Balcony with no sink holes, how to keep it dry?

golden_eagle

I saw some condos with balcony but there is no sink holes for water to drain out. 

How would the owner keep the area dry when it rains? 

Can buyer get a renovator to install one if there are none? 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I saw some condos with balcony but there is no sink holes for water to drain out. 

I am surprised that there is balcony without floor trap or discharge pipe. Most unthinkable. Even HDB balconies will have, how can condos one not have? It is a design flaw if really true.

Don't see how is it possible to do one if there really isn't any. Drain to where?

• Praise 1

You mean drain hole?

AFAIK you cant create your own. It attaches to a pipe system below.

Unless your neighbor downstairs ok for u to mod his balcony ceiling and also provide drainage path

• Praise 1

I am surprised that there is balcony without floor trap or discharge pipe. Most unthinkable. Even HDB balconies will have, how can condos one not have? It is a design flaw if really true.

Don't see how is it possible to do one if there really isn't any. Drain to where?

I saw this advertisement. It doesn't look like to have one. 

https://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listing/21207660/for-sale-austville-residences?ref=ls%7Ctl3%7C5%7C1

You mean drain hole?

AFAIK you cant create your own. It attaches to a pipe system below.

Unless your neighbor downstairs ok for u to mod his balcony ceiling and also provide drainage path

Yeah that's what I refer to. 

Then is it required that I must keep it from leaking water downstairs, just like indoor areas? 

• Dislike 1

1st time I hear got no drain pipe or floor trap ... should have ..... nowadays dunno what’s going on..... heavy rain all water will flow into the house ??

• Praise 2

First time hear of this term.

Sink hole.

ok then. it's floor trap. 

either sink water and insects and spiders inside or trap them makes no difference.  [scholar]

• Praise 1

Balcony usually will be a drain outlet to open drain whilst kitchen or toilet then to a floor trap then sewer line. Nowaday, very relax and biz friendly, drain covers all sort of pattern. No regards to maintenance and ensjring water drain off fast enough. Standard of plumbing is really very low in singapore.

• Praise 2

balcony mean day time got sun or winds to dry it, if not use fan to blow.

Think or imagine if you are gone overseas or holidays and whole house close down and it’s the month of December or January ..... your fan so smart?? Water built up will go into the living hall or bedrooms even if there is a 2 inch drop .... house finish lah !

Water outlet is a must i say with proper drainage to common outlet of all other balconies

• Praise 3

If wan to renov need to check w condo mgt liao...

Even if allow still need to think where the water go. You wont wan the water to go to neighbour below

• Praise 5

I am quite surprised st your question, even my 35 year old hdb balcony has a drainage hole to drain out the water . What now for a condo that cost over a million.
  • Praise 1

cost cutting...

Some contractors will not install cut off valves to your kitchen sink tap. Be careful... If leak, need to shut off main, which means whole house no water. I give the contractor an earful when he said no need. In the end, I forced him to install.

Edited by Kangadrool

I am quite surprised st your question, even my 35 year old hdb balcony has a drainage hole to drain out the water . What now for a condo that cost over a million.ð

Meet together and arrange for en-bloc when all balconies become mozzie ponds

Balcony usually will be a drain outlet to open drain whilst kitchen or toilet then to a floor trap then sewer line. Nowaday, very relax and biz friendly, drain covers all sort of pattern. No regards to maintenance and ensjring water drain off fast enough. Standard of plumbing is really very low in singapore.

i see. 

could it be some concealed outlets? or i cant see in the virtual tour in that unit? 

my concern is what will happen if owner goes abroad or tenant too busy to handle that. 

I am quite surprised st your question, even my 35 year old hdb balcony has a drainage hole to drain out the water . What now for a condo that cost over a million.