COE Bidding – 2nd Round of October 2018

Philipkee

5 years later with more mrt lines available, it is possible. As it is now, I think less people are buying cars because of better mrt lines (minus the breakdowns) and grab etc.

For example, people living at Hillview etc going town to work, take train is same time as car. Why drive and go through the jam?

Also, some people prefer taking public transport because can use phone, watch show, instead of just driving.

I suspect coe will continue on a downtrend for a long time to come. Even this downtrend now is not common. Usually doesn’t last so long

That's what you think, but having your own transport will still beat the convenience, family bonding and life satisfaction that cannot be replaced by other modes. 

↡ Advertisement

That's what you think, but having your own transport will still beat the convenience, family bonding and life satisfaction that cannot be replaced by other modes.

There are many couples with kids that get around by public transport . I dun see their family bonding getting weaker without owning cars

There are many couples with kids that get around by public transport . I dun see their family bonding getting weaker without owning cars

Not weaker but harder. 

To save time and hassle, they don't travel together, but instead meet at a place.

And there is not much privacy too. 

Not saying I disagree but it depends. If the family work near each other or the parents drive the children to school, I agree that bonding can occur. Otherwise it wouldn't.

Weekends wise families can bond at home and in fact, the savings from not buying a car would allow a family to have an all expenses paid weekend vacation to malaysian once a month at least.

So not disagreeing. It all depends on what the car is used for.

• Praise 1

5 years later with more mrt lines available, it is possible. As it is now, I think less people are buying cars because of better mrt lines (minus the breakdowns) and grab etc.

For example, people living at Hillview etc going town to work, take train is same time as car. Why drive and go through the jam?

Also, some people prefer taking public transport because can use phone, watch show, instead of just driving.

I suspect coe will continue on a downtrend for a long time to come. Even this downtrend now is not common. Usually doesnât last so long

I guess it depends on where you work. I work in the North, senoko area only 1 bus reach. Everyday to work and back home, no jam (seldom unless accident) no ERP, free parking at work. Just more excuses to drive.
  • Praise 1

Those who have a family may have more need for a car but certainly less than before, but what’s happening is the demand in the segment of people before having a family has reduced a lot. This means the entire car demand drops.

The newer generation are also looking for different life satisfactions, and more are looking at experiences than material satisfaction. Cost of living has also increased so people will prioritise houses and other things before a car.

I know a lot of families who get by without a car, and plenty of young people who prefer not to drive as they can use their phone, they can party, have more money to travel etc. They just don’t see a need for it and it is not a status symbol for them anymore.

So will you give up if more mrt line available?

I won’t because I have a family and I love cars. Haha.

But for those who see it as a transport means only may not get one. See my earlier reply above.

• Praise 2

Anyway I don’t think we will be able to get a point of view from those who don’t need cars because they are not on this forum in the first place hahahaha. Our views r all biased here.

• Praise 2

Own transport gives convenience and save time. If one day can save 30 minutes, 365 days can save 182.5 hours or 7.6 days. You may call it money buy time. Worth it ....... you decide?

• Praise 1

Your friend did the right thing, as long as he could survive without a car, he saves a lot more money than anyone of us here.

You’re right. His money is better use paying for the chronic diseases during old age.
  • Dislike 1

I guess we cannot deny that with more train lines available, and the presence of phv transport, demand for cars have dropped. You can say more cars are scrapped but why are those not buying again? Somemore there is zero growth in cars now.

If not for grab/uber buying too many cars, I think coe would have dropped long ago. I doubt we will ever see the coe levels reaching 80k+ again, unless the gov tweaks the system to get more revenues

I guess we cannot deny that with more train lines available, and the presence of phv transport, demand for cars have dropped. You can say more cars are scrapped but why are those not buying again? Somemore there is zero growth in cars now.

If not for grab/uber buying too many cars, I think coe would have dropped long ago. I doubt we will ever see the coe levels reaching 80k+ again, unless the gov tweaks the system to get more revenues

now we need 30/40% down payment and loan maximum 7 years, one of the reasons. 

Edited by Dafansu

During COE crunch time, $100k COE and beuond is still possible without the effect of Grab and Uber. The problem is Uber came in when there was bumper crop of of COE which supposed to have low COE price but uber bidded the price up.

Own transport gives convenience and save time. If one day can save 30 minutes, 365 days can save 182.5 hours or 7.6 days. You may call it money buy time. Worth it ....... you decide?

What abt my case I take mrt save 10min compare to get stuck in morning and evening jam, and save $1.5k every month giving ip car ($18k a year I go holiday w quality family time), get to relax with Korean drama on mrt instead of stress in the traffic jam w long term health issues like high blood

I tried going office early morning to avoid jam, ended up also work late to avoid evening jam, find it not worthiness the end

• Praise 2

What abt my case I take mrt save 10min compare to get stuck in morning and evening jam, and save $1.5k every month giving ip car ($18k a year I go holiday w quality family time), get to relax with Korean drama on mrt instead of stress in the traffic jam w long term health issues like high blood

I tried going office early morning to avoid jam, ended up also work late to avoid evening jam, find it not worthiness the end

It is s smart move.  I hope more people give up their cars like you and take MRT so COE will be $1 for every bidding exercise.  People without cars save money and save time, car buyers pay less and less congestion. SMRT more revenues. Everyone happy!

• Praise 6

It is s smart move. I hope more people give up their cars like you and take MRT so COE will be $1 for every bidding exercise. People without cars save money and save time, car buyers pay less and less congestion. SMRT more revenues. Everyone happy!

This is just how I calculate, seems obvious but people always have their own choice how to spend their money, different priorities, different views, different choices.

Btw I also support grab/taxi uncles a lot besides contributing to mrt revenue, I find grab:taxi save time on finding parking.

Drivers also contribute to road tax, ERP, LTA fines, Capital Malls parking revenue, and the most blood sucking petrol oligopoly (95 has been at high of $2.40 for weeks now, anyone going JB this week?)

Btw coe down already up again, then down again, monitor stocks on mrt better returns.

Edited by tmsan
  • Praise 1

That will never happen. Those who can truly afford a car will not think like him, Its those who cannot really afford type of people will find ways to say owning a car is this and that. You know i know.

It is s smart move.  I hope more people give up their cars like you and take MRT so COE will be $1 for every bidding exercise.  People without cars save money and save time, car buyers pay less and less congestion. SMRT more revenues. Everyone happy!

• Praise 1

That will never happen. Those who can truly afford a car will not think like him, Its those who cannot really afford type of people will find ways to say owning a car is this and that. You know i know.

If it is a true opinion, it is also good for everyone to enjoy what they truly want for themselves. For sure I won't argue against that because I know what I want and it can only be a good thing for less competition means lower demand for car and lower prices. Everyone happy end of day.
  • Praise 1

It is s smart move. I hope more people give up their cars like you and take MRT so COE will be $1 for every bidding exercise. People without cars save money and save time, car buyers pay less and less congestion. SMRT more revenues. Everyone happy!

Haha ........ you want $1 for your new ride
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1