Confidentiality of HR records

Solar

Turbocharged

Does a HR of another company have the rights to request for the HR records of an ex employee, in terms of

1. Salary and job details

2. Performance ratings and other information?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Does a HR of another company have the rights to request for the HR records of an ex employee, in terms of

if it is for the purpose of record/referee checking before hiring a candidate, then yes they do. It is quite a common practice.

But it is really up to the previous company on how much they want to reveal.

Edited by Icedbs
  • Praise 1

if it is for the purpose of record/referee checking before hiring a candidate, then yes they do. It is quite a common practice.

But it is really up to the previous company on how much they want to reveal.

I think the correct answer is no... no rights to demand.. but it’s frequently given.. and at discretion of previous company HR.. ex employee hv no right to stop as well..

• Praise 1

It is part of so called background check, which is not uncommon. However the company can not really asked openly, but more of seeking confirmation. In the scenario you quoted,

1) Can I confirm that ABC is with your company from DDMMYY to DDMMYY, holding the position of XYZ (job title), and drawing a package of $$$/mth or $$$p.a.?

2) May I know if ABC has any performance issue or being dismissed / terminated by your coy? Did he receive XXX, YYY award(s) while with your coy?

So both HR has to be very careful with the questions and responses I would say.

• Praise 9

It is part of so called background check, which is not uncommon. However the company can not really asked openly, but more of seeking confirmation. In the scenario you quoted,

1) Can I confirm that ABC is with your company from DDMMYY to DDMMYY, holding the position of XYZ (job title), and drawing a package of $$$/mth or $$$p.a.?

2) May I know if ABC has any performance issue or being dismissed / terminated by your coy? Did he receive XXX, YYY award(s) while with your coy?

Yep, it's mostly about simple background check. 

I was ever in a position that allows me to see some of these checks.

They seem to have a common template and every company usually ask the same few common questions. In that template, it has two columns.....one which the candidate has given his information (last salary. last title, reason for leaving, etc). The 2nd column is for the ex company to fill in, and by comparing the two columns, it is quite clear whether did the candidate gives the true information. The ex-company would also know if the candidate has been telling the truth.

You will be surprise how co-operative most companies are even when they are competitors. 

While I was in that position, it became absolutely clear to me why some people simply find it hard to find jobs again. It is probably because the reference check runs into some discrepancies.

So my advice to people leaving their jobs is this

1) Don't burn bridges. Always leave on a good note.

2) Always get a good testimonial from your ex-boss before leaving. Some very experience people think this is not important, and unless he gets into his next company through internal recommendation, having a testimonial could sometimes make the HR of the new company less nervous during reference check.

3) Always maintain good relationship with your ex-HR. They will be the one revealing about you in future checks.

Knowing the above and how they do their checks, I would often align my reasons for leaving with my ex-boss and HR before I leave. You see, the job title and last pay is often correct (assuming the candidate doesn't lie about those) but the reasons for leaving are often interpreted differently.  And that gives problem during a reference check. 

I have since left corporate jobs long ago, but those in corporate jobs need to be really careful on the above.

Edited by Icedbs
  • Praise 11

Yes, sure can ask

But depends on HR policy of ex company to give or not.

Usually to do reference check.

To add on burning bridges, your immediate supervisor and his boss can be contacted as well so not only HR. In fact, they are the most likely to be asked for reference checks so good point on not burning bridges.

I know it’s tempting to tell off bosses who have not been supportive and in some cases where they have been unjust, bully etc but we have lots to lose as they can bad mouth us in a reference check so unfair as it may sound, best to bite your tongue and just go amicably.

• Praise 5

I thought every company says salary is confidential?

Then how can they give it out?

Anyway I think company say its confidential is to stop the employee finding out he is being paid less than other staff for the same job.

HR no integrity one.

:D

Edited by Jamesc
  • Praise 1

If you are hiring a manager of higher don't waste your time with a background check with the company.

Do a background check by asking his staff. They will tell you all you need to know.

Companies do a 360 for performance appraisal. It's too late.

Do 360 when hiring. Once they are in its too late.

Reference check is common for your potential hiring company to check with your ex company on your employment back then. Some companies even can request you to submit your last payslip during the interview lo.

I thought every company says salary is confidential?

Then how can they give it out?

Anyway I think company say its confidential is to stop the employee finding out he is being paid less than other staff for the same job.

HR no integrity one.

It's like the GIC books. The public cannot know. Presidents can know, previous term or current.

Employee pay is confidential to peers

HR to HR is still confidential.

• Praise 2

If you are hiring a manager of higher don't waste your time with a background check with the company.

Do a background check by asking his staff. They will tell you all you need to know.

Which manager would implement that on themselves??

Oneself check oneself la ..

• Praise 1

Even they are in still not too late, you still can terminate them before confirmation.

To add on burning bridges, your immediate supervisor and his boss can be contacted as well so not only HR. In fact, they are the most likely to be asked for reference checks so good point on not burning bridges.

I know itâs tempting to tell off bosses who have not been supportive and in some cases where they have been unjust, bully etc but we have lots to lose as they can bad mouth us in a reference check so unfair as it may sound, best to bite your tongue and just go amicably.

If they check with current employer, don't think that is right. It will destroy the career prospect of the applicant if an offer and acceptance does not materialize. Edited by Voodooman

Twincharged

I have seen job application forms which has a clause asking the applicant if the potential hirer can contact the previous employer to find out more about the applicant.

So if the applicant tick yes (which they usually do) then should not be considered as demand liow lor.

Edited by Ysc3
↡ Advertisement