Fibre TV and termination point

Rollagt

Just for your info, starhub cable going to cease somewhere end 2019 or early 2020 (based on hear say). That's why most ppl unable to recontract their cable TV since late last year. All force to change to fiber TV instead.

SH dont own the cable but lease it and the lease end in early 2020.

But that does not mean cannot renew the lease.

Just like champions league football. Recontract at the last minute.

Thousands of customers are on cable broadband and TV.

If the lease is not renewed how can they supply broadband and TV to their customers?

:D

Edited by Jamesc
↡ Advertisement

If I was their management I would not lose hundreds of thousands of customers overnight.

That would not be good for revenue.

I would be fighting tooth and nail to have the lease renewed for another 10 years.

That cable network cost million to build and it runs at 100 mbps good enough for most of us.

But the true worth of the cable is as a backup network if terrorists take down our fibre network we have a working backup.

In the information age this is so important.

People need to ask themselves what if terrorists take down our fibre network what would happen to our economy.

We need cable as our contigncy.

Edited by Jamesc
  • Praise 1

sorry ah can i piggy back on this thread? cos my parent's room is still using the analog connection to TV direct.

lately the 32" TV become a 23" viewing area because a big portion of screen is now a constant reminder to convert to digital connection.

they don't qualify for the free set-top box as they have a MIO TV in the living room.

i want to buy a tv box for them but i don't know which one to get. is there any box that doesn't require any external antenna?

recommendations are appreciated. not those android tv box that requires internet hor (they don't have internet at home).. basically one that can allow viewing of FTA channels can liao.

TIA!

Edited by Theoldjaffa

sorry ah can i piggy back on this thread? cos my parent's room is still using the analog connection to TV direct.

lately the 32" TV become a 23" viewing area because a big portion of screen is now a constant reminder to convert to digital connection.

they don't qualify for the free set-top box as they have a MIO TV in the living room.

i want to buy a tv box for them but i don't know which one to get. is there any box that doesn't require any external antenna?

recommendations are appreciated. not those android tv box that requires internet hor (they don't have internet at home).. basically one that can allow viewing of FTA channels can liao.

TIA!

Why not rent another Mio tv box from singtel so that they can watch Mio tv in the room.

Turbocharged

TIA!

Get one of this cheap cheap DVB-T2 tv box from Qoo10 or ezbuy can liao.

https://www.qoo10.sg/item/DIGITALBOX-LOCAL-WARRANTY-UKOBOX-DVB-T2-RECEIVER-DVB-T2-TUNNER-DVB-T2-BOX/612060918?banner_no=1305330

• Praise 4

If I was their management I would not lose hundreds of thousands of customers overnight.

That would not be good for revenue.

I would be fighting tooth and nail to have the lease renewed for another 10 years.

That cable network cost million to build and it runs at 100 mbps good enough for most of us.

But the true worth of the cable is as a backup network if terrorists take down our fibre network we have a working backup.

In the information age this is so important.

People need to ask themselves what if terrorists take down our fibre network what would happen to our economy.

We need cable as our contigncy.

I saw the latest seaons of "The Last Ship"

It had an original idea, that a network worm/virus shutdown all computerised networks, satellites, so all their hi tech weapon didn't work.

They are left with analog helicopter and weapons...sorta back to WWII weapons only left operating.

Interesting idea, but does give thoughts for contingency backups.

• Praise 1

It had an original idea, that a network worm/virus shutdown all computerised networks, satellites, so all their hi tech weapon didn't work.

They are left with analog helicopter and weapons...sorta back to WWII weapons only left operating.

I heard if they explode a neutron bomb over the north pole it will create a pulse that will wipe out all the silicon chips. All computers will not work.

Then China will rule the world with their 4 million man army and AK47s.

And to take out a fibre network a high pulse laser will melt all the fibre optics and they can do this at the speed of light.

Just for your info, starhub cable going to cease somewhere end 2019 or early 2020 (based on hear say). That's why most ppl unable to recontract their cable TV since late last year. All force to change to fiber TV instead.

Eh?

I recontracted my cable TV two weeks ago.

• Praise 2

Twincharged

Storyline machiam Battleship...

Eh?

I recontracted my cable TV two weeks ago.

That is very weird... The guy at the tampines mall SH shop told me cannot. Say die die must sub their fibre then can connect to shtv.

I told him in that case to cancel my shtv... Then he ask for my account then told me I qualify for the free fibre bb package.

• Praise 1

That is very weird... The guy at the tampines mall SH shop told me cannot. Say die die must sub their fibre then can connect to shtv.

I told him in that case to cancel my shtv... Then he ask for my account then told me I qualify for the free fibre bb package.

Hehe tricky

TIA!

Just try applying for them and see if they qualify. I have starhub box in the living room but managed to get 1 free.

https://starterkit.digitaltv.sg/#apply

The same set top box is selling for $98 at Best Denki, etc.

All the set top box need external antenna so bo pian.

Else just buy from this seller, I got one from him too. Go self collect, the ah tiong is a nice guy who will try and explain the set to you.

https://qoo.tn/BDTKcR/Q121144908

Edited by Fcw75
  • Praise 1

I have feeling "everyone" qualifies but if people never ask they never get.

I went to change my sim card to nano and they told me need to pay.

I told them my fren came last week and no need to pay.

He went to ask his supervisor and it must have been my lucky day

cos he says I no need to pay.

They have thousands of customers on cable and

they are trying to get their customer to change to fibre.

I refuse to move to fibre cos cable is very stable and fast enough for me

and only 19.90

Any way I think cable will around for years.

Its also possible when the owner of the cable take back the cable

they could supply all the existing customers broadband and TV.

Imagine that. They could have hundreds of thousands of customer

over night.

Edited by Jamesc

Same as my parents' situation.

I am asking my brother to cancel the mioTV (which my mom claims she can live without... [sly] ) when it's contract is over by end of this month,

call up the agency again and ask them to come down to install the free digital decoder/antennae.....

Once done, reconsider to subscribe to mioTV/SH TV :D

TIA!

• Praise 1

Twincharged

Same as my parents' situation.

I am asking my brother to cancel the mioTV (which my mom claims she can live without... [sly] ) when it's contract is over by end of this month,

call up the agency again and ask them to come down to install the free digital decoder/antennae.....

Once done, reconsider to subscribe to mioTV/SH TV :D

i dunno about Mio ... but for SH, subscriber got to bring the STB back to them at their shops.

I have feeling "everyone" qualifies but if people never ask they never get.

I went to change my sim card to nano and they told me need to pay.

I told them my fren came last week and no need to pay.

He went to ask his supervisor and it must have been my lucky day

cos he says I no need to pay.

May I know how much of tattoo or biceps you showed...?

Actually, nebermine...I have neither to utilise...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1