• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
265 replies to this topic | 590 praises

Posted 17 October 2018 - 01:22 PM

Rollagt
  • Premium member
    Rollagt
    6th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Need to seek fellow MCFers view on this.

I read that Starhub will be terminating the cable TV and migrate to fibre TV in a few years time and in order for fibreTV to work, the TV set and supporting hardwares had to be connected to the termination point (OpenNet) via cables.

If my termination point is located at the main door area, does it mean I have to engage technician to relocate the termination point to my living room with drilling thru walls and ugly trunking ?

Is it possible for FibreTV to work via WIFI ?

1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 17 October 2018 - 01:36 PM

mersaylee
  • mersaylee
    NOS-ed
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Yes and yes.

My wife asked the tech who came to run extension and drill hole into the study where the router is for better signal to the bedrooms.

By right there’s a cost to it but Aunty 出招 acted cute and blur so...

Posted 17 October 2018 - 01:49 PM

Neutrino
  • Neutrino
    Supercharged
    Author Image

Yes and yes.

My wife asked the tech who came to run extension and drill hole into the study where the router is for better signal to the bedrooms.

By right there’s a cost to it but Aunty 出招 acted cute and blur so...

I was told the cost is S$160.

How do you get it free?

Who does it for you?

BTW I am perfectly happy with the cable connection but as you say this will stop soon, Starhub can't or won't say when, so I want to get the indoor fibre point sorted.

Edited by Neutrino, 17 October 2018 - 01:51 PM.

1 Anonymous member praised this
There is no law without enforcement

Posted 17 October 2018 - 01:55 PM

Jman888
  • Jman888

I read that Starhub will be terminating the cable TV and migrate to fibre TV in a few years time and in order for fibreTV to work, the TV set and supporting hardwares had to be connected to the termination point (OpenNet) via cables.

If my termination point is located at the main door area, does it mean I have to engage technician to relocate the termination point to my living room with drilling thru walls and ugly trunking ?

The OpenNet termination point will near the main door where it will connect to the modem and router (wifi) in the living room, you can then lay LAN cable trunking to your room.

If you require another TV box (singtel tv or starhub tv) in the room, it cannot be transmit via wifi, you need the cable. 

骑白马的不一定是王 ,可能是唐僧;带翅膀的也不一定是天使,有时候是鸟人。

Posted 17 October 2018 - 01:56 PM

mersaylee
  • mersaylee
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

I was told the cost is S$160.

How do you get it free?
Who does it for you?

BTW I am perfectly happy with the cable connection but as you say this will stop soon, Starhub can't or won't say when, so I want to get the indoor fibre point sorted.

I meant any extension...

Posted 17 October 2018 - 02:14 PM

Ysc3
  • Premium member
    Ysc3
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Need to seek fellow MCFers view on this.

I read that Starhub will be terminating the cable TV and migrate to fibre TV in a few years time and in order for fibreTV to work, the TV set and supporting hardwares had to be connected to the termination point (OpenNet) via cables.

SH is using back the ONT... So basically you can leave the ONT at your TP original location ...but only need to pull one cable from the ONT to your TV, not a whole bunch.

Posted 17 October 2018 - 02:19 PM

AndrewLee72
  • Premium member
    AndrewLee72
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Wait for recontract yr SH TV.. I did a recontract.. They gave me FREE SH fibre 1 gig.. Free linksys AC router. Free 1 x lan point wring to living room TV.

Edited by Digthis1, 17 October 2018 - 02:19 PM.

Posted 17 October 2018 - 02:30 PM

Kb27
  • Premium member
    Kb27
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I am not sure what the current situation is.

My guess is that SH is putting all its digital tv signal on fibre /ethernet.

That means, you'll need a router/wifi and SH will probably provide a set top box (with decryption) to convert ethernet signal from the router to HDMI, so you can connect to TV

That means the end of coax cables.

Posted 17 October 2018 - 03:15 PM

Queks
  • Premium member
    Queks
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Extract from starhub website:

http://www.starhub.c...et-top-box.html

If you have only 1 set top box then no need for the IP switch. Refer to the diagram for 1 STB in the link.

iptv-multiple-set-top-box-set-up.jpg

Edited by Queks, 17 October 2018 - 03:17 PM.

BanCoe and Locknload praised this

Posted 17 October 2018 - 03:31 PM

Queks
  • Premium member
    Queks
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Refer to the diagram I post. If you want to replace the IP switch with wifi. How are you going to get the wifi client to connect to STB? Most wifi client need a pc to set the config unless u use a stand alone wifi client.

There are 2 ways - One is to use powerline plug. Another one is to use MoCA device and run thr existing coax tv point.

I am using MoCA as the starhub Samsung STB is MoCA 1.1 certified. I just use back the existing coax cable via current tv point.

Posted 17 October 2018 - 03:41 PM

mersaylee
  • mersaylee
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Refer to the diagram I post. If you want to replace the IP switch with wifi. How are you going to get the wifi client to connect to STB? Most wifi client need a pc to set the config unless u use a stand alone wifi client.

There are 2 ways - One is to use powerline plug. Another one is to use MoCA device and run thr existing coax tv point.

I am using MoCA as the starhub Samsung STB is MoCA 1.1 certified. I just use back the existing coax cable via current tv point.

How’s the powerline plug performs against a more powerful router?

I ask this is because I’m procrastinating to get this for each room as the wifi at home generally good till my girl watched YT on her OPPO hp, it seems to suck up most of the bandwidth...🤪

Posted 17 October 2018 - 03:46 PM

Mustank
  • Mustank
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Howâs the powerline plug performs against a more powerful router?

I ask this is because Iâm procrastinating to get this for each room as the wifi at home generally good till my girl watched YT on her OPPO hp, it seems to suck up most of the bandwidth...ð¤ª

Yt can suck bandwidth meh?
Suspicious :grin:

Posted 17 October 2018 - 03:48 PM

mersaylee
  • mersaylee
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Yt can suck bandwidth meh?
Suspicious :grin:

She usually watches music beedeos while I watch prawning...shouldn’t have conflicts right?
Mercury1 praised this

Posted 17 October 2018 - 03:51 PM

Queks
  • Premium member
    Queks
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

How’s the powerline plug performs against a more powerful router?

I ask this is because I’m procrastinating to get this for each room as the wifi at home generally good till my girl watched YT on her OPPO hp, it seems to suck up most of the bandwidth...🤪

Sorry, don't get what you are trying to compare. 1 is wireless and 1 is wired. If you follow the diagram, you don't even need a router. A simple dumb switch will do. And BTW, the fiber STB is on a separated LAN by itself. It does not share with your internet.

Edited by Queks, 17 October 2018 - 03:52 PM.

Posted 17 October 2018 - 03:59 PM

Mustank
  • Mustank
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

She usually watches music beedeos while I watch prawning...shouldnât have conflicts right?

Shouldn’t lah
Both usage very Low one
Unless is wifi coverage issues
You download the wifisweetspot app, see get how many mbps. (This is not actual mbps. This just check for how many mbps from router. Not internet speed. But if Low mean coverage issue)

Edited by Mustank, 17 October 2018 - 03:59 PM.

Posted 17 October 2018 - 04:06 PM

Vratenza
  • Premium member
    Vratenza
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

If she watches Youtube UltraHD channels 

https://www.youtube....HFNipzeAGBI5t9g

and you watch Ultra HD Lobstering......highly likely the wireless router bandwidth kenna maxed out :D

She usually watches music beedeos while I watch prawning...shouldn’t have conflicts right?

Circles Life Referral Code: HTWWD

Posted 17 October 2018 - 04:13 PM

mersaylee
  • mersaylee
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

If she watches Youtube UltraHD channels
https://www.youtube....HFNipzeAGBI5t9g

and you watch Ultra HD Lobstering......highly likely the wireless router bandwidth kenna maxed out :D

No wonder...we both like HD stuff.

Shouldnât lah
Both usage very Low one
Unless is wifi coverage issues
You download the wifisweetspot app, see get how many mbps. (This is not actual mbps. This just check for how many mbps from router. Not internet speed. But if Low mean coverage issue)

Oh yah. My colleague mentioned this before...I’ll try that...thanks for the reminder.

Posted 17 October 2018 - 04:15 PM

Mustank
  • Mustank
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

No wonder...we both like HD stuff.
Oh yah. My colleague mentioned this before...Iâll try that...thanks for the reminder.

today’s life is so dependent on network
Young and old need to learn simple network troubleshoot

Posted 17 October 2018 - 04:16 PM

mersaylee
  • mersaylee
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Sorry, don't get what you are trying to compare. 1 is wireless and 1 is wired. If you follow the diagram, you don't even need a router. A simple dumb switch will do. And BTW, the fiber STB is on a separated LAN by itself. It does not share with your internet.

Isn’t the powerline plug acts like a router or a booster if I may when it’s plugged into the usual power socket?

My colleague mentioned that it helps in boosting the signal in the room when there’re too many walls from the base router source.

Posted 17 October 2018 - 04:30 PM

Queks
  • Premium member
    Queks
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Isn’t the powerline plug acts like a router or a booster if I may when it’s plugged into the usual power socket?

My colleague mentioned that it helps in boosting the signal in the room when there’re too many walls from the base router source.

Huh??? Powerline plug is to run network signal over powerline when you are not able to run it over ethernet cable or don't have ethernet cable around. It convert signal back to RJ45 at the end.

Manufacturer might throw in extra function such as wifi extender or repeater which will cut your wifi throughput by half (read up if you want to know why half). What you say is actually a extender or repeater.

Read my first reply. even if you can use wifi to transmit. How are you going to received? A wifi client need to install driver and software to config which SSID and password to connect. The STB is not a computer.  

Vratenza and Lala81 praised this

Back to Lite & EZ  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: fibretv, starhub and 4 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users