Many rules/laws in Singapore but few enforcement officers

Yymail22

A familiar scene outside primary schools.

Parents and guardians waiting in their cars to pick up their children at mid day.

Most primary schools are located in HDB neighbourhood where car parks are plenty. Yet, these drivers choose to park along public roads despite the continuous white line in the middle of a narrow road.

And the engines are idling!

More sheltered areas have now been gazetted as non-smoking areas. Yet, it remains a common sight to see cigarettes being lit up at HDB void decks, sheltered walkways outside HDB shops, at overhead bridges.

While not trying to be bad-hearted to make these drivers and smokers get fined, I wish that they be considerate and selfless enough to park at nearby car parks to reduce congestion and risk to other road users, help reduce air pollution. It's getting warmer, there are more storms and more people having cancer. (Of course, there are many other causes but these are one of the contributions.)

post-134478-0-43313100-1540195660_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

A familiar scene outside primary schools.

Parents and guardians waiting in their cars to pick up their children at mid day.

Most primary schools are located in HDB neighbourhood where car parks are plenty. Yet, these drivers choose to park along public roads despite the continuous white line in the middle of a narrow road.

And the engines are idling!

More sheltered areas have now been gazetted as non-smoking areas. Yet, it remains a common sight to see cigarettes being lit up at HDB void decks, sheltered walkways outside HDB shops, at overhead bridges.

While not trying to be bad-hearted to make these drivers and smokers get fined, I wish that they be considerate and selfless enough to park at nearby car parks to reduce congestion and risk to other road users, help reduce air pollution. It's getting warmer, there are more storms and more people having cancer. (Of course, there are many other causes but these are one of the contributions.)

Please poh mata
  • Praise 3

Singaporeans?....Considerate? :XD:

No offense but you must be young and naive...and single. Wait til you have children, see whether you will be considerate like what you say now. If really want to be considerate ppl won't be driving or riding anything that leaves a carbon footprint.

If I want to be nasty I will say stop talk kok cos you are driving too, right? So stop being righteous and judge others.

Singaporeans?....Considerate? XD.png

No offense but you must be young and naive...and single. Wait til you have children, see whether you will be considerate like what you say now. If really want to be considerate ppl won't be driving or riding anything that leaves a carbon footprint.

If I want to be nasty I will say stop talk kok cos you are driving too, right? So stop being righteous and judge others.

I disagree that having children in any way causes a person or gives a person leeway to not be considerate.

If anything, all the more a parent should set a good example for the kids.

If I am right, you are referring to how a parent should not compromise the child. But there is a difference between that and being considerate. 

I also do not agree that considerate means must not do anything that leaves a carbon footprint. We all choose our lifestyles, but I do n ot think it is right to say that because it is impossible to be considerate about everything, then there is no need to be considerate about anything.

Try within reasonable means. I think that is where the difference in opinions lie - perhaps to you it is not reasonable to expect parents to park at the nearest car park to pick up the child from school. I have a different opinion.  

• Praise 5

still relevant

Seen CISCO not enforcing, only take pictures and leave.  Same vehicle parks where there is single white line for more than a month already.

NEA is seen at Orchard Road and City Square.

Guess the enforcement approach is measured.

Parents, schools, NEA and LTA all have to come in to solve this. Not all children are driven, so the rest how do they solve their transportation issue?

If we build schools near homes but parents want children to travel from east to west to the preferred schools, then better also arrange a prefeered mean so as not to cause inconvenience to others. MOE also has to ensure every corner of Singapore have schools of.every standard by evenly distributing their teachers. Afterall builings are pretty standard right?

If brand is a an issue, call them RI 1. 2. 3 4...

I think got to live with all this ups and inconveniences; in the old days schools gates were open so cars could come in to pick up , now with all this security thingy schools have to be secured ; Cars have to wait outside..... but I agree engines must be switched off, be it if the car is a B&B or even a Bentley... then again if its like that kind of 2pm to 5 pm heavy strong sun, I am at a loss of words for them 

Talk about going carlite... people blame everything on the Govt, pretty easy but we bring it upon ourselves; I guess the lax enforcement is due to discretion maybe practised since the Agencies know also people are picking up kids and done in a short while, so live and let live lah guys          

social consciousness is probably the way to go. Whatever you do, always consider for the others. Would you cause inconvenience and danger to other users? Is this the only way you can do it? Why you and what if other did the same. 

Sorry Hor....This is Singapore. Very rare to see social consciousness . A bit of thing, tempers will flare up already.

And the video may appear on FB as well.

Are we on the way towards a country with good social behaviour? Nah......

social consciousness is probably the way to go. Whatever you do, always consider for the others. Would you cause inconvenience and danger to other users? Is this the only way you can do it? Why you and what if other did the same. 

During LKY time, rules were quite strictly enforced. But ppl kpkb say communist state lah, fine city lah, feeling suffocated lah....

• Praise 1

"Enforcement" in Singapore to me is quoting statistics at the end of the year by the relevant ministers.

Like for instance, "we have apprehended 1500 drink driving offenders this year, an increase/decrease of x% over last year"...

Kind of like a meet-quota exercise personally.

Edited by Weez911
  • Praise 6

"Enforcement" in Singapore to me is quoting statistics at the end of the year by the relevant ministers.

Like for instance, "we have apprehended 1500 drink driving offenders this year, an increase/decrease of x% over last year"...

I think it's called KPIs.

:D

• Praise 2

wah ...same when we work leh

if id and close all the gaps in a single year, can wait to be retrenched the next year liao

for job sustainability sake, keep some for future years lah

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1