Fibre TV and termination point

Rollagt

Hrmm not sure on minimum but usually most people would just run Cat 6 cables as its more cost effective and have the router stay with the fibre point.

The draw cable above false ceiling was to get the fibre cabling from outside the front door to the fibre TV etc point in the living room.

↡ Advertisement

1st time see people so happy about getting their own tax money back. Ah Gong don't figuratively print money one. :D

To get money back from Ah Gong.....Small pleasures in life.. :D

For past 3 yrs, I happily submit ZERO income in income tax returns.

You have to forward plan a little.

The fibre ONT is not only used for the fibre TV. It is also used for your fibre internet modem.

So plan the ONT location at a place where it is central in your house so that it will function like  communication node from where you can distribute out where you want the communication signals (TV/Internet), either wirelessly or via lan.

The place the ONT is located should preferably have enough space, ventilation and high enough for you to place your wifi modem thus you will minimize the possibility of wifi deadspots around the house.

The draw cable above false ceiling was to get the fibre cabling from outside the front door to the fibre TV etc point in the living room.

• Praise 1

Should work for any type of cable I imagine ie ethernet, fibre etc.

I Guess how you pull the cable would depend on your families internet usage. Ie for mine we pull ethernet cables thru the house and the hub is quite messy so would opt to keep it in the fibre Point cupboard. (Fibre termination point, router, cables etc)

If your using wifi primarily I guess pulling the fibre there directly and having a wifi router there would match household use

• Praise 1

Twincharged

just got my foc digital tv box with active antenna installed over the weekend

thank you ah gong for your generosity to peasant store man

ð¬ð

Btw, you can try to plug in the antenna to the box only... The antenna power cable just leave it hanging. My place does not require powered antenna.

You have to forward plan a little.

The fibre ONT is not only used for the fibre TV. It is also used for your fibre internet modem.

So plan the ONT location at a place where it is central in your house so that it will function like  communication node from where you can distribute out where you want the communication signals (TV/Internet), either wirelessly or via lan.

The place the ONT is located should preferably have enough space, ventilation and high enough for you to place your wifi modem thus you will minimize the possibility of wifi deadspots around the house.

Yup, as I said 'the fibre TV etc point'.

Oh and is there a difference between fibre TV and digital TV????

Edited by Neutrino

The free TV signals (ie. non subscription TV channels from medicacorp)) all going to be digital  from end of this year (ie. signals are in 1010101001010101010101010111100)

It's how this digital signal gets delivered to your TV screen that makes the difference:

1) Digital antennae and receiver box to decode the digital airwave frequency and send the image and sound  to your TV

2) if you are mio TV/SH fibre TV subscriber, this digital signal is already processed at their end and sent to your TV via the mioTV/SH fibre network. That's why you don't need the free antenna and receiver box from Ah Gong.

Yup, as I said 'the fibre TV etc point'.

Oh and is there a difference between fibre TV and digital TV????

Edited by Vratenza

fiber is the transmission, digital is the content format.

2 different thing altogether.

Yes correct.

To amplify, the content or video image is digitised and compressed.

It is transformed to a QAM signal, on a RF carrier. It is then mixed with many other digitized signals, other channels, audio, visual, internet, etc.

Finally, it's pumped into a fibre amplifier and transmitted on fibres over long distance with little loss.

At the end, your home, it's all converted back.

That's why fibre is the now and the future. It carries tons of data, with little loss.

The only time you don't get anything is like when a fibre amp breaks down or some contractors go chomping up fibres.

Yes correct.

To amplify, the content or video image is digitised and compressed.

It is transformed to a QAM signal, on a RF carrier. It is then mixed with many other digitized signals, other channels, audio, visual, internet, etc.

Finally, it's pumped into a fibre amplifier and transmitted on fibres over long distance with little loss.

At the end, your home, it's all converted back.

That's why fibre is the now and the future. It carries tons of data, with little loss.

The only time you don't get anything is like when a fibre amp breaks down or some contractors go chomping up fibres.

Thanks.

But I ain't got fibre.

My TV signal comes down the old cable as it has done for years???

I think the picture is great atm.

Into a SH box and then to the TV.

Could it be better with fibre delivering it?

Edited by Neutrino
  • Praise 1

Thanks.

But I ain't got fibre.

My TV signal comes down the old cable as it has done for years???

I think the picture is great atm.

Into a SH box and then to the TV.

Could it be better with fibre delivering it?

If u have a SH box, that's a coaxial cable point. 

no difference for your normal broadcast. but fibre is more versatile. It's like a 5 lane super expressway servicing your needs, though your car is only driving in 1 lane.

If u have a SH box, that's a coaxial cable point. 

no difference for your normal broadcast. but fibre is more versatile. It's like a 5 lane super expressway servicing your needs, though your car is only driving in 1 lane.

Muchos gracias.

But I'm not looking for versatility - just a great picture.

Can it be better with fibre?

Muchos gracias.

Hmm not at this moment unless the broadcasters decide this is what people want.

To push a 4K picture instead of a HD picture would require more bandwidth.

Muchos gracias.

If you are using a plasma or oled TV

then no you cannot get a better picture.

Unless you are on SD plasma or HD Oled

then yes you can get a better picture.

Get a HD plasma or a 4K Oled.

:D  

↡ Advertisement