All About Wines

Atonchia

Saw that crimes too . But didnt try. ð now i keep drinking Jacob .. got good discount. Avoid the merlot

19 Crimes used to be good. Now the current ones so so only so I'm out looking at alternatives again.

Ya I don't drink Merlot. Jacob Creek abit "mainstream" .. I prefer to buy those relatively unknown brands on discount to try

• Praise 1

19 Crimes used to be good. Now the current ones so so only so I'm out looking at alternatives again.

Ya I don't drink Merlot. Jacob Creek abit "mainstream" .. I prefer to buy those relatively unknown brands on discount to try ð¤£

I thought wines of these range all shouldn't differ much in terms of taste and quality on every vintage.

The winemakers very often will source grapes in a wider region and blend the wines to have the same taste profile.

If you join Just Wine Club membership still get further 8% off.

$30 for that membership ... if you buy over 400 , that will cover back (only) .

• Praise 3

$30 for that membership ... if you buy over 400 , that will cover back (only) .

Two year is $35

Sure cover one lah.

Even just two bottles a week is 104 bottles a year. Average bottle is $20 so total is $2080.

Annual saving is $166.40.

I signed up 5 years ago.

• Praise 2

Did a search on vivino,

Found two similar wines

One has word Syrah, the other is just Cote Du Rhone Secret.....

Has 3.6 stars from 700 plus reviews.

Seems like Grenache Syrah blends from old world or new world around this price range.

If Grenache Syrah Mourvedre will be more pricey.

2015 drink now or cellar?

Drink now for the Secret de Famille Cote du Rhone 2015.

• Praise 2

Today I just found another place that sells wine for take away at amazing prices! The Chop House - I went to the one at i12 Katong, they have another at Vivocity.

I bought an Italian Tignanello @ $118 + 7% GST, cheaper than Changi airport duty free @ $144!

I also got a French Domaine Faiveley Mercurey 1er Cru for $48 + GST, and an easy drinking Spanish Pago del Cielo Celeste Crianza for $39 + GST.

• Praise 1

(edited)

This week I thought of sharing Shiraz from Australia, it's one of the most popular varietal in Australia and most abundant comparing to all other varieties.

It's one of my favourite varietal and having tried different brands from Australia, the most iconic brand that place Australia wine on the world map has to be Penfolds. I got to know this brand when I was posted for military training in Australia many years ago.

I search youtube and let the Brand Chief Wine Maker do the talking.

https://youtu.be/K4eLsw6ZpJ0

As a Just Wine Club member myself, I can't wait for the 2018 Vintage release dinner this coming Wednesday.

I will have a taste of Penfolds St Henri 2015, the last wine of 4 other Penfolds wines for this dinner.

Hopefully the vintage will taste like what the reviews say.

A bit on this Australian Shiraz.

St Henri is a time-honoured and alternative expression of Shiraz, and an intriguing counterpoint to Grange. It is unusual among high quality Australian red wines as it does not rely on any new oak.

Proudly, a wine style that hasn’t succumbed to the dictates of fashion or commerce. St Henri is rich and plush when young, gaining soft, earthy, mocha-like characters as it ages. It is matured in old, 1,460 litre vats that allow the wine to develop, imparting minimal, if any oak character. Although a small proportion of Cabernet is sometimes used to improve structure, the focal point for St Henri remains Shiraz.

Penfolds Grange is not one wine that I can afford to drink every release.

At least St Henri is one I can afford once a year.

Edited by Atonchia
  • Praise 2

This week I thought of sharing Shiraz from Australia, it's one of the most popular varietal in Australia and most abundant comparing to all other varieties.

It's one of my favourite varietal and having tried different brands from Australia, the most iconic brand that place Australia wine on the world map has to be Penfolds. I got to know this brand when I was posted for military training in Australia many years ago.

Do you find Australian Shiraz quite different from French Rhones?

Do you find Australian Shiraz quite different from French Rhones?

Yes very much different.

More intense and bolder characteristic.

Find the warmer climate heavier body and stronger tannin. Higher alcohol.

Though Northern Rhone is warm continental climate, but still cooler than Australia Barossa. Think the cooler effect is from the mistral.

Northern Rhone overall is not so heavy on the palate.

Lesser alcohol level as well.

Same varietal but a very different expression of flavours.

Greener, leaner and more restrained.

Australian Shiraz is like Chris Hemsworth and Rhone Syrah is like Jean Reno. Both great actors but different expression.

Wow half price ... hows was it ? ðð

I usually take Aus , Cali or Italy . Seldom drink Chile

Just tried the Chilean wine.

19 Crimes Shiraz is like good ristretto. Rich and flavourful.

This Chilean Shiraz is like McDonald's normal coffee. Very plain and thin.

Don't waste money buying it!

• Praise 1

Just tried the Chilean wine.

19 Crimes Shiraz is like good ristretto. Rich and flavourful.

This Chilean Shiraz is like McDonald's normal coffee. Very plain and thin.

Don't waste money buying it!

Maybe your choice of wine.

When I was in Beijing, i drank mostly Chilean Pinot Noir.

It is as good as Australian or French.

Of course. Not all Australian wines are good too.

It's just this particular Chilean wine is not good imo. Not bashing Chile in general.

• Praise 1

Yes very much different.

More intense and bolder characteristic.

Find the warmer climate heavier body and stronger tannin. Higher alcohol.

Though Northern Rhone is warm continental climate, but still cooler than Australia Barossa. Think the cooler effect is from the mistral.

Northern Rhone overall is not so heavy on the palate.

Lesser alcohol level as well.

Same varietal but a very different expression of flavours.

Greener, leaner and more restrained.

Australian Shiraz is like Chris Hemsworth and Rhone Syrah is like Jean Reno. Both great actors but different expression.

I agree with your assessment! I like the softer, lower alcohol expression of the northern Rhones. Some, like Hermitage, can be so elegant that I was stunned when I was told it was a syrah. 

Maybe your choice of wine.

When I was in Beijing, i drank mostly Chilean Pinot Noir.

It is as good as Australian or French.

There are great Chilean wines too.

Carmenère is one varietal that is like Shiraz to Australia and Malbec to Argentina.

Pinot Noir characteristics should be closer to New Zealand Pinot compare to Burgundy as both Chile and NZ has strong maritime influence. Difference is coastal regions of Chile has higher altitude than NZ.

Of course. Not all Australian wines are good too.

It's just this particular Chilean wine is not good imo. Not bashing Chile in general.

Agree, almost all wine countries have regions that produce very cheap wines.

Sometimes in SG that $4-5 difference has wide range in quality especially from $15 and $20 range.

Typically I will avoid wines that says Product of Country.

Example, Product of France, Product of Spain, Product of Italy.

Safest bet is seeing a geographic name.

Cheap wines which cost $3 and $8 in a wine producing countries can be very different in quality.

This $5 difference also roughly translate to the same SGD $ here.

The cheapest wine selling here is really is base on one luck to get a drinkable but great value.

• Praise 1

There are great Chilean wines too.

Carmenère is one varietal that is like Shiraz to Australia and Malbec to Argentina.

Pinot Noir characteristics should be closer to New Zealand Pinot compare to Burgundy as both Chile and NZ has strong maritime influence. Difference is coastal regions of Chile has higher altitude than NZ.

I drank a lot of Carmenere in Beijing. It’s dirt cheap like RMB40 or SGD8.

Occasionally I drink Chilean Pinot Noir as it cost RMB100 or SGD20.

↡ Advertisement