All About Wines

Atonchia

I bought a french @ $18 on sales at NTUC .. seldom I buy that . Taste ok , not as bad as some other cheap wine. 

but need to air abit longer. 

later I post pic .. 

Two cents on NTUC wine.

The younger the better. 

Open at least 2 hours before drinking.

Drink next day even better.

Both may go against the grain of knowledge but they work for me.

Edited by Neutrino
  • Praise 3

Wine ? Must ask the French.

They drink it everyday, at every meal like water.

It's called table wine, nothing fancy about it.

Wine is probably cheaper than Coke there.

I've tried their beaujolais, not very impressed. [:p]

I prefer pastis, although it's more an aperitif

Edited by Kb27
  • Praise 2

Is it "gao" or "Po"?

Like kopi gao, kopi po.. type

Not as gao as merlot... and not po like pinot

Actually i think this wine can buy . Easy to drink too.

Kopi i like blue mountain.

• Praise 3

Not as gao as merlot... and not po like pinot

Actually i think this wine can buy . Easy to drink too.

Kopi i like blue mountain. ð

Atas kopi. I only drink $1 kopi o kosong.

Is Shiraz more gao or Merlot?

Roadrunner is rite ..... but i also noticed some Shiraz taste better . 

The best is always try the cabernet or cabernet sauvignon ........ 

• Praise 3

It's not wine in the first place, it's a kind of spirit. This brand is northern style, typically rough. The central and southern ones are much more refined. The process is such that they tastes the best at around 50% ABV. You want to drink with XMM, better you buy 竹å¶é, it's sweet so XMM will drink a lot but still 40-50% ABV.

Where to buy this 竹叶青?

Bought one bottle of apparition controllee just now. Can't wait to try it!

.post-1798-0-94665100-1542377707_thumb.jpeg

Had a glass of red blend wine during dinner. My ideal full bodied wine, gao gao, but a bit too smoky and Woody. Generally, 8/10!

post-1798-0-79061000-1542377811_thumb.jpeg

• Praise 2

Some wines I won't buy in SG. You can fly there and buy a few dozens back, declare and pay taxes and still you pay less. You can invest in a big wine cellar, if you drink regularly, you will still pay less with the wine cellar costs included.

The little issue is, if importing more than 10 litres, must get an AVA permit first. Without one, even if you declare at customs, they cannot let you pay and go until you show the import permit. And the SG Customs app will not allow declaration of more than 10 litres.

• Praise 3

Usually, Shiraz is more siap.

Yes more Siap

It's more Siap

Then the sensation lingers on the lips, gums and tongue so it will also cause the sensation of more gao.

If Syrah....more po

Shiraz more gao

Merlot more mellow. Less grippy.

Wine ? Must ask the French.

They drink it everyday, at every meal like water.

It's called table wine, nothing fancy about it.

Wine is probably cheaper than Coke there.

I've tried their beaujolais, not very impressed. [:p]

I prefer pastis, although it's more an aperitif

Scent like Bubble gum

Beaujolais Nouveau is for people who like fresh berries note, fruity and sweet scent without any oak or secondary flavours.

• Praise 3

With all the debate on the price versus the quality of wine.

I have chosen a Spanish Tempranillo.

Because when I went back to my parents place and ask my dad if he has red wine, he poured me a Spanish Tempranillo. He bought this at Buy 1 Get 1 promo at Supermarket.

Spain is one of the largest wine producers in the world, most famous by Rioja wines. The largest wine producing region within Spain is Central Spain, La Mancha.

It is also one of the oldest. Winemaking is thought to have originated here in Roman times,

The wine was 2017 and has Joven on the sticker.

Spanish wines are often labeled according to the amount of aging the wine has received. When the label says vino joven ("young wine") technically the wines have not been aged at all.

So there is no influence of any oak.

Tempranillo is a black grape with a thick skin. It grows best at relatively high altitudes, but it also can tolerate a much warmer climate.

Tempranillo is an early ripen varietal and has a relatively neutral profile so it is often blended with other varieties, such as Grenache and Carignan. Tempranillo usually exhibit flavors of plum and strawberries.

The wine, looks clean, clear and ruby with medium intensity, unlike an Australian Shiraz, looking down from top of the glass, I still can see my fingers at the stem (I always pour about 2 cm depth when tasting wine) of a standard Riedel glass. With almost purplish tint at the edge.

Nose is very light and like Shiraz, or rather Syrah of cooler climate. some text relate Tempranillo more towards Cabernet Sauvignon, but I couldn't find the unique eucalyptus note.

Slight note of cherries and red prunes. Not the dark fruits like blackcurrant or blueberries that Wikipedia or wine folly said.

The tannins is medium plus and acidity is quite similar when one bite into a prune, quite refreshing but not to the point of high acidity like biting a slice of lemon. Wine is dry probably little residual sugar. Alcohol is medium at 13%.

Medium to light body and very short finish. I meant like I still can feel the tannin on my palate. The taste just goes immediately with the wine into the stomach.

My verdict:

Is the wine drinkable?

Yes, given it is only $28 and with a free bottle ð, one cannot complain the single dimensional characteristics and lack of finish. At least the wine does not taste harsh.

However, I am having a very slight headache after 2nd glass.

The Crianza was 2014.

It's nose was very oaky as Crianza require 2 years of aging, with 6 months in oak. Traditionally, producers use American oak, which is much stronger than other types of oak (such as French oak).

It overpowers the fruit because it's also already a 4yr wines. Has cigar box note and hint of cedary & spice

On the palate, the tannin from the oak is grippy, overall has the earthy note and "dusty" sensation.

As its medium body so doesn't feel to strong.

Dry, the acids on the medium plus side seems not just fruits acids but can't really fault the wine.

Can drink but not really enjoyable.

Thus maybe the special price.

Think the Joven Tempranillo is still better than the Crianza.

I still prefer the stronger Shiraz , though equally dry, there's still strong primary flavours of luscious blackcurrants.

↡ Advertisement