1.72m only and my knees already almost touching the front seats...its far far lesser than other sedan in this class like Sylphy, Avante, Forte, Altis and Civic...

Not sure if the show car to be of the lower specs, there wasn't any rear aircon? Nowadays its rivals already selling either on good comfort features or on good safety features...how to compete? Probably @ very good price?

In contrast with its bigger brother the Mazda 6, it was packaged with very good features even at 2L level. Plus the stunning look, it was selling like hot cake...

go for the flagship model!!.. psf also VFM and cheaper.. ditch the 3...

you cant go wrong usually with MIJ ...

The main selling points of Mazda 3 over its rivals came down to 2 main things:

1) The looks

2) The drive

With the switch in suspension set-up, I'm not sure if this changes the handling characteristics of the new model. Granted, most of us who drive like we're sedated probably won't feel much difference, but cornering performance is likely different. Mazda obviously claims it wouldn't change much but the laws of physics cannot be defied.

I think it would have been a better comparison if the Mazda 3 was sold in the 2.0L flavour. Car hunters like us would then make comparisons between the top-spec Mazda 3 vs the basic-spec Mazda 6 and then come to conclusions as to which is the better buy,

I guess that was the reason TEK chose not to bring in the 2.0L, because chances are, people will pay "a bit more" and get the 2.0L Mazda 6 Standard anyway.

• Praise 1

It depends, see you want to be in the best in your class or the bottom of your class. For me, I would rather be in the former.

1) The looks
2) The drive

With the switch in suspension set-up, I'm not sure if this changes the handling characteristics of the new model. Granted, most of us who drive like we're sedated probably won't feel much difference, but cornering performance is likely different. Mazda obviously claims it wouldn't change much but the laws of physics cannot be defied.

I think it would have been a better comparison if the Mazda 3 was sold in the 2.0L flavour. Car hunters like us would then make comparisons between the top-spec Mazda 3 vs the basic-spec Mazda 6 and then come to conclusions as to which is the better buy,

I guess that was the reason TEK chose not to bring in the 2.0L, because chances are, people will pay "a bit more" and get the 2.0L Mazda 6 Standard anyway.

• Praise 1

In budget segment, it has many rivals to compete still. Like Avante, Cerato, Sylphy, Civic etc.

Altis is out for now until the new model comes in...

All will easily beating Mazda 3 hands down on the comfort, quality and space....

Buyers at this segment would mostly priortise value for money at their top list.

U sure or not specially on quality part. Sylphy interior so old fashion n so many plastic parts
  • Praise 1

U sure or not specially on quality part. Sylphy interior so old fashion n so many plastic parts

Thats individual preference. There are buyers that buying a car that simply base on its look.

But generally, most buyers would not pick a car that looking more cheap than its rivals in the same market segment. 

In SG, many guys got to grant approval from their CO. Most of the time, they would reject because of quality.

Whereas for most guys would definitely looking at the heart of the engine...

1) The looks

2) The drive

Agreed with you bro on the look apartment. Drive wise was in the past when they first moved from 323 to 3. That was a great change. Thereafter, things seem quite static for years. 1.6L engine has dropped to 1.5L....

• Praise 1

It depends, see you want to be in the best in your class or the bottom of your class. For me, I would rather be in the former.

in spore assuming price gap is narrow

for a fully loaded specs camry/accord/teana

will lose to c180/318/a4 everyday la

hard truth

lol

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1

New Mazda 3 is one of the sleekest and sexy looking sedan, but the rear cabin space can be a squeeze.

Edited by Vinceng
  • Praise 1

The show car is actually rented from Mazda America from what I have heard.

Since this is American spec, probably the size would be the same. Shrinking it would make it worse.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1